• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
here is a photo

dukeduchess.jpg

he seems to be wearing some sort of a 4x1 double breasted , no?

Sebastian

Reaction score
I think the Duke is wearing a 4x2 with only the bottom button closed.
This, in his opinion creates a longer lapel line and so helpes to elongate the torso.

armaniwang07

Reaction score
Body shape
Like the three-button single-breasted suit, a double-breasted suit looks best on a man of medium or tall build. However, any man can wear the double-breasted provided the jacket is tailored at the waist. This is the one suit jacket that every man should have tailored to his torso. By bringing in the waistline, the wearer's shoulders become more prominent. Smaller men can actually benefit from the double-breasted profile. And even if your waistline is wider than your shoulder width, the overlapping lapels can help to hide that waistline spread.
Lapels
Double-breasted suit jackets should always have peak lapels. Notched lapels were sometimes seen in the early 1990s as designers flirted with various styles and cuts, but the shape of the jacket dictates a peaked lapel that accentuates the shoulders.
Buttons
The smaller the neck opening, or rather the higher the lapels cross over your chest, the greater number of buttons your jacket will have. The double-breasted suit is marked by two rows of vertical buttons. The optimal number is a six-button jacket with two rows of three buttons on the outside and one additional closure button on the inside.

Fabric and colors
The double-breasted has always been considered a conservative suit choice, but the style is timeless. It looks best in a fine all-season wool that can be worn from autumn to late spring and into summer. The sheer amount of fabric and coverage in the jacket are not ideal during the hotter months. Choose a dark blue with either a pinstripe or windowpane pattern. The pinstripe is more formal and can be worn for business or evenings out. The windowpane lightens the profile and adds a dash of sporting athleticism to the cut. If this is your only suit, skip the black wool and go with a solid dark-navy blue that allows multiple tie and accessory options.
Trousers
Plain-front trousers have become the norm, but a double-breasted suit demands a trouser with a pleat at the waist and hefty cuff at the ankle. The suit jacket is simply too imposing and will look top-heavy without the pleat or the cuff.
Shirt styles and accessories
A straight collar is acceptable, but take advantage of the broad shoulder profile of this suit and wear a wide-spread collar shirt. The jacket itself hides much of your tie and a spread collar widens the shoulder and neck area, allowing the tie to become an additional focal point. For more formal events wear a French-cuffed shirt with cuff links that reflect your personality. Whether or not you wear a French cuff or cuff links, you ought to wear a pocket square. You may feel too dressed up in this casual age, but when has a beautiful woman ever remarked how much she likes a man because he always dresses down? With this in mind, don't be afraid to learn how to fold a pocket square and add a touch of class to your wardrobe. You can even wear the pocket square when you pair the suit with a dark-colored turtleneck for that quick weekend dinner in the city or last-minute business flight.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by armaniwang07
Choose a dark blue with either a pinstripe or windowpane pattern. The pinstripe is more formal and can be worn for business or evenings out. The windowpane lightens the profile and adds a dash of sporting athleticism to the cut. If this is your only suit, skip the black wool and go with a solid dark-navy blue that allows multiple tie and accessory options.

What if you prefer charcoal to navy (which I absolutely do)?

If your preference (or absolute preference) is for charcoal and you can only own one suit overall (or two suits overall-one suit for each six month timeframe, May through October, when it is warmer and November through April, when it is colder), from a versatility standpoint (outfits that allow multiple accessory and tie options, etcetera) and all around, is a solid charcoal suit (double breasted, vested or otherwise) a good substitute for a solid navy suit?

Personally, vested suits with a low cut two-button single breasted jacket and a medium cut (possibly 1/4 of an inch on the low cut side) 6 X 5 button single breasted vest (both with a notch lapel) are a trademark for me. However, I have to be honest; the double breasted suits pictured here are extremely elegant.
thumbs-up.gif

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Good to see you posting, Oxxford.

- B

Thank you, voxsartoria. But that doesn't answer my questions. So is charcoal a good substitute for navy (in all of the ways I described and asked about, of course)?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
Thank you, voxsartoria. But that doesn't answer my questions. So is charcoal a good substitute for navy (in all of the ways I described and asked about, of course)?

Not in all ways, only those where it is, but not those where it isn't (and by those that aren't, they are not the ways in which it is).

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
i didn't know a skinny guy like mafoo (no offense) could pull off double breasted suit so well!

MLIW

Reaction score
Prince Charles seem to look fairly refined in most of his public appearances

peaklapel1089

Reaction score
Guy Ritchie was wearing pinstriped double-breasted suits for a time and I thought they looked good on him. I don't know about buttoning the bottom button, like he is doing, but I see that Prince Charles does it from time to time.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beeeeeeees