• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting! On the left shoe, near the front of the lacing - see the little curl in the leather? Mine also do that on one shoe. Weird, I thought it was just my pair.
Yeah, these have some “anomalies”. Due to the Dainite soles, they have a kinda perma-curl that’s more pronounced on the left shoe. I suspect this is distorting the pattern slightly.

Personally, I’m not going to do Dainite soles again.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, these have some “anomalies”. Due to the Dainite soles, they have a kinda perma-curl that’s more pronounced on the left shoe. I suspect this is distorting the pattern slightly.

Personally, I’m not going to do Dainite soles again.

I'll rant about Dainites until the day I die.

I don't know what they're good for. They are like skates on ice, and wet smooth surfaces.

Sure, they can perform well on pavements and grass. But so can leather soles.

Yeah, they're thin and appropriate in look for dressier footwear. But so is Vibram 430, or Dr. Soles, or even a rubber sole saver over leather.

All that to say, I just don't understand why Dainite exists.

actionjbone

Reaction score
They exist because someone paid Harobo Rubber Company to start making soles.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that AE "flaws" occur across the board, in terms of their models.

Take a look at MacNeils in shell. They all seem to curl in the same spots, despite the variety of owners and their walking styles, gait, etc.
They can do examples without flaws:

2021 Strand Weave
IMG_2381.jpeg

2013 Shelton
IMG_1114.jpeg

1987 Something-or-other (Dover I think)
IMG_1015.jpeg

1996 Clifton
IMG_0990.jpeg

2008 Manchester
IMG_1047.jpeg

2014 Broadstreet
IMG_2941.jpeg

1987 Fifth Avenue
IMG_0274.jpeg

2018 Suede Cornwallis
IMG_0022.jpeg

2015 Carlyle
IMG_0878.jpeg

2006’ish Whatever they renamed Brentwood to
IMG_2331.jpeg

(I have more, but I’m probably becoming annoying.)

So they can get it right, but they also will crap our disasters from time to time:

IMG_2414.jpeg

Now I happen to like the hot mess above, but I also paid a fraction of full price for this pair of “firsts”.

And yeah, they’ll often have minor things (going all the way back). The 80’s stuff tends to have the fewest issues, while 70’s and mid 2010’s have the most.

Edit: My MacNeils (admittedly, not shell) don’t have any weird curl thing going on:

IMG_3072.jpeg

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll rant about Dainites until the day I die.

I don't know what they're good for. They are like skates on ice, and wet smooth surfaces.

Sure, they can perform well on pavements and grass. But so can leather soles.

Yeah, they're thin and appropriate in look for dressier footwear. But so is Vibram 430, or Dr. Soles, or even a rubber sole saver over leather.

You got me. I find them hard, squeaky on tile and hardwood floors, they don’t “breath” but are also weirdly “cold”, and I’ve never found them to be any better than leather on slippery surfaces.

My biggest knock on Dainite is how hard and unyielding they are. With a regular AE (or other all leather shoe) you have a leather insole, cork, and a leather outsole, all of which do a great job with shock absorption and comfort (IMHO). These Dainite soles suck for extensive standing or walking, and basically remove half of what makes an AE shoe comfortable. Compared to my Neumoks, with AE’s excellent and durable Butyl soles, these Dainite soles are pretty terrible.

I don’t wear these Strandmoks often, so the soles have minimal wear, but I’ve considered getting them resoled with leather, just to improve their wearability.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You got me. I find them hard, squeaky on tile and hardwood floors, they don’t “breath” but are also weirdly “cold”, and I’ve never found them to be any better than leather on slippery surfaces.

My biggest knock on Dainite is how hard and unyielding they are. With a regular AE (or other all leather shoe) you have a leather insole, cork, and a leather outsole, all of which do a great job with shock absorption and comfort (IMHO). These Dainite soles suck for extensive standing or walking, and basically remove half of what makes an AE shoe comfortable. Compared to my Neumoks, with AE’s excellent and durable Butyl soles, these Dainite soles are pretty terrible.

I don’t wear these Strandmoks often, so the soles have minimal wear, but I’ve considered getting them resoled with leather, just to improve their wearability.

Yes, I also find them hard when walking on them.

actionjbone

Reaction score
So they can get it right, but they also will crap our disasters from time to time:

View attachment 2191751

Now I happen to like the hot mess above, but I also paid a fraction of full price for this pair of “firsts”.
Man, I REALLY wanted to love my Vernons. Gorgeous silhouette and interesting details. But I find them SO uncomfortable. I didn't know enough about lasts back when I got them.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I REALLY wanted to love my Vernons. Gorgeous silhouette and interesting details. But I find them SO uncomfortable. I didn't know enough about lasts back when I got them.
I love my Vernons, they just happen to be “Monday Morning” shoes (as in made by a crew hungover from Sunday night). I have narrow weirdly shaped feet, so they work well for me.

My “last disaster” (as in a last that totally doesn’t fit my foot), are these Shelton 2.0’s on the 201 last:

IMG_2384.jpeg

The 201 is like a more rounded, higher instep version of the old 4 last. On my foot it’s just a mess. It’s not uncomfortable, so much as awkward and bad looking. The whole neck of the shoe is just collapsing, most severely on my left foot, leading to this gloopy look and bad creasing (you can see what I mean even off the foot, with trees in them).

They fit and almost look like boot that isn’t a boot. For me, it’s an unworkable last because there’s just too much shoe up top. I took these shoes out of rotation and haven’t figured out what to do with them yet (though I did wear the hell out of them for a while). Maybe they need to be culled.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim Golfen Harvest today…
IMG_6142.jpeg
IMG_6143.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might just have to gift a pair of these to @suitforcourt :

1716960430691.png

1716960462981.png

I think these will make a real statement to the court, really upping his defense attorney game.

Some highlights:

“CONSTRUCTION: Crafted from handcrafted durable synthetic leather for great comfort, durability, water resistance and breathability”

“STYLISH CLASSIC DESIGN: Multi-color patchwork design paired with classic brogues and wingtips make the shoes more stylish.”

“HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: This stylish men's derby oxford has a rubber sole, which is light and wear-resistant, provides good cushioning, increases shock absorption and relieves foot fatigue.”

All this handcrafted synthetic leather can be yours for $52.99 (USD) from Amazon.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I had not considered this option (and those look great, BTW). What color did those start out as? Did you use a specific dye?

I started with some standard 93602s, stripped and dyed. Details are here and here. My efforts were based on this FB post.

screen-shot-2021-03-29-at-11-14-55-am-png.1583797

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That pair of GH I missed out on looks like was relisted at double the price and sold again for some undisclosed offer. Likely for a tidy profit. I am still trying to decide if I even want a pair thanks to the color. I almost would prefer a green shoe.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sfs