• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barack Obama on "nice suits"

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Especially these days where college is the new high school.
Exactly. Even the elite institutions have foolish students at them. They follow all sorts of people/ideas/groups with such blind acceptance it is frightening. Obama and his rather empty eloquence being no exception.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
blackplantano, i'm not sure, are you an obama supporter? you haven't made it clear
rolleyes.gif

What are you really saying? Speak your mind.

Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Bad news for you. College kids are probably the most ignorant, closed minded group of people I have ever met. I say this devoid of anything else mentioned in the thread.

Not really. I think people get more close minded as they age.
They might not agree with your opinions, but college kids as a whole are far more open to new ideas than middle age adults, whose believes are almost set in stone.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano

Not really. I think people get more close minded as they age.
They might not agree with your opinions, but college kids as a whole are far more open to new ideas than middle age adults, whose believes are almost set in stone.

I would agree. I suppose I misspoke to their close mindedness. But I'll say this not because I have any more faith in college students, but because society and other factors, particularly time, tend to close minds and create idealogues.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This whole post is bullshit. 1. It has nothing to do with middle/low class, he is saying to help others instead of chasing after money. Is that so hard to understand? There is no talk of evil riches. 2. His house/wealth is irrelevant. irrelevant. He could be a drug dealer selling coke to other senators while ******* lara bush on the side. If a republican then is found sniffing coke with a hooker, and Obama says it's a horrible thing, he would still be right. It would make him a hypocrite, but he is still right. The person making the comment does not reflect the validity of a statement. In this case, Obama has to have a senator's salary to make a change in the world, so I see no problem. 3. The college part is silly. This isn't the 60/70's. Apperently, you haven't heard of business school.
To each his own, and i think its hypocritical coming from someone obviously doing very well for himself, not that i hold that against anyone, i dont. The person making the statement has everything to do with the statement itself. I could go around stating true-isms all day, but if they had nothing to do with my lifestyle it would be hypocritical. I'm IN business school, i think you need to learn to respect that other people have opinions. I dont know how long its been since you've been in college, but i would say, being in college and working i know more about the current state of opinions held by college kids then someone who isnt in college. But i could be wrong.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting back to Obama's comment, I think he disses "nice suits" to deflect criticism that's he's a dandy.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Getting back to Obama's comment, I think he disses "nice suits" to deflect criticism that's he's a dandy.

I don't think it's really about the suit. "The suit" is just the vehicle he uses to make a point. It's just that since this is a fashion forum, the emphasis is placed on clothes.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
To each his own, and i think its hypocritical coming from someone obviously doing very well for himself, not that i hold that against anyone, i dont.
The person making the statement has everything to do with the statement itself.

I could go around stating true-isms all day, but if they had nothing to do with my lifestyle it would be hypocritical.

I'm IN business school, i think you need to learn to respect that other people have opinions.

I dont know how long its been since you've been in college, but i would say, being in college and working i know more about the current state of opinions held by college kids then someone who isnt in college.
But i could be wrong.

I respect you opinion.

You must understand that if a killer says killing is wrong, that does not invalidate his valid statement. It would only make him a hypocrite.
Obama is not a hypocrite for saying what he said, but even if he was, his statement is valid because the validity is not affected by the person putting forth the claim.

What I said above is not open to opinion. It is in every logic/ critical thinking textbook. I suggest taking a critical thinking class, it's one of those classes that are actually useful in life.

Also, I work but i'm also in college. So yea...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With all due respect, i dont need to take a class on thinking to hold my own opinion on subjects, i appreciate the suggestion.
Brian

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
FYI - Obama didn't just talk about suits in his remarks to the graduates...

Originally Posted by Barry
It's because you have an obligation to yourself, because our individual salvation depends on our collective salvation

Salvation? Leave the preaching to the pastors.
laugh.gif

I can't stand hearing this jackass extoll the virtues of such a trivial relic of an organization as the Peace Corps during a time of war... we're trying to get recruiting up and he's telling his little minions to join the Peace Corps?
confused.gif

Shows where his priorities are.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
With all due respect, i dont need to take a class on thinking to hold my own opinion on subjects, i appreciate the suggestion.
Brian

It was not meant to suggest that you can't think or anything offensive. It's a class that I think everybody should take.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
has college ever not been the new high school?

Yes. When college was college and egalitarianism wasn't the name of the game. When, if you sucked, college told you you sucked. Now they flower it up and give you a C, and then a degree.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Undergraduate education is devolving into customer service.

I think Obama wears Canali.

Nashville

Reaction score
This whole post is bullshit.
1. It has nothing to do with middle/low class, he is saying to help others instead of chasing after money. Is that so hard to understand? There is no talk of evil riches.

2. His house/wealth is irrelevant. irrelevant. He could be a drug dealer selling coke to other senators while ******* lara bush on the side. If a republican then is found sniffing coke with a hooker, and Obama says it's a horrible thing, he would still be right. It would make him a hypocrite, but he is still right. The person making the comment does not reflect the validity of a statement. In this case, Obama has to have a senator's salary to make a change in the world, so I see no problem.

3. The college part is silly. This isn't the 60/70's. Apperently, you haven't heard of business school.

in other words washington will still be in better shape if the republics continue to screw prostitutes and chase young males through the senate house begging for gay sex.

bingusa

Reaction score
Is this a post belonging to the directory Style Forum > Men's Style > Men's Clothing. I thought I was in wrong directory :) Peace.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L