• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barack Obama on "nice suits"

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a Wesleyan grad, and I watched the entire speech on a webcast.

His point re 'nice suits' was not that one should not look good, nor not earn money, but that is is not the only goal and, as his own experience suggests, it is nothing one needs to do right away.

The major message of the speech was to build on the service ethos of the Kennedy brothers. His cred here comes from taking a job soon after school as a community organizer in Chicago, which he said paid 12K/year. Even 20 years ago this was not much at all.

Now he is worth several million dollars, most of which he earned from book royalties. Good for him.

Whether he wears Burberry or something else, he has a good body for clothes and knows how things should fit....that's a lot of the game right there, whether one pays $500 or $5000.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound like an Obama cult follower. This is the reason why this country is heading in gutter. We have a lot of people who vote solely based on race. I hope McCain destroy this Cassius like tool of a candidate. I'm willing to bet Obama has a gold toilet like Oprah.
Originally Posted by blackplatano
This whole post is bullshit. 1. It has nothing to do with middle/low class, he is saying to help others instead of chasing after money. Is that so hard to understand? There is no talk of evil riches. 2. His house/wealth is irrelevant. irrelevant. He could be a drug dealer selling coke to other senators while ******* lara bush on the side. If a republican then is found sniffing coke with a hooker, and Obama says it's a horrible thing, he would still be right. It would make him a hypocrite, but he is still right. The person making the comment does not reflect the validity of a statement. In this case, Obama has to have a senator's salary to make a change in the world, so I see no problem. 3. The college part is silly. This isn't the 60/70's. Apperently, you haven't heard of business school.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
It was a lot of work deleting racist comments back and forth. Next time I blow away the thread and ban those who make the comments, at least temporarily.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
You sound like an Obama cult follower. This is the reason why this country is heading in gutter. We have a lot of people who vote solely based on race. I hope McCain destroy this Cassius like tool of a candidate.

I'm willing to bet Obama has a gold toilet like Oprah.

Jeesus don't get your thong in a twist.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Says the guy whose avatar is someone taking a leak
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Jeesus don't get your thong in a twist.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nashville
in other words washington will still be in better shape if the republics continue to screw prostitutes and chase young males through the senate house begging for gay sex.

You are an idiot if that's what you got from my post.

Originally Posted by Coho
You sound like an Obama cult follower. This is the reason why this country is heading in gutter. We have a lot of people who vote solely based on race. I hope McCain destroy this Cassius like tool of a candidate.

I'm willing to bet Obama has a gold toilet like Oprah.

First of all, who said I voted solely on race?
How am I supporting obama politicaly outside the context of this thread?

You have a lot political baggage and make a lot of assumptions about me

Persiflage

Reaction score
Originally Posted by discostu004
i'm confused, doesn't he live in a $1.7M house?

None of the candidates are living in what could be described as an average home:

Currently, Hillary Clinton's home is a five-bedroom, four-bathroom, $1.7 million house in Chappaqua, N.Y., while Barack Obama owns a $1.65 million Georgian revival home in Chicago's Kenwood neighborhood, located on the city's South Side.

John McCain's home is a $4.72 million luxury condo near Biltmore Fashion Park in Phoenix and Mitt Romney owns a $1.77 million home in Belmont, Mass. Meanwhile, Mike Huckabee is making do with a $540,000 home in North Little Rock, Ark.
http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...idential-Cribs

Persiflage

Reaction score
Oooh, better information here. I knew there was much missing in that previous piece:

The McCain family owns at least seven properties, including a spread in rural Arizona. In the past four years the Republican's wealthy wife, Cindy, has spent roughly $11 million on real estate, buying three condos in Phoenix and two in California, across the bay from San Diego.

Sen. Clinton and former President Bill Clinton likely own the most-expensive property among the three candidates, a stately home in the Observatory Circle neighborhood of Washington that cost $2.85 million in 2001 and now is worth about $5 million. (Value estimates are based on an averaging of property-valuation Web sites, local broker assessments and real-estate listings and records; the candidates' campaigns were contacted about the findings.) But the Clintons also once owned the most modest property, their first home together: a tiny house in Fayetteville, Ark., that cost $20,500 in 1975. It has since been converted into a Clinton museum.

Meanwhile, Sen. Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, paid $1.65 million for their Chicago house in 2005 -- the rough market peak -- and have seen its value stagnate, if not decline slightly. The purchase came after the success of Mr. Obama's best-selling memoir, "Dreams From My Father." That same year, the couple sold their Chicago condo for $415,000, $137,500 more than they paid for it in 1993.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...53E29A6BA1D%7D

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
blah blah blah Obama Obama I love Obama, oh Obama, stroke me, oh Obama, oh oh oh oh, Obama Obama, Obama is always right, even if he was poor selling crack he'd still be the one for me.

-1 for Fanboy-ism.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by discostu004
i'm confused, doesn't he live in a $1.7M house?
First of all, Stu - it's really hard to respond seriously to your question, because I just want to motorboat that avatar
laugh.gif
But yes, Obama has a house currently worth about $1.8 million in Chicago. Then again, Clinton has a house valued at $2.6 million in New York and a $5 million mansion in D.C. The McCain's sold their house down the street from me for $3.2 million in 2006, but they still own at least 7 other properties, including condos in Phoenix, San Diego and Arlington, VA plus their ranch in Sedona with a total value of about $12.5 million. EDIT - Persiflage beat me to it.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would hazard that a $540,000 house in North Little Rock might be a helluva lot better abode than a million+-dollar home in more pricey cities and neighborhoods. A million-dollar home in my neck of the wood is no more than lower-upper-middle class or maybe upper middle-middle class.

As for Obama being a "dandy," I just don't see it. He is an attractive and well-turned out figure but hardly a dandy. Now, Willie Brown, there is a dandified poltician if ever there was one! FDR and HST had distinctly dandiacal tendencies, as Manton points out in his book, but since then I don't think any president could qualify as a true dandy. JFK was styish and elegant, but I don't think he was really dandified.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
First of all, Stu - it's really hard to respond seriously to your question, because I just want to motorboat that avatar
laugh.gif

But yes, Obama has a house currently worth about $1.8 million in Chicago.

Then again, Clinton has a house valued at $2.6 million in New York and a $5 million mansion in D.C.

The McCain's sold their house down the street from me for $3.2 million in 2006, but they still own at least 7 other properties, including condos in Phoenix, San Diego and Arlington, VA plus their ranch in Sedona with a total value of about $12.5 million.

EDIT - Persiflage beat me to it.

Motorboatin' mother ******!! HAHA....now thats my style.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you Jan for getting us back to subject of suits!

I agree that Obama is not a dandy. I think its more that his look is different than the typical politician and in some regard harkens back to the JFK/RFK style. In looking at his pictures, he seems to be wearing dark navy or black suits with narrow lapels, double side vents and flat front pants. When he wears ties, he seems to wear darker colors and he tends to stick to white shirts. It's almost an Ivy league, 1950's or early 60's look.

This is of course in contrast to the standard politician look of navy blue suit with single vent jacket, pleated pants and blue or white shirt with a red tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads