• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styling cues from the Royals?

Tibo

Reaction score
C'mon, you gotta give credit to the chap on his left for the tie and the smile.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
C'mon, you gotta give credit to the chap on his left for the tie and the smile.

Yes, not bad for a Brit!
crackup[1].gif

John Ellis

Reaction score
Prince Charles is the same age as me. It would be as ridiculous for me to model my style on Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt as it would be for Prince Charles. I'm continually amazed at the paucity of imagination reflected in some of the comments posted here. I largely agree with the remarks made about the pic of Charles at the pub, it's pretty dire, but over the long haul he has been a model of how to dress in any situation. If I googled him I could find a hundred pictures of him looking fantastic in everthing from morning dress to a kilt. In any case the idea that one's dress style is drawn for one source is absurd. In my case it ranges from Cary Grant to Andy Warhol who if I remember correctly started the fashion for wearing blue jeans with a double breasted blue blazer. Of course we have to recognize Charles has infinite resources but he looks pretty good most of the time as do most members of Royal families in Europe. One of my favorites is the King of Sweden. He's not so obviously Saville Row as Charles but always looks exceptional in a very understated way. He also has a nice line in eyeglasses.

Clench Million

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
In addition to being part of the Royal family, the Prince is 59 years old. It is unreasonable to to criticize him because he does not dress like a pop star. It would be very age-inappropriate besides being unacceptable to his public. Besides, from the point of view of classic style, he dresses very well.

I'm not criticizing him as a 59 year old man, I'm just disagreeing that he is some fashion icon who regular people should aspire to dress like.

Prince Charles wears tailored expensive suits. This puts him above 99% of the population. Beyond the tailoring and the expense, I don't see anything about his outfits that would or should make him a fashion icon. I think your average person would do much better to aspire to look like George Clooney than Prince Charles.

Of course, I wouldn't aspire to look like either so maybe I should stop defending hollywood.

As per the OP's question, I still maintain that th Royals are pretty outdated and irrelevant as far as international fashion icons go.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see a lot of people who wear tailored, expensive suits, and very few of them look as good as Prince Chuck.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
I see a lot of people who wear tailored, expensive suits, and very few of them look as good as Prince Chuck.

Exactly. Leaving aside Clooney's pics in the glossy magazines, none of the "stylish" celebrities dress all that well on an everyday basis.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
I was watchin the NBA playoffs and every coach I saw (not named Poppovich) looked a lot sharper and more stylish than Ol' Chuckles.

Then you and I simply differ on what it takes to be well-dressed.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
I'm not criticizing him as a 59 year old man, I'm just disagreeing that he is some fashion icon who regular people should aspire to dress like. Prince Charles wears tailored expensive suits. This puts him above 99% of the population. Beyond the tailoring and the expense, I don't see anything about his outfits that would or should make him a fashion icon. I think your average person would do much better to aspire to look like George Clooney than Prince Charles. Of course, I wouldn't aspire to look like either so maybe I should stop defending hollywood. As per the OP's question, I still maintain that th Royals are pretty outdated and irrelevant as far as international fashion icons go.
You seem to be engaging in "cruiserfication"... As I indicated, from the point of view of one who aspires to classic style as described by Roetzel, Molloy, Flusser, Keers, et al., I can tell yo that he dresses quite well. But you seem to be indicating that he looks bad. If so, you are wrong. What would you suggest he do differently? Remember, he has to be appropriate to his social class and his public. If he dressed like George Clooney or Luca di Montezemolo (http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...ckets-fit.html) the press in England would tear him to shreds. You are entitled to your opinion, but it is also good to have some background on the subject on which one comments.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
BRETTGEORGE16X20B.jpg
I take my styling cues from George Brett

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
.Prince Charles is the same age as me. It would be as ridiculous for me to model my style on Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt as it would be for Prince Charles...
Exactly my point!
...If I googled him I could find a hundred pictures of him looking fantastic in everthing from morning dress to a kilt...
From the point of view of their social class, stylisitc paradigm, and role in their society, the members of the various royal families in europe are perfect models for dress and style.
...the King of Sweden....
Another fine example. HRH King Juan Carlos I of Spain (http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...-for-king.html) as well.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to ignore both the royals and the celebrities. Both groups employ shocking levels of blandness.

Clench Million

Reaction score
But you seem to be indicating that he looks bad. If so, you are wrong. What would you suggest he do differently?

Fashion is fairly subjective. It is pretty silly to say someone is "wrong" in claiming an outfit doesn't look good on someone.

But if you want my opinion, in that picture I'd say his tone color matching is bad. The outfit serves to make him look even pastier and blaher than normaly. Even just a bit darker shade of blue in the shirt would help. The tie is bland and doesn't go well with the rest of the outfit, imho. Also looks funny around his neck, but maybe that is just the picture. Pocket square looks like a crumbled up fast food wrapper, though again that might just be the picture.

Nothing about it gives off a sense of individual style. Beyond the fact that his suit is peaked and double breasted (a look I think he fails to pull off, but...) and he has french cuffs he looks pretty much like every middle manager in america in that photo.

Bland color suit with a light blue shirt and a bland striped tie.

To each his own though.

Clench Million

Reaction score
:
Originally Posted by John Ellis View Post
.Prince Charles is the same age as me. It would be as ridiculous for me to model my style on Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt as it would be for Prince Charles...

Who said anything about people in their 50s dressing like Johnny Depp?

There are PLENTY of stylish Hollywood people who are in their 50s, you know.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hawaiianshirt