• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zee's Leatherware & Shoe Co.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's an interesting, but somewhat involved (and expensive?), approach to get Zee's shoes. Does Zee carry the higher end hides? Would it not be worth your while to look into Vass (where you may get a better quality product, but may not be bespoke)?

If you mean the upper, actually their upper calf is high end, they are french calf from Tannerie d'Annonay.

blackers

Reaction score
EDIT: Just wondering about the Lee's tailor around the corner from Zee's. The times I went there they seemed pretty popular so I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with them and roughly how much they charge for a suit?

They are called Lee Baron, the proprietor is Peter Lee. Plenty of discussion of them on the Hong Kong tailors thread on this forum. Basically they are well regarded on these forums as a good value mid-priced tailor for suits and shirts. I recently got quoted $5500 for a fully canvassed suit in VBC 110 material. It would cheaper for half canvas.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It actually isn't that bad, I think Zee's boots were around $350/400 US; the last hopefully will be about the same, and the patina only a couple hundred... bespoke shoes in the US start at around $1500 and you could wait 8 months for it. Zee's value is their speed. No higher end hides when I was there. I have too many weird requests to go with RTW shoes.

If you mean the upper, actually their upper calf is high end, they are french calf from Tannerie d'Annonay.

Interesting - many thanks.

Mmmanmkii

Reaction score
So I asked them about the cost of Danite soles today when I went to pick up my shoes.

Danite soles will cost you an extra $100HKBucks, which really isn't that much to be honest.

Also the shoes I ordered came out great. The black lining on the edges of the soles are much much better this time around. For $1700HKD I could really do a lot worse, considering M&S shoes go from 1200-1900 and Clarks from 1300-3000, I'd be hard pressed to find better for that price in my opinion.

EDIT: Went around polishing the shoes a bit and here's some photos:

Top picture is a comparison shot. The shoe on the right in the picture is the shoe with the shop polish rubbed off with some water. The one on the left is the shoe after a bit of polish.

Both shoes with some polish. I think they would look even better after I add on another layer before I head of to work tomorrow morning. Also the photos were taken without flash in case anyone is wondering.

Last edited:

blackers

Reaction score
Some of my existing M&S dress shoes need resoling and I'd like to change them to Dainites if possible. A Google search suggest that no shoe repairers in Hong Kong stock Dainite soles. But Zee's does. So:

1) Does anyone know if Zee's will sell you just a pair of Dainite soles?
2) If I managed to get a pair of Dainite soles and took them to a shoe repairer (say, Shing Do in Pedder Lane) would they use them?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of my existing M&S dress shoes need resoling and I'd like to change them to Dainites if possible. A Google search suggest that no shoe repairers in Hong Kong stock Dainite soles. But Zee's does. So:

1) Does anyone know if Zee's will sell you just a pair of Dainite soles?
2) If I managed to get a pair of Dainite soles and took them to a shoe repairer (say, Shing Do in Pedder Lane) would they use them?

Just ask Zee to resole it for you.

blackers

Reaction score
Yes, they do resole.
Just tell Zee that fishball told you to come.
mwink[1].gif
They actually know you as Fishball?!

I can just see it now -
"Fishball said you will resole my shoes"
"What did he say?"
"I don't know, something about a talking fishball. I think he's high."

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H
They actually know you as Fishball?!

I can just see it now -
"Fishball said you will resole my shoes"
"What did he say?"
"I don't know, something about a talking fishball. I think he's high."

Haha, yes, they know me as fishball. :)

pogiguy

Reaction score
I just contacted Zee's and they informed me that goodyear welting is only available with double leather soles. If i want single leather soles, then blake construction is the only option.

Does anybody have any pictures to show their double soled goodyear construction? Not sure I'll go that route if they appear to be too thick/ heavy.

Thanks.

blackers

Reaction score
So I picked up a pair of black semi-brogues two weeks ago. I will post photos when I get the chance.

The good is that they look great. The toe was not quite round but very slightly square which I am slightly miffed about. I gave them a photo of another shoe (which possibly had a square toe, hard to tell from the photo) to show them the brogue pattern I wanted but clearly told them I wanted a round toe, both at the original order and again at the fitting (when the canvas shoes they produced had square pointy toes). Still I am not unhappy with the result.

The bad is that they are really stiff. Have worn them about four days so far. After the first two, I was suffering severe "toe crunch" (where the upper folds just above the toe box when you walk and pushes down hard on your big toe) so I applied a generous amount of Saphir dubbin graisse and left them for several days. They are now noticeably softer - the toe crunch effect is still there but less severe, I am hoping it will pass with time.

The bigger issue is that the right shoe is a bit firm around the side of the ball of my foot. Just needs another millimetre or two. Can I take them back to be stretched? Do they do this while you wait or do you have to leave the shoe?

I got Dainite soles and they are great, very comfortable. They've got a little bounce in them which you don't get with leather.

I asked for a Goodyear welt but I'm not at all sure that's what I got. Looking at the sole stitching I honestly can't tell if it is on the inside or the outside of the upper. The edge of the shoe does have some jet black polish covering up something but I can't get a proper look. When I asked about GY welt with Dainite soles, I got the usual "yep" response which in Hong Kong can either mean they can do it or they can't do it but they don't want to say no. I am not that worried as long as the construction is solid.

Fishball, I showed them my existing (M&S Sartorial) shoes and asked if they could put on Dainite soles and they said no. No explanation of why not though. Since then however I have noticed some stitching coming loose on the upper on those shoes so they are headed for the bin once the soles wear out.

Faustuses

Reaction score
All else equal, what's everyone's opinion on how Zee's compares to Meermin or AE in terms of construction/materials?

I'm committed to a couple pairs at this price bracket. 8D is perfect so there's not too much value in the fitted aspect, just want the best value for the cost.

I personally like Meermin's style much more than AE's.

Last edited:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All else equal, what's everyone's opinion on how Zee's compares to Meermin or AE in terms of construction/materials?

I'm committed to a couple pairs at this price bracket. 8D is perfect so there's not too much value in the fitted aspect, just want the best value for the cost.

I personally like Meermin's style much more than AE's.

I've had some fit issues with Zee's but they will fix them and the materials are not the best but you get what you pay for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads