• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zee's Leatherware & Shoe Co.

Penfold

Reaction score
No way on earth of finding shoes to fit my 12.5UK feet here in Hong Kong so gave Zee's a spin. Perfectly satisfied for the price - 1600 HKD still for suede and 1700 HKD for calf - and given the impossibility of buying anything else in my size. That said these will never deceive anyone who knows what a good shoe is and who could inspect them for more than 5 seconds. Nearest comparison I guess to a major brand for quality etc would be Loakes.

The last they used for these must have been immensely long since the shoes are far longer than my RTW Trickers full brogues.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just got my 2nd pair of shoes from Zee's.

Like my first pair, they are comfortable and fit well.  Darkest brown calf w/ matching suede.  Goodyear welted.

I've read that goodyear welted shoes are extremely stiff and take some time getting broken in, but these already have pretty good flex and I don't feel will need a lot of time to break in.  

Nice job Zee's.

darkbrnnsuede2_zpsefb80415.jpg

c7b25e60-ea4b-482d-b68a-a162b17ea26c_zps95dd8926.jpg

Best pair of Zee's I've seen

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I picked up a pair of black semi-brogues two weeks ago. I will post photos when I get the chance.

The bad is that they are really stiff. Have worn them about four days so far. After the first two, I was suffering severe "toe crunch" (where the upper folds just above the toe box when you walk and pushes down hard on your big toe) so I applied a generous amount of Saphir dubbin graisse and left them for several days. They are now noticeably softer - the toe crunch effect is still there but less severe, I am hoping it will pass with time.

I have the same problem with my first pair of shoes (I previously ordered only boots). The first time I did extensive walking with the shoe (around 4 hours) I got a blister on top of my big toe joint of one of my feet. I'm wondering whether this problem will go away, or whether the shoe simply doesn't fit.

blackers

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my first pair of shoes (I previously ordered only boots). The first time I did extensive walking with the shoe (around 4 hours) I got a blister on top of my big toe joint of one of my feet. I'm wondering whether this problem will go away, or whether the shoe simply doesn't fit.

The Dubbin lessened the problem but it was still uncomfortable so I took the shoe back to be stretched and that fixed the problem completely. If you're still in HK take it back to Zee's and they'll do it for free in a couple of days, otherwise I'm sure any decent cobbler will do this for a fee. And Zee's must have slightly adjusted the size on my pattern because subsequent pairs have not had this problem.

Last edited:

pogiguy

Reaction score
Thanks ThinkDerm.

I wore those shoes to work yesterday and then walked across town to a dinner. They look good, fit well and are comfortable.

I have 2 pairs of Zees shoes and I say their service, fair prices and good quality are an excellent value.

baromatic

Reaction score
Following up with my satorial adventure this month left me with great results working with David & Zee at Zee's Leather.

Sharing my loafers (goodyear welt), and the awesome results:

(please! excuse my starch looking ankles ;-))

Last edited:

Penfold

Reaction score
Nice - think I might get some funky coloured suede (dark red) loafers made soon.

baromatic

Reaction score
Thanx! I see you're loving the suede Penfold.... On my list are some dark navy dainite suede chukkas but may wait till fall.

Last edited:

baromatic

Reaction score
YAY OR NAY??Just want to get everyone's opinion on this Double Monk with a square toe.

Originally my though thoughts were you wouldn't catch me with a square toe but was wonder what is the consensus out there ?? :cry:

Last edited:

baromatic

Reaction score

That's quite funny Penfold.
Well, feeling my gut telling me the square shape will make me eventually break down and cry I brought it back to Zee's.
Without any expectation, they transformed the toe box and molded it alike the round toe it was most desired to be. Not a bad result, definitely wearable... Zee's story.

Last edited:

urban

Reaction score
Amazing result. I should have done that. But i am not in Hong Kong that frequently.

baromatic

Reaction score
Well not really amazing looking. I would have liked it if they got it right the first time.
Even with a photo of a round toe, and confirming it, the workshop still produces a square toe.

I'm sure they can do it anytime you are back. All there is to do is set the shoe on the last and pound away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads