• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your preferred trouser material/color against this jacket

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
grey flannels

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Found the book. Colors are much different than what is rendered on a monitor.Has some gold tones that I didn't pick up on. The medium to dark greys work better than lighter greys. you won't have any trouble finding a grey you like. Dark browns worked pretty well too. The celery flannel looked pretty good with it. Not my first choice but in the top 3.

Holland & Sherry cloth # 855303, not sure what book this is and 954006 or 954208 from the Dakota Book

Scabal Pegasus book, 500473 and 500478. Both are twills.
Royal Gabardine Book, 500674, olive/brown twill. 500666 Charcoal Grey Doeskin Gabardine. This grey gab and a blue shirt, you could wear this look anywhere. Bet I have made over 50 pairs of this trouser.

Some good colors in the Smith Woollens Finmeresco Book, 4033 & 4035. 4071 is a blue that looks sort of funky but sort of works with the jacket.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I looked and could not locate the Scabal book the sample is from but I have a very muted celery green/grey flannel that I will match up when I find the book. If it works, can send you a swatch. I see moleskin trousers with this jacket too.

I appreciate that, Chris. Thanks!

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1ef4.jpg

1dNo.jpg

1ef1.jpg

Kinda liking the light brown/cream.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This jacketing is difficult to match up. I had the sample in front of me and it takes just the right colors and tone to work. You will have to be specific in your choices. Not the kind of jacket that works with random shades of cloth. The gold tones in the jacket are such that it limits you to specific colors. It was hard to find contrasts that didn't look sort of "matchy". If they didn't have the matchy element, the colors clashed.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have not seen that cloth in person but I think you are overthinking it CG. Dark coats work with pretty much anything. I can't think of a "normal" color (shades of grey, brown etc) that would really look off with that coat. As long as you are not planning on wearing some funky dark short with it, you shouldn't have any issues.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, Chris. Ed, I agree and I will wear with several things that work "fine" as you suggest as this will mostly be casual. But I'd also like something that really sets it off. One pair that looks just right with it for occasionally dressing it up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads