• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

you guys are probably sick of threads like this, but can you help a guy out

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
You are about to go to college, your tastes will change atleast once during college atleast mine did. Also, books,tuition,dates,booze,etc are all things which will cost. I think 500$ is more than you should probably spend, but thats the lower end of the spectrum and you can build a decent enough foundation upon which you can tweak/alter/get rid of later as your tastes change/improve.

this is what I would consider basics, that look sharp enough for someone in your position, are accessible and work well dressy/casual

1 chambray (you are big enough dickies from walmart would fit right if you sized down to L)-15$
1 white oxford-25$ @ Target
white chucks/black jack purcells 100$ @ zappos. com
Levis 501xx (do a search on sizing)- 35-50$ levis.com
1 grey v-neck sweater-60$
Flat front Chinos- 25$ Target
5 basic tees- 50$ @ Target
2 basic polos - 30$ @ Target
1 black hoodie - 20$ (more if you like I suppose)
1 Denim Jacket - 65$ levis.com

This should leave enough left to pick up some ties/a watch, and some decent dress shoes if you aren't opposed to thrift stores/ebay.

robbie

jcool20010

Reaction score
I think this place has what I'm looking for. I don't want to wear a suit to school, but I can still look sharp.

Robbie, you think Chinos would be ok for a 250 pound blonde haired kid? I never thought I could pull them off, but sometimes my view of myself is skewed.

I like the list, thanks. That's the type of post I was fishing for.

Thanks for the help guys.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcool20010
I think this place has what I'm looking for.
No... See, you believe you are set for jeans wearing those. That's fine, you are certainly entitled to your tastes, but we cannot help you if you believe this. It is impossible for people here (myself among them) to reconcile some of the stuff you think is fine with their own tastes. The first thing you will be told by nearly anyone here is to buy a pair of slim fitting raw denim.

jcool20010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
No... See, you believe you are set for jeans wearing those. That's fine, you are certainly entitled to your tastes, but we cannot help you if you believe this. It is impossible for people here (myself among them) to reconcile some of the stuff you think is fine with their own tastes. The first thing you will be told by nearly anyone here is to buy a pair of slim fitting raw denim.

Keep in mind those are not the exact jeans. Mine are darker.

Also, I have to get loose jeans, because they end up tighter. I'm an offensive lineman, I squat almost 450 pounds and deadlift about 500, I have huge thighs and hamstrings and glutes, so I have to buy jeans with room around the leg just so I can get into them.

And if you don't think this is the place for me, any reccommendations? I'll never rip someone because of how they want to dress, I just want to learn how to dress my style better and sharper.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a Junior in high school and I've been reading around this forum a lot and this is what I have filtered down from all the reading I have done. I'll go from head to toe.

Hats - Only a simple beanie in the winter. High school approved hats are New Eras that give that gangster/skater vibe and Styleforum approved hats will make people think you are an old man.

Glasses - The main thing with glasses/sunglasses are that they fit your face shape, so don't go buying Wayfarers or Aviators just because. They need to fit your face shape. And also don't buy Oakleys unless you're doing a sport because they give too much of that sports vibe.

Earrings - Don't do it.

Shirts - I'll break this down a bit.

T-Shirts - A couple of plain t-shirts. For nice white T-Shirts try the Kirkland Signature white t-shirts found at Costco. Maybe get a grey or black or just a few colors that you like. You shouldn't get the obnoxiously bright colored ones though. As a high school student I also like to wear graphic T-Shirts and I have changed to buying only t-shirts with no excessive branding and the ones with clean designs. Wearing your football team T-shirt occasionally is ok. Don't buy Abercrombie/Hollister/Ecko/LRG/Quiksilver etc., T-shirts. Athletic brand stuff should only be used for athletics. I have like Superman T-Shirts and Coca Cola T-Shirts that I think are fine. Try not to buy those really stupid slogan T-shirts that say like "your boobs are staring at my eyes" though because those are stupid.

Dressier shirts - I haven't really been worrying about this. The key in StyleForum is that fit comes first. A $10 **** that fits you well is better than a $5000 shirt that doesn't. Just buy a few shirts in basic colors... For most people this would be white, blue, and pink. The few dress shirts I own are ones that I got on sale.

Other shirts - Plaid shirts or more specifically flannels have become quite popular recently but I think with your frame you might end up looking like a farmer. If you see some just try it on anyway and see if you like the look. Girls might find it 'cute' if you look like a farmer so whatever.

Other tops - Sweaters - Get sweaters in basic colors. My favorite sweater is a darkish grey sweater. You can mix it up with the crew neck/v-neck. Don't think that the v-neck looks 'gay'. I don't see myself wearing a V-neck t-shirt but I would wear a v-neck sweater over a crew neck t-shirt.

Belts - I think you're set. Maybe get a spare belt that looks nice and classy and just keep that for formal occasions. If you want there is a member here called unlucky that makes high quality leather belts for $55 each or you can check out Tanner Leather Goods (google it) for some higher quality stuff.

PANTS

Jeans - Most people here prefer raw denim. They are like plain jeans that haven't been treated and they are usually very dark and slightly stiffer than normal jeans. If you have a couple more $$ to spend buy APC NS. When you're 6'5 I don't think skinny jeans are a particularly good look but definitely get some more slim fitting jeans. If you want to give raw denim a try buy the Levis 501XX STF (Shrink-To-Fit). You can find these at Macys and some other stores. They will feel a lot harder and stiffer. I would just buy true to size on these. Just buy the pair that you can barely button up (I know it says Shrink) but after a few wears it will stretch out again.

Shorts - It might pass off as 'gay' if you wear your shorts a bit shorter than everyone else so for High School Just wear them not past your knees. If cargo shorts are your thing don't buy super destroyed ones but just buy more plain looking shorts.

Chinos - These are a bit dressier. I haven't really been in a situation where i would need chinos so far so I can't really give you my opinion on this. If you want khaki colored pants just go with a pair of khaki colored pair of jeans (There is a khaki 501 STF so if you want take a look at those)

Socks - Most people in school probably wear white socks. For socks I'd go with socks that have no visible logo when wearing shoes. As an athlete you'll probably wear a lot of those white athletic socks. White socks are a bit of a nono here. The most common color would be black so start buying colored sock over white socks. A reason for this is that white socks get dirty easier so it looks nastier when people see your dirty white socks than your dirty black socks/

Shoes - Buy classic looking sneakers in more conservative colors. Don't be afraid to buy white shoes. All white shoes are better looking than all black shoes and don't be afraid that 'they'll get dirty'. I think that the worn white canvas sneaker looks nice. As stated more classic sneakers are better so look at black or white converse/vans. adidas Stan Smiths and adidas Sambas are also some popular shoes around here. If you must wear Nikes like Nike Dunks you should buy something like

nike-dunk-vntg-nd-sail-black.jpg

instead of

Nike%20Dunk%20Low%20SB%20Skate%20or%20Die.jpg

Boat shoes are good.

Again feel free to break some of these things. I know a lot of things that people at StyleForum would say no to like a Shaquille O'Neal T-Shirt but I like Shaq so I feel comfortable with wearing a Shaquille O'Neal T-shirt. People at StyleForum are not huge fans of Air Jordans as sneakers but I still wear the occasional Air Jordan. People do not judge your appearance as much when you are young but that doesn't mean you should dress like complete trash.

Hope that helped.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice is to not spend much until you've reached your goal weight. You also don't seem to be 250, but whatever. Also try not to get to roped into the groupthink here.
smile.gif

pharrow59

Reaction score
basics are your friend: tees, button-ups, sweaters, polos, etc.

what should set you apart is how well your clothes fit. look at the waywt threads. don't get caught up in specifically what people are wearing but pay attention to fit--shoulder seams spot on, not too mch fabric around the waist, slim but not tight all around, etc.

and don't spend too much at your age and budget. maybe one nice pair of dress shoes--i had to go to a few dressier events in college. if you don't need them yet, hold off until you get interviews and such.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsgtfo1984