• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellow Gold Wedding Band

lexmichaelpg

Reaction score
I just got married. My husband used his parents' wedding bands (they died when he was young) so it wasn't something I had to think about for him. For me, he kept his choice a secret until day of. He chose an absolutely beautiful, very plain 18 k yellow gold band in 7 mm, with a high dome. Alone it's absolutely beautiful, but I would never choose it for myself as I don't wear yellow gold for any other pieces of jewelry. Otherwise it is exactly my taste. He chose yellow gold because his parents' bands are also in yellow gold and he wanted us to match.

I am asking if I should just bite the bullet and mix metals when I wear it (which I find tacky), take off the band when I wear other jewelry (which I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate), or exchange it for platinum (which I fear might hurt him, as he put a lot of thought into the ring). Unless I never wear another piece of jewelry again, I feel like I'm sort of in a no-win situation.

Can anyone provide some perspective?

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got married. My husband used his parents' wedding bands (they died when he was young) so it wasn't something I had to think about for him. For me, he kept his choice a secret until day of. He chose an absolutely beautiful, very plain 18 k yellow gold band in 7 mm, with a high dome. Alone it's absolutely beautiful, but I would never choose it for myself as I don't wear yellow gold for any other pieces of jewelry. Otherwise it is exactly my taste. He chose yellow gold because his parents' bands are also in yellow gold and he wanted us to match.

I am asking if I should just bite the bullet and mix jewelry when I wear it (which I find tacky), take off the band when I wear other jewelry (which I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate), or exchange it for platinum (which I fear might hurt him, as he put a lot of thought into the ring). Unless I never wear another piece of jewelry again, I feel like I'm sort of in a no-win situation.

Can anyone provide some perspective?

you could wear the ring on a necklace , my wife used to do that when her hands were a bit more sensitive .

you could think about the finish of the gold ( brushed or polished ) to see if that makes it more palatable for you . as an aside 18k yg will naturally go matte after awhile as it picks up scuffs .

realistically i've gone quite awhile without wearing my wedding band ( same with my wife we've been together for awhile ) it's just circumstance but i do remember what it was like at the beginning . congrats !

anyways i think it's totally reasonable to have an opinion about what you want to wear , if you shop yourself around and have a strong opinion about what you prefer i should think hubby might well appreciate it . but of course i don't know your relationship etc etc . best of luck

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally (and again don't know your situation) I think this would be a good opportunity to have an open discussion with your husband (congrats!). You have to wear the ring and it should make you happy. I would hope that he would prefer that you wear a ring that you love instead of you always thinking about ways to avoid wearing a ring you don't.

Ma5xy1

Reaction score
Anyways i think it's totally reasonable to have an opinion about what you want to wear

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should be able to have an opinion about something you are going to wear everyday.
I frankly let my wife pick her wedding band.

That said, a couple personal opinions on this situation:
1) Yellow gold might grow on you. I find it grows on many people as they get older. Young people like cold colors more than old people oftentimes.
2) I don't there is inherently anything wrong with mixing metals. I have a yellow gold family signet given to me at 15 and my wedding band is platinum. Beyond the fact I always wear two, if a man were to say they were never going to mix metals - a man with a yellow gold ring can't wear a stainless steel watch? Or a man with a platinum ring can't wear a gold-cased watch? Seems silly.

I think the "no mixed metals" thing is an old fashioned rule-that-never-was to be begin with.

rjc149

Reaction score
My father wears a silver-toned watch and a gold wedding band, because he likes silver-toned watches and his mother-in-law gave him a gold wedding band. There's nothing tacky about it, especially if you look at wedding jewelry beyond serving a purely aesthetic function.

I think matching metals is a "do if you can" thing. Like Catholics eating fish on Friday outside of Lent. It's not like mis-matching black and brown leather on your shoes and belt. That's an actual rule.

I would also venture to add that mixing tones on jewelry is less of an issue for women.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads