1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

These new 1000 Mile boots coming next month may satisfy the rule follower mouth breathers in this thread, if you'd wanted to dress boots up.
    It's got nothing to do with 'rule following'. It just doesn't look right. And those boots you linked won't look good either, a cap toe doesn't instantly make something 'dressy'. These boots are styled for denim, heavy chinos/duck pants etc. Not a suit. If you want boots to wear with a suit, look at C&J, Sanders, Allen Edmonds, Alden, EG etc. Wolverines are not meant to worn in that fashion, it just looks silly. I'm all for mixing shit up a bit, but there's a limit.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

It's got nothing to do with 'rule following'. It just doesn't look right.

And those boots you linked won't look good either, a cap toe doesn't instantly make something 'dressy'. These boots are styled for denim, heavy chinos/duck pants etc. Not a suit.

If you want boots to wear with a suit, look at C&J, Sanders, Allen Edmonds, Alden, EG etc. Wolverines are not meant to worn in that fashion, it just looks silly. I'm all for mixing shit up a bit, but there's a limit.

+1. He might as well be wearing sneakers. That's how out of place those boots look.

But..this guy is from Hickey Freeman? I'm sorry, but that looks worse than what J Crew has been trying to do with their workwear/suit crossover thingamajigs. Again, it's not the color, or the fact that they're boots - it's that those boots in particular look like workwear, and it makes the ensemble look awful.

3. meso

meso Senior member

He's wearing a blue suit.

No shit.
    Still full of fail.

4. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

No shit.
    Still full of fail.

By the bucketfull.

Jacket too tight, vest looks silly too (again, not 'rules' per se but just 'that looks stupid').

5. meso

meso Senior member

In all seriousness seconded on the crockett & jones or peal suggestions for "dressier" boots. Loake and Grenson make similar for more budget options.

[​IMG]

6. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

These new 1000 Mile boots coming next month may satisfy the rule follower mouth breathers in this thread, if you'd wanted to dress boots up.

Just saw the cap toe one in person - not too dressy either. Going English is probably a good idea if wearing a suit.

7. BRMC_doves

BRMC_doves Senior member

Anyone know which online shops (that accept paypal) are carrying the 1000 mile boot in black, sz 10? Would be great to get a slight discount on them if anyone knows of any sale codes. I'm located in Vancouver,BC and gravitypope is asking $385CAN and that's not including the brutal taxes out here....help me out! Thanks in advance.

~ If anyone has a slightly used pair, even in other colours, please PM if you're thinking about selling.

8. theclipper

theclipper Senior member

Can anyone comment on how much these stretch? I tried a pair on today and they were pinching one of my pinky toes. I'm wondering if I should go with these and hope they stretch enough or just go a half size up?

Thanks much.

9. Grug

Grug Senior member

Can anyone comment on what the 1000 Miles are like for wide feet and orthotics? The style is very much what I'm looking for, but because my feet splay out quite widely at the ball and because I need to wear orthotics, it tends to be a bit of nightmare to find comfortable fitting shoes.

10. Rollox

Rollox Member

I'm a size 9.5D in motorcycle boots ( harness, engineer etc ) and I picked up a pair of these in 9.5D and they are tight around the ankle when I have thick socks on but lots of room in the toe. First pair of boots I ever got that were TOO narrow for me, don't buy before trying them on if you can help it.

11. Grug

Grug Senior member

Yeah, I feared that might be the case. I can't find anywhere here in Australia that stocks them (and could therefore allow me to try them out for size). I've just come across these Oxford "Ronan Biker Boots" on sale though, and I think they look pretty good. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Rollox

Rollox Member

What part of Australia? I'm in SE QLD and ordered from revolve, but I tried them on in a store in Brisbane. There are a bunch of retailers all over VIC.

13. Grug

Grug Senior member

I'm in Melbourne, do you know any of the retailers? I've searched and searched but can only find online stores selling them locally.

14. Rollox

Rollox Member

[FONT=verdana,geneva]116 Queen StreetMelbourne VIC 3000(03) 9670 2010 - McClouds SHoes[/FONT]
    191 Little Collins Street[FONT=verdana,geneva]Melbourne VIC 3000(03) 9650 5344 - Prime, there is one in fitzroy too I think but I lost the address, also [/FONT]http://www.thewalkingcompany.com.au/twcnew/brands-wolverine-men
    Just expect to pay a super inflated price if you're buying in store and not online.

15. Grug

Grug Senior member

Argh! I just got back from buying the other ones :embar: oh well, hard to turn down 70% off. I'm still going to look into the 1000 Miles anyway, I figure it's worth at least seeing how they fit. Thanks for the details, much appreciated.