Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

The Winchester, by the way, looks much dressier and reminds me a lot of the Trickers.

2. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Actually, the Ascots are pretty much as 'generic brown boot' as you can get. I'll probably resole with a leather sole when I get the chance.

Does it taste bad when you talk out of your ass?

3. pauliec

pauliec Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any reviews + more pictures for these boots? These look very, very nice, but I can't figure out how dressy they might be.

4. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

I havn't seen any.

The more I look at that picture, the less I like the boot. It's too clunky for the balmoral lacing. An unfortunate blend of different aesthetics. Sort of like putting lipstick on a pig. That said, I think it's one of those things one has to see in real life.

I wouldn't mind at all of Wolverine tried its hand at a proper dress boot, one on a sleeker last.

5. pauliec

All due respect, I don't think it's meant to be a proper dress boot. I think it's more of a beat the hell out of, go anywhere boot that also cleans up nice. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

6. hxh_killua

hxh_killua Senior member

For those that have bought a boot tree for your boots, what size did you go with for Woodlore for your boot size?

I got one from Woodlore for size 9 and it came way too large.

7. Willin

Willin Senior member

I just brought my newly acquired 1000 Mile's in Rust to a local NYC cobbler with a good reputation to get rubber soles affixed to them. I was on the fence on doing so but on the first night I wore them it rained and my feet got soaked.

I told them not to polish them because I wanted to do research first and take the proper precautions to not have the color change. The cobbler said that he will only use clear polish and that it should be fine on the boot. I said that's fine.

Do you guys think an experienced cobbler applying clear polish will screw up the color of the boot? I am assuming it's fine I just wanted to make sure because I can still call them up and tell them not to polish the boots.

Thanks for info.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

8. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

It shouldn't make much of a difference, I didn't use any polish on mine, just leather conditioners (snoseal and a dubbin) because I didn't want any shine or gloss. However, a clear polish won't make a difference.

9. pauliec

It's odd to me that boots called "Wolverine 1000 Mile" -- a name that evokes a lifetime of adventure and utility, leak like a sieve during one rainstorm.

10. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Did you waterproof them?

11. pauliec

I don't have a pair -- am currently debating them. I'm just replying to Willin's post.

12. brianG

brianG Senior member

I'm in the exact same situation. I live in NYC and just bought a pair, and would like to get rubber soles to prepare for the fall/winter. Do you mind posting pics/details once your's come back from the cobbler?

13. Gruntle

Gruntle Senior member

Just dropped off the 1000 mile boot off at the local cobbler, He recommended continental brand toppy, they had the most traction. I'll post picks tomorrow after I pick them up. If he does a good job I'll do my addison boots too.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

14. Willin

Willin Senior member

Sure - I'll post pics and details as soon as I can. I get them back tomorrow but I'm straight off to Philly for the weekend after that. I should clarify that I was coming off the subway to meet my brother by Wall street for happy hour. When I came out it was an absolute torrential downpour and I didn't have much choice but to walk through the rain to the bar. So I am sure the boots can do ok in moderate moisture. At the same time though, they are boots and I expect to be able to trudge through weather to an extent and not have my feet get soaked through the leather outsole. The thin rubber being applied should work wonders.