• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

I just recently purchased some Wolverine 1ks in cordovan colour. They're really nice, but i'm a bit concerned about the leather on one side of one of the boots, it looks cracked and i'm not sure if it's ok or not. I have an album here with some good and some not so good photos: http://imgur.com/a/FMtUB

Could someone who is more knowledgeable than I, give me some insight into this? Are they bad enough to send back, or am I just being too paranoid? I just applied some Saphir Renovateur so hopefully that will make a difference.  Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

They aren't cracked.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is how the leather is before they put the boot together when they picked and assembled the boot. They probably put it on the inside hoping the customer wouldnt mind.

malaysian

Reaction score
It is worth change soles for winter, or will am I able to do without it? Just don't want to slip in these boots :/

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh really? Is this just normal?

Yes it's normal. The leather is full grain pull up so all the surface variations associated with this type of leather are to be expected. From what I see in your pictures looks to be nothing more than a typical grain pattern.

This is what real cracks look like. This is caused by very fine dust and dirt particles that have penetrated into the leather. The number one way to destroy leather boots is to let mud dry on them. It'll suck all the oils out of the leather and if you just put them on and go all those micro razor blades will embed deeper and deeper into the leather. These particles are very abrasive and cut the leather at a microscopic level. Over time these fine lines develop and eventually this area will fail. This type of condition is typically found in high flex areas only. With proper cleaning and care this condition can be kept in check for quite some time. It is impossible to mitigate this entirely. It's just what happens to well used leather. What you see has taken four years to develop. I wear these boots for months on end and in conditions yours will probably never see. Again what you see is not cracked leather. Not even close.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is worth change soles for winter, or will am I able to do without it? Just don't want to slip in these boots :/

Only you can answer that. Other solutions are ice crampons, Yak Trax and an overshoe.

loug

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently purchased some Wolverine 1ks in cordovan colour. They're really nice, but i'm a bit concerned about the leather on one side of one of the boots, it looks cracked and i'm not sure if it's ok or not. I have an album here with some good and some not so good photos: http://imgur.com/a/FMtUB

Could someone who is more knowledgeable than I, give me some insight into this? Are they bad enough to send back, or am I just being too paranoid? I just applied some Saphir Renovateur so hopefully that will make a difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Looks ok to me, had a spot or two on the black 1k's but its real leather from a cow or other animal, think its a cow. Only the manufacturer knows and the only leather that is perfect out of the box is plather. Don't like it personally cause it makes the feet sweat more.

CR78

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Emersons, or has anyone seen them in person? If so, what are your opinions.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks ok to me, had a spot or two on the black 1k's but its real leather from a cow or other animal, think its a cow.  Only the manufacturer knows and the only leather that is perfect out of the box is plather.  Don't like it personally cause it makes the feet sweat more.

It's cow hide and the manufacturer tells you what leather is used for the USA made line. It all comes from Horween Leather in Chicago and data sheets/info on each leather can be found on Nick's site. Pleather is not leather at all. It's plastic so it's a pointless comparison. "Perfect" leather is available. It's commonly called corrected grain leather. Another way to get "perfect" leather is to emboss it with some kind of pattern.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any experience with the Emersons, or has anyone seen them in person? If so, what are your opinions.

The Emerson and Rowan models are USA made and are a collab between Filson and Wolverine. Both are solid boots but IMO the sole choice just sucks. A Vibram gumlight or other fully lugged black Vibram sole would make more sense for a field boot type of design.

CR78

Reaction score

The Emerson and Rowan models are USA made and are a collab between Filson and Wolverine. Both are solid boots but IMO the sole choice just sucks. A Vibram gumlight or other fully lugged black Vibram sole would make more sense for a field boot type of design.

I totally agree with you about the sole. While I love the upper, buying a $440 boot with a sole you intend to change immediately is a tough pill to swallow.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I totally agree with you about the sole. While I love the upper, buying a $440 boot with a sole you intend to change immediately is a tough pill to swallow.

Yes it is. Now if you can tolerate the sole for a while that would be an altogether different matter. The Courtland is a moc toe that's very similar and it has a decent looking sole.

cogbog

Reaction score

Crane's, I've been following this thread for a while and really appreciate your posts. It's been great watching your 1ks age. Nice to see an update. Anyway, you were saying the above pic is of cracking? Looks different from what I expected. Could you get rid of some of that embedded dust with a good cleaning? Any estimate on how much more of your torture these boots could take?

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mario calling Mario! since you're the resideny shine master how would you like to write up a detailed how to? I'm not qualified to write that up. LOL!

Sounds good. I just got back from an install so it's a perfect opportunity to clean them up; I'll get on it this weekend.

Joker007

Reaction score
@ Crane's: Your 1K boot with the "cracked leather" shown on the Picture you attached . which colour is it? Rust or Brown?

Reg

Chris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads