• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ Crane's: Your 1K boot with the "cracked leather" shown on the Picture you attached . which colour is it? Rust or Brown?

Reg

Chris

They're brown. Since then I did a writeup on how to clean them. Instead of oiling them as usual I decided to wax them up to show how well they can look after 7 or 8 months worth of snow mud and water. I used a little #8 cream wax. Now they're a pair of rust or cordovan 1Ks. LOL.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Willin

Reaction score

The first how to is up. We got about 8 more in the works.

Waterproofing your 1000 Mile boot.

I look forward to this series but I believe you should preface your guide by stating that waterproofing your boots can darken the color. I seem to remember this when I was researching buying my rust 1k's. I didn't want to darken them so I have never waterproofed them.

My request for the next entry is to explain your process for basic polishing care without the waterproofing? Thanks again!

Last edited:

nevereast

Reaction score
djr2YpV.jpg

Got them today. Didn't find much on these whole researching. Will do mini review soon in this thread for ppl searching

@crane's you sure about beeswax on this kinda leather?

Last edited:

nevereast

Reaction score

I look forward to this series but I believe you should preface your guide by stating that waterproofing your boots can darken the color. I seem to remember this when I was researching buying my rust 1k's. I didn't want to darken them so I have never waterproofed them.

My request for the next entry is to explain your process for basic polishing care without the waterproofing? Thanks again!

Out of the box:
LpY1aO3.jpg

A few months later with 2 coats of obenaufs LP the crane's method. Darkened a lot during application but this is probably within 25 mins. I wouldn't day the color changes much. Lack of natural light makes a bigger difference in these pics
SZY8KvB.jpg

Last edited:

Willin

Reaction score

Additionally you should supply convenient links on where we can buy the necessary items like Obenauf's, etc!

TripleVision

Reaction score
I have only worn my 1k Miles (2nds) twice, and the stitching connecting the tongue to the boot is starting to come off from the inside. Would this issue adversely affect the life of these boots? I still have time to send them back to the seller for a refund (no exchange though) if needed. The left picture shows the issue at hand, and the right picture shows what the stitching normally looks like.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

djr2YpV.jpg

Got them today. Didn't find much on these whole researching. Will do mini review soon in this thread for ppl searching

@crane's you sure about beeswax on this kinda leather?

Austen, brown predator leather correct?

AmericanLion

Reaction score

I just inherited these Brown 1Ks from a buddy of mine. I don't believe they have ever been oiled or waterproofed. What steps do I need to take in order to restore them? I have a pair of Rust W1k and I am familiar with Cranes Method of oiling and waterproofing. Should I take a brush and try to knock this dirt off and then oil them? I saw up above that Crane used some #8 cream to rejuvenate his. Could anybody give me a little help on what I should do with these?

EDIT: Some more pics

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saddle soap those first. Get as much of the crud as possible off of them. Then apply a light coat of boot oil. Let them sit for a few days and apply another light coat. After a few more days flex the leather a bit to loosen it up a bit. Using a hair dryer to warm up the leather some will help get the oil to penetrate deep. While you're at it apply some oil to the inside surfaces of the boot as well. If those boots are as dry as I think they are you want to take your time with them before you actually wear them. It certainly wouldn't hurt to use LP or Sno-Seal on those before you wear them too.

Last edited:

AmericanLion

Reaction score
Yeah..he let these get in rough condition. We both got a pair at the same time and I tried to warn him to oil and WP them! So this is about a year of wear doing neither and not cleaning that much either. Thanks Crane! I will post pics here in a few days after I baby them up!

AmericanLion

Reaction score

Come to find out that my buddy did Oil them when he first bought them with some Obes. They weren't as stiff as the picture made them out to be. However, they were very dusty and grimy. The pictures above are after I brushed them and cleaned them with some saddle soap. I could already tell a difference and see some life spark into them! Have a huge dent in the toe box but I am not too worried about it..gives it a little bit of character! I am going to apply a little coat of Obe's Leather Oil here in a bit.

This is after I applied the Leather Oil. I took a hair dryer to them to help the leather soak up those oils and will let them sit over night as well. Depending on what they look and feel like tomorrow I might do another coat of oil or go straight ahead with some LP.

Crane what is #8 Shoe Wax? I would love to get the same results you have there! Those boots have some character man!

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's what it said online

The box came with a tab that said "aniline chromexcel"

It seems like that chromexcel tag ends up in boxes that it shouldn't be in. With that said both types are chrome tanned with a heavy vegetable retannage. Predator has an additional step of being tumbled. In any case both leathers are finished off with vegetable tanning and are a smooth full grain leather. So yes LP or Sno-Seal is what's used to waterproof them. Chromexcel, predator, dublin, bridle, and shell are all examples of full grain leather that's either vegetable tanned or finished by a vegetable retannage. You condition and waterproof all of them the same way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads