• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Pecan89

Reaction score
Speedhooks damaging jeans? Better watch out for keys in your pocket too

Are most of you guys commenting on heel slip using all the speed hooks? Really makes a difference. Really think the wrap around the ankle then not using the speed hooks is unattractive and impractical
Depending on what I'm doing I'll lace up 1 or 3 of the hooks

For time to time I'll hit the sole with some PitchBlend. What's some of you guys policy on oiling the sole?

malaysian

Reaction score
Haha I didn't realised they were joking. Sorry kinda new to boots and stuff so didn't want to do anything "wrong." My denim is kinda precious to me, especially when it cost more than the boots itself. Anyway so I should lace em up to the highest hook?
Also, almost slipped on the street today in these boots. Any advise on how to make the soles more slip resistant? Besides adding another sole?

Last edited:

OlafG

Reaction score
Haha I didn't realised they were joking. Sorry kinda new to boots and stuff so didn't want to do anything "wrong." My denim is kinda precious to me, especially when it cost more than the boots itself. Anyway so I should lace em up to the highest hook?
Also, almost slipped on the street today in these boots. Any advise on how to make the soles more slip resistant? Besides adding another sole?

Leather soles are going to be slippery, especially when they are new. They'll get a little bit better once worn in, but you could add a Topy sole.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Ya, I got what I wanted, in a runaround way, lol. Wanted a commando sole. We'll see how it holds up.

Mario,if the job was done reasonably well they'll be fine. My brown 1Ks are going on 3 years commando style without any issues other than they're about due for replacement from wear.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speedhooks damaging jeans? Better watch out for keys in your pocket too

Are most of you guys commenting on heel slip using all the speed hooks? Really makes a difference. Really think the wrap around the ankle then not using the speed hooks is unattractive and impractical
Depending on what I'm doing I'll lace up 1 or 3 of the hooks

For time to time I'll hit the sole with some PitchBlend. What's some of you guys policy on oiling the sole?

Yes, when the boots are laced up traditionally a very slight heel slip is to be expected. There are several ways you can make this less noticeable if it really bothers you. Buy custom fitted boots, try different socks, add some form of insole or learn how to tie them using the heel lock lacing method.

Treating the bottom of the soles? I tried that once thanks to some SF prodding. Never again. Walking on old worn asphalt in the summer was like walking on wet snot covered ice in the rain.

loug

Reaction score

try wrapping postal rubber bands around the front of the boot. this will add a little rubber to the sole inexpensively. heard leather soles worn on rainy days can be slippryer than dog crap on a rainy day but haven't had any problems. not weaing leather soles in the rain.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lacing a boot. This is something that really hasn't been touched on much but learning a few tricks from the hiking crowd will most likely solve a whole lot of issues that people have with sizing and certain fit issues. I can think of a few lacing tricks that would most likely solve a lot of these issues. The heel lock is one of them, so is window paning and section locks. Here's two videos that explain some of the issues and how to deal with them by doing nothing more than changing lacing patterns. These few little tricks are worth knowing and using.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

cthip

Reaction score

Thanks. Ya, I got what I wanted, in a runaround way, lol. Wanted a commando sole. We'll see how it holds up.

Mario,if the job was done reasonably well they'll be fine. My brown 1Ks are going on 3 years commando style without any issues other than they're about due for replacement from wear.

Yep I've got two years on my 1K with commando soles and they're still good for at least another winter, probably more. I did notice that my boots got significantly heavier when I put the commando sole on, but the improved durability and grip were well worth it!

Last edited:

loug

Reaction score
"Thank you for your inquiry. The Russell Field boot is not made here in the USA. They are made in the Dominican Republic or China. I hope this answers your question."

TactileOne

Reaction score
Has anyone resoled their 1000 mile boots with commando soles? If so can you share the results.

OlafG

Reaction score
It's a picture posted on this same page...

Why do people have to be so lazy?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads