• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why do certain people seem to inherently exude style

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
Everybody's suggestions here are good. Confidence and projecting an attitude in your costume is what will reflect in your statement.
A suggestion I make to our customers who are just starting to explore their expression of style is to seek style expressions in magazines that appeal to you and try to create them with your present wardrobe. Visit a reputable store and try on outfits ( if they will not let you try on things or help you create outfits, find another store that will ), get good honest advice, bring a friend you trust along for a critique.
Physique is important but you do not have to have a killer body to look good, just an eye that says that's not good on me because it doesn't flatter or this is what I feel looks good, Today!
The day does matter. I believe a certain psychology goes into dressing and the way we feel on an given day is important to take into consideration.
If you ever want to pm me your outfit creations, I will do my best to assist you.

Gary

I agree!
If I am not feeling great I usually never dress up, and wear older, looser clothes, and sometimes even unflattering clothes, because I really don't give a crap on that given day. But if I wake up feeling great, I'll probably spend the time to dress great.

Your body is the number one thing that will help you with your appearance and clothing... tailor your body and you can wear your clothes much much better... hit the gym, run, do whatever, but stay in shape, it is very important...

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its called swagger :p

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I do think a person's height has a subtle, subconscious influence on their percieved stylishness, and have noticed this effect in the way WAYWTs are graded, for example.

Im not sure about this. I am a tall skinny bastard and usually my outfits get hated on (not standard issue SF attire, cept the jeans). I dont really care, because most of the time they are good enough and look decent on me, but just to kind of debunk your theory.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitly think that good body proportions and the knowledge to dress after them are key to looking "naturally" good. Im tall with wide shoulders and slim hips, and have a feeling id look pretty good in "most" stuff (no self ****).

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a)the kid's like 0% bodyfat, tan, tall, slim, etc

Thread over, next.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I like this thread, I wonder why I didn't see it sooner... Being tall, dark, and handsome is half the battle. Actually it's more than half the battle. Put a good-looking guy in most anything and he'll look fine. (Same thing with hot girls, almost anything they wear looks great.) Fit is another aspect that others have touched on. Being comfortable in your clothes leads to confidence, and that's another big one. But we've forgotten one component, and that's imagination. Now, I don't know if the OP's guy displayed imagination or not, I'd want to see his outfit for myself. But too often on these messageboards there emerges a groupthink on what looks good, and this is actually a hindrance to truly dressing well. I suspect the best dressed among us had personal style before they ever found SF, because creativity comes from within, not the internet.

fosho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by who8mahrice
Proportions. Most people don't understand their body type/shape and don't dress to suit it well (no pun intended).

And confidence.

I'm gonna have to agree with you.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's kind of funny that OP mentioned man bags. For me this is one of those little details that takes things to the next level.

Now I tend to feel incomplete without a tote or bag of some sort.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i ask myself this everytime i stand in front of a mirror.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think it has a lot more to do with the person inside the clothes than the clothes themselves. People who are extremely confident can pull off anything, from a thrift store shirt to a Tom Ford suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads