• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

BXpress

Reaction score
I was being, mostly, facetious. If people want to drink bourbon, drink bourbon. Most recently I've been drinking Taiwanese and Japanese....haven't bought a new bottle of Scotch in quite a while.

I've tried Kavalan Solist some 5 years ago and i couldn't stand it. The Sherry version was decent enough ( then again, all young Whiskies can be beefed up by overly active casks), but the the Bourbon cask version really showed the immaturity. Yamazaki 18 was excellent. But the Japanese Whisky hype has taken monstrous proportions and the prices are just ridiculous.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried Kavalan Solist some 5 years ago and i couldn't stand it. The Sherry version was decent enough ( then again, all young Whiskies can be beefed up by overly active casks), but the the Bourbon cask version really showed the immaturity. Yamazaki 18 was excellent. But the Japanese Whisky hype has taken monstrous proportions and the prices are just ridiculous.

There is an argument for the Kavalan King Car Conductor - I think its actually better than the more expensive Soloist. And yes, Japanese Whisky hype is real, and prices are dumb sometimes. But I'll take Nikka Coffey Malt as a daily drinker anyday.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I post on another forum that specializes in shitposting and terminally online irony posting. Really makes mafoofan look like an amateur.
Tchan?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an argument for the Kavalan King Car Conductor - I think its actually better than the more expensive Soloist. And yes, Japanese Whisky hype is real, and prices are dumb sometimes. But I'll take Nikka Coffey Malt as a daily drinker anyday.
The Nikka is quite well done. Love Scotch and the Japanese stuff. Never liked bourbon much. I have family in Woodford County, KY and drink it there but rarely anywhere else. It’s made from corn for goodness sake... Too sweet and just gives me a headache.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TheFoo needs to step in and get this thread back on track. Fresco Gilets anyone???

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There you go: www.instagram.com/p/ByaqnOOC7UY/

Ok, it is a safari jacket — slightly odd as well though.
100 Hands? Foo only needs 11 hands. I think I wrote somewhere - probably cut out of my manuscript - that every winter Charvet would drag out of storage a raw silk safari jacket for its annual sale. That thing was awesome. Maybe Foo can schedule his next shopping trip for the January sales and score it.
@Despos I didn't know Porsche made the peak boat.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too! I bought a Shun because of him. I mean, it's not a bad knife, but I feel like it's not that great either. I wish I went to Japanese Knife Imports (I think that's the name of the store)
Have you ever visited Hida Tool in Berkeley?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you ever visited Hida Tool in Berkeley?

I have! I've gone there to buy Japanese thread snippers and to have knives sharpened.

Is it actually good for purchasing kitchen knives? The store seems like it's full of nice things, but I don't know anything about knives, so have no idea whether one store is better than another.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have! I've gone there to buy Japanese thread snippers and to have knives sharpened.

Is it actually good for purchasing kitchen knives? The store seems like it's full of nice things, but I don't know anything about knives, so have no idea whether one store is better than another.
Derek needs to found J. Lorenzi: like G Lorenzi only for Japanese knives. I tried to sell him on buying a walrus penis knife from Sauveterre but he didn't have the stones. Link: Actually, foo needs some oosik in his life too. @LabelKing

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Derek needs to found J. Lorenzi: like G Lorenzi only for Japanese knives. I tried to sell him on buying a walrus penis knife from Sauveterre but he didn't have the stones. Link:

The knife you recommended was like $10,000. I can't afford that because I keep my honor (wearing a sport coat)

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The knife you recommended was like $10,000. I can't afford that because I keep my honor (wearing a sport coat)

Derek can we leave the circumcision knives alone and get back to suits and gilets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics