• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find shirts with thin button-down collars?

jkkssw

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a few shirts with thin button-down collars, similar to this APC one.

Ideally, the shirts would also be:
- slim / extra-slim cut.
- non-iron fabric (I don't need a true "non-iron" but I need something that can be worn without being ironed)
- classic color (like plain blue)
- less than 100 dollars if OTR, less than 200 dollars if MTM.

I looked at 4 major brands but could not find anything great:
The APC shirt needs to be ironed and it's 200 dollars OTR.
Brooks Brothers shirts have big collars (picture here).
Charles Tyrwhitt has only one shirt in non iron / slim fit / oxford collar, and the collar is not particularly small.
Modern Taylor does not do small oxford collars

So: would someone know where to buy shirts like this? Thanks!

Last edited:

AriG

Reaction score
just do propercloth colorado button down and you'll have tons of fabrics too choose from for 100-200$

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
- non-iron fabric (I don't need a true "non-iron" but I need something that can be worn without being ironed)

fabric is either non -iron (treated) or
regular.

some 100% cotton fabrics need less ironing then others, but they should be ironed.

fabrics can be pre-cured, treated with liquid ammonia then cut and sewn.
this method is good for maybe 20 washes. it can be a little difficult to sew.

otherwise the shirts are taped and baked. (formaldehyde) (brooks brothers, Trywitt, etc.)
these are made in specialized factories.
the company that makes for proper cloth, can make MTM shirts this way, They make some for Brooks brothers.
not sure if proper cloth uses this method.

not sure who else can do a decent non-iron MTM shirt, so you can get the collar and fit.

jkkssw

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

nmprisons: I live an hour away from NYC

AriG: Thanks for mentioning proper cloth. They have what they call a colorato BD collar which corresponds to what I'm looking for.

Carl, to be sure I understand your point, you're saying that the only shirts truly non iron are from Brooks Brothers and Charles Tyrwhitt, right?
Proper Cloth has "easy care fabric" or "wrinkle resistant" . So it seems like they're not using these specialized factories you're talking about. It is probably good enough to me as I'm looking for a relaxed shirt - it's just that I simply don't own (nor want to own) an iron.

About you: do you have these kinds fabrics that need less ironing and do you do this type of skinny collars?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads