• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When waiting in the room to board your flight, can you tell who rides 1st class?

Bruce9241

Reaction score
When waiting for my flight to start boarding I always scope out the area and watch people. I mean hell, I've got about an hour to kill so why not look at people?

Are you ever able to predict who is a first class ticket holding passenger? I think there are sure signs of this. I would say the way the person is dressed and their demeanor gives a lot away.

There was this Asian gentleman standing by himself wearing a dark grey suit and carrying a leather bag of some sort. He was in his mid 40's and had the facial features to be a prime minister of some sort. I was sure this man was a first class passenger and I was correct. I think it was more his demeanor than the way he was dressed.

While everyone else was bitching about how flight was delayed (O'Hares airport. Notorious for delays) he was just standing there by himself not saying a word. Maybe he didn't speak English, who knows.

Then there was this family of four. Caucasian family with a mother who was as ugly as Roseanne. For some reason I predicted this family to be first class passengers as well and it turned out they were. I made the prediction based on how they were dressed. It wasn't jewelry or nice watches that caught my attention, they didn't have any. It was just how nice and clean their clothes were.

So anyone else ever get completely bored at these boarding terminals and do what I do? Maybe you just read a book. That's another good option.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spend my pre-boarding time trying to edge my way into business class.

Bruce9241

Reaction score
Hmm no I was not in the first class lounge. Didn't even know one existed. It was the general boarding area.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce9241
Hmm no I was not in the first class lounge. Didn't even know one existed. It was the general boarding area.

Depends on the airline whether they have one or not. United has them at ORD.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many people who fly first class are just like you and can't afford it either - but they get in on family passes, reward points, etc.

Cavalier

Reaction score
It's not like first class are the haves, versus the rest of the plane have nots-- usually there are a bunch of different types of people flying first class.

The ones I can tell the easiest are the average joe officer worker type guys who have to fly around for work a lot. They look at home at the airport, are usually striking up conversations with everyone about a flight they were on last week. They usually have a nice little backpack with all kinds of gizmos, necessities, etc. and you may even see them offer something to someone waiting for a plane, may be a band aide, trailmix, etc

Some of this guys (the real serious ones) take unnecessary flights back and forth when good deals pop up solely to accumulate miles to maintain certain statuses. (i.e. flyer's talk forums)

fyi You can get in to most airport club lounges with an amex platinum or other perks card, along with pick which rental car on the lot you want etc.. comes in handy traveling

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce9241
When waiting for my flight to start boarding I always scope out the area and watch people. I mean hell, I've got about an hour to kill so why not look at people?

Are you ever able to predict who is a first class ticket holding passenger? I think there are sure signs of this. I would say the way the person is dressed and their demeanor gives a lot away.

There was this Asian gentleman standing by himself wearing a dark grey suit and carrying a leather bag of some sort. He was in his mid 40's and had the facial features to be a prime minister of some sort. I was sure this man was a first class passenger and I was correct. I think it was more his demeanor than the way he was dressed.

While everyone else was bitching about how flight was delayed (O'Hares airport. Notorious for delays) he was just standing there by himself not saying a word. Maybe he didn't speak English, who knows.

Then there was this family of four. Caucasian family with a mother who was as ugly as Roseanne. For some reason I predicted this family to be first class passengers as well and it turned out they were. I made the prediction based on how they were dressed. It wasn't jewelry or nice watches that caught my attention, they didn't have any. It was just how nice and clean their clothes were.

So anyone else ever get completely bored at these boarding terminals and do what I do? Maybe you just read a book. That's another good option.

Most first class passengers are probably in the executive lounge, avoiding the proletariat gaze of people like yourself, so you're a moron for trying to spot them. They always call you from the lounge minutes before you get on so usually you'd spot them because they're walking straight onto the plane.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier

fyi You can get in to most airport club lounges with an amex platinum or other perks card, along with pick which rental car on the lot you want etc.. comes in handy traveling

The perks on AMEX Platinum are great if you travel a lot, lounge access is awesome, unfortunately you can't get into the United lounge (AA, Conti, NA, Delta only)

But still fun. Car programs are good too.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This should be moved to DT.

There are partners at my firm who make over $500k per year who fly coach because that's all the client will pay for. There are people who make $50k per year whose job requires them to fly a lot who amass a ton of frequent flyer miles that allow them to upgrade to first class. There are contractors who make a ton of money and show up for a flight in track suits or jeans that fly first class.

To be able to say that you can just look at someone and figure out if they are going to fly first class or not is marsupialed.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
This should be moved to DT.

There are partners at my firm who make over $500k per year who fly coach because that's all the client will pay for. There are people who make $50k per year whose job requires them to fly a lot who amass a ton of frequent flyer miles that allow them to upgrade to first class. There are contractors who make a ton of money and show up for a flight in track suits or jeans that fly first class.

To be able to say that you can just look at someone and figure out if they are going to fly first class or not is marsupialed.

+1

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it never dawned on me to care - unless they are standing in front of me when I am trying to board during the pre-boarding.

Lucky7

Reaction score
The LAST thing on my mind before boarding is who will be flying first class. I hate to sound like a self centered prick, which I am, but all I really am concerned with is myself and who ever happens to be traveling with me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads