• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats up with UO new line

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I have always found that while sometimes you get ok designs, UO stuff fits boxy, is uncomfortable, and doesn't wear long. This is coming from someone who, at one point, thought that UO was a holy grail of shopping.

I think that's the problem with UO. People with ok taste can go in there, find better-than-average ****, feel great about it, and then never expand their aesthetic. People who treat UO as the pinnacle of shopping are usually the same ones who only listen to bands they hear about, and never listen to any good indie music. With that said, there's nothing wrong with occasionally shopping at UO or reading Pitchfork.

GY!BE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by keykoo
If you are under 21, and go to this forum or superfuture, you are probably a hipster.

incorrect, but that chambray at UO did interest me, not much else in this collection however

does anyone have any word on the quality of this "generic surplus" brand I have a sneaking suspicion that the plimsoll, although nifty looking, would fall apart way too soon

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
I think that's the problem with UO. People with ok taste can go in there, find better-than-average ****, feel great about it, and then never expand their aesthetic. People who treat UO as the pinnacle of shopping are usually the same ones who only listen to bands they hear about, and never listen to any good indie music. With that said, there's nothing wrong with occasionally shopping at UO or reading Pitchfork.
Hey now let's keep Pfork out of this hehe (mumbles under breath, "i ******* hate vampire weekend.") This being said, the problem with urban outfitters has always been that its a corporate manufactured and contrived mass-market interpretation trying to capture a culture (whatever that culture may be) that is by definition best defined by its transient Proteus-like indefinability. the whole idea of "indie" or "hipster" is not to be defined by a scene... But alas we, as "people" the group, tend to follow so that even something like pitchfork, which is supposed to follow the music that is anti-mainstream, gives way to an alternative mainstream. Then people **** themselves silly when some ivy league kids take one african percussion class at barnard, get a copy of TakeIvy, and play happy indie-pop about the RL aesthetic. Maybe this is just what happens when you find like-minded people such as yourself and get together. If the group gets big enough and attracts enough subscribers, whatever it may be that you're all together on, it can lose its vision and just becomes a bandwagon. This is why it's useless to complain about bandwagons. Everything has someone complaining about a lack of originality or a degradation of quality and music scenes, cultural groups, clothing styles, they're all susceptible to fall victim to "selling out." The best you can do is accept it and do your own thing, or not, which is fine too (someone will just be looking down and judging you, no biggie). that being said, I really like the black chambray, especially the back yoke, but those front pockets
frown.gif
http://images.urbanoutfitters.com/is...f?$detailmain$ that's just screaming "we tried to be different!" but then it just looks like some kid at the factory messed up.

tatet

Reaction score
How do UO smalls usually fit? It's kind of weird that they don't offer XS in basically anything

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Agreed. I think that UO has a good team of designers for their in-house stuff and buyers for the branded items. It's just that the quality is often terrible. UO clothes don't fall apart, but I've had quite a few look like hell after just a bit of wash and wear.

These days, I go there exclusively for gifts. You can always buy a Lomo camera or book about farting when it's someone's birthday.

Depends.

If you're really an XS... pretty bad I guess. You do fine in tees and jackets but other stuff (sweaters, button shirts, etc) can vary depending on how well you want it to fit.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
amnesiac, do you/did you go to Columbia? I don't know why else you'd know that the African percussion are at Barnard. Anyway, if you do, do you read IvyGate? They recently profiled a band from Princeton called Miracles of Modern Science which is actually really badass. It's these nerdy kids who play orchestra instruments in silver spacesuits.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
amnesiac, do you/did you go to Columbia? I don't know why else you'd know that the African percussion are at Barnard. Anyway, if you do, do you read IvyGate? They recently profiled a band from Princeton called Miracles of Modern Science which is actually really badass. It's these nerdy kids who play orchestra instruments in silver spacesuits.

I write this sitting here on the campus at this very moment. I was being sarcastic and overstated, but the African percussion classes probably are at Barnard. I believe the African dance classes are there... And I hate admitting VW are actually catchy, I just severly dislike how everyone loved all over them, how they're so obviously hooked up in the industry, and the faces the lead singer makes.

I'll check out Miracles. I usually don't keep up with IvyGate actually. Or the Spec. Just Bwog, which is great. If you don't know about it already (though you probably might) it's good stuff, especially when they're updating regularly. Keeps you up to date on the goings on around campus. Also, culpa.info is good for looking up profs, but that's a bit of a stretch. Also, they just renovated the site and its not as useful as it used to be.

I remember that you're kind of mildly obsessed (the sig gives it away tbh)
tounge.gif

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
I write this sitting here on the campus at this very moment. I was being sarcastic and overstated, but the African percussion classes probably are at Barnard. I believe the African dance classes are there... And I hate admitting VW are actually catchy, I just severly dislike how everyone loved all over them, how they're so obviously hooked up in the industry, and the faces the lead singer makes.

I'll check out Miracles. I usually don't keep up with IvyGate actually. Or the Spec. Just Bwog, which is great. If you don't know about it already (though you probably might) it's good stuff, especially when they're updating regularly. Keeps you up to date on the goings on around campus. Also, culpa.info is good for looking up profs, but that's a bit of a stretch. Also, they just renovated the site and its not as useful as it used to be.

I remember that you're kind of mildly obsessed (the sig gives it away tbh)
tounge.gif

Yeah, I read bwog. I actually launched a blog at my high school based on it, because I'm just that nerdy. Oh god.

Would you be down for meeting up or just chatting when I'm visiting campus? I'd love to hear the perspectives of kids other than those tour guides who always seem to sugarcoat things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads