• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the consensus on shirt cuff monograms? Tacky or not?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- the only one I have on file is of my GF's nick name.. She is gone now.. & so are all my Jantzen shirts.. LOL
DOT.jpg

i like this. good idea for my next mtm order

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
+1.

It's like wearing a clapboard that says: "Hey ASSHOLE. Yeah, this shirt is CUSTOM. What, you got yours at JC Penny? Ha! I wipe ****** shirts that cost more than yours. I bet your suit isn't bespoke, either! Ha. Plebeian!"

Tacky. Like having a brand name emblazoned all over your outfit.

Insecure much. Who even thinks about things like that?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wgiceman
Why should anyone really care one way or the other? If a person likes the monogram on the cuff, they should get it. If not, then don't. It seems many are obsessing over things that really don't matter. (My humble, but accurate opinion.)

I think your right about this.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessis
Inside the yoke is nice touch I think - why?.....why not?

Putting the clients initials in the inside of their shirt is standard issue on my custom shirts. Nobody has complained or asked me to remove them although on occasion I get people asking for no brand label on the inside.

trotsky

Reaction score
Only had one shirt made so far (gorgeous light blue herring bone button down long sleeved double buttoned cuffs since you ask) and had initials in the same colour on the cuffs. I had a lovely time pointing this out to all my friends at a party. As long as you enjoy the 'I'm a flash harry' bit then its cool.
Of course there will always be individual limits but i think its all about what suits your manner. Some can handle the cheese better.
Perhaps the excitement will wear off after the tenth shirt but I'm smiling even now.
smile.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
Insecure much. Who even thinks about things like that?

If I purchase custom shirts, no one else needs to know. If I want them to be monogrammed for the sake of not having them confused at the cleaners, then a discrete place, e.g. tail, inside by tag, or breast, where it's covered by my jacket.

It's just tacky, otherwise.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
If I purchase custom shirts, no one else needs to know. If I want them to be monogrammed for the sake of not having them confused at the cleaners, then a discrete place, e.g. tail, inside by tag, or breast, where it's covered by my jacket. It's just tacky, otherwise.
Do you honestly think people are looking at your cuff / care? You are taking this way to seriously. It's cool if you need to feel superior about something to get through the day I guess you can have this.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
Do you honestly think people are looking at your cuff / care? You are taking this way to seriously. It's cool if you need to feel superior about something to get through the day I guess you can have this.
Ha, let's agree to disagree here. Not trying to assert any false superiority
smile.gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wgiceman
Why should anyone really care one way or the other? If a person likes the monogram on the cuff, they should get it. If not, then don't. It seems many are obsessing over things that really don't matter. (My humble, but accurate opinion.)

+1

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I learned from going to the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance this weekend is that small-timers worry about monograms on their shirts.

Big timers get them on their cars.

They also decorate the inside with ostrich and wood.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
In Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser, on page 143, there is a picture of Fred Astaire with his jacket off, and he had his monogram on his left forearm. I loved the picture and always planned on getting my monogram there once I got my first MTM shirt. Tried to find a image of it online, but I couldn't.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
In Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser, on page 143, there is a picture of Fred Astaire with his jacket off, and he had his monogram on his left forearm.

I loved the picture and always planned on getting my monogram there once I got my first MTM shirt.

Tried to find a image of it online, but I couldn't.

Fred Astaire = Pinnacle of Class.

the law

Reaction score
+1.

It's like wearing a clapboard that says: "Hey ASSHOLE. Yeah, this shirt is CUSTOM. What, you got yours at JC Penny? Ha! I wipe ****** shirts that cost more than yours. I bet your suit isn't bespoke, either! Ha. Plebeian!"

Tacky. Like having a brand name emblazoned all over your outfit.

000172_sm.jpg

"Yeah, the guy wearing the $4,000 suit is holding the elevator for the guy who doesn't make that in four months. Come on!"

+1. Extremely tacky.

(AD reference FTW)

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
In Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser, on page 143, there is a picture of Fred Astaire with his jacket off, and he had his monogram on his left forearm.

I loved the picture and always planned on getting my monogram there once I got my first MTM shirt.

Tried to find a image of it online, but I couldn't.

I think the bottom line is, if you want a monogram, go for it. Just because some people think it's tacky doesn't make it so. Do what you want. There's nothing wrong with following the likes of Fred Astaire. If anyone thinks he was tacky, they're clearly insane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads