What's the consensus on shirt cuff monograms? Tacky or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by danielvh, Aug 11, 2009.

1. GBR

GBR Senior member

2. rlx

rlx Senior member

Not sure I understand monograms. Do you fear forgetting who you are?​

+1

3. Kazou

Kazou Senior member

+1 on having a monogram in a non-visible area of the shirt if you are having it done at all.

+2 I have them on my shirt tail. I had sent some of my shirts to be laundered and noticed that one of the white dress shirt wasn't mine. I pointed out that all my shirts had my monogram. They did a search and found it with someone else's laundry. Needless happy to get my shirt back.

4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Got a pic?
    - the only one I have on file is of my GF's nick name.. She is gone now.. & so are all my Jantzen shirts.. LOL
    [​IMG]

5. AscotMcPocketsquare

AscotMcPocketsquare Senior member

I like them and have been complimented on it multiple times by people who have noticed. I think the hidden monogram is tacky as it is such a pretentious affectation.

6. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Tacky and pretentious. Much akin to people that insist on being called doctor when they aren't even performing in any capacity. Seems a bit egocentric to me.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I had them in my Jantzen shirts--it was no extra cost, and putting it as below kept them from adding a label--but don't with my new shirtmaker. They charge, and I really don't care.

- the only one I have on file is of my GF's nick name.. She is gone now.. & so are all my Jantzen shirts.. LOL
    [​IMG]

Man, you cycle through clothes crazy fast. Didn't you have at least a dozen? What happened?

8. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

FAIL - I agree with PSG or anywhere that is not visible - FWIW I get my initials below the collar band so it is only visible when I take my shirt of.
    +1. I get mine either inside the collar band or below where the label would ordinarily go.
    I had them in my Jantzen shirts--it was no extra cost, and putting it as below kept them from adding a label--but don't with my new shirtmaker.
    I have on shirtmaker (MyTailor.com) that puts it where the label would go (per Phatty's pic above) and another (Q Custom Shirtmakers in Dallas) that puts it inside the collarband. Neither charges me extra for it.

9. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Not sure I understand monograms. Do you fear forgetting who you are?​

[​IMG]

10. LaoHu

LaoHu Senior member

One could do much, much worse than to heed Wodehouse's Jeeves as he expresses his disapprobation to his master, Wooster:

Wooster: "I think it (the monogram) looks dashed smart!"

Jeeves: "Do you, sir? It was my understanding that they were only for those people who were in danger of forgetting their names, sir."

11. epa

epa Senior member

Not tacky. Almost mandatory, I wouls say. (Especially as my shirtmaker puts them on for free.)
    I put them different places on different shirts. Chest, cuff, tail... Depending what I feel like when I order the shirt. And in what contexts I intend to use it. True, on certain shirts that I may use in court or in certain work situations I make sure the monogrom is not visible.
    (In any case, the day I will start bothering about looking tacky I will start by buttoning all the buttons on the sleeve of the jacket. First then I will start worrying about the monogramos on the shirt).

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I do not understand that trend...I find it a bit nouveau riche and tacky but it is a personal opinion even if the point raised by one of the sfrer was quite valid regarding shirts given to a laundry..

13. DHV

DHV Member

Tacky, I only put monograms on places where it can't be seen when wearing the shirt, or just leave them out altogether.

I had my very first custommade shirt monogrammed at the cuff and felt it was tacky the day I first wore it..

14. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

[​IMG]

LOL ... i assume you wont be doing that again.

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I do not understand that trend...I find it a bit nouveau riche and tacky but it is a personal opinion even if the point raised by one of the sfrer was quite valid regarding shirts given to a laundry..

I cannot imagine a laundry in this day and age that would refer to a monogram stitched on a shirt in order to keep track of it. Every laundry I have ever visited has used its own codes, stamps, tags or whatever.

On the cuff is for small-timers. The real ballers like voxxxxxx get two monograms, one on each side of the collar.