• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the consensus on shirt cuff monograms? Tacky or not?

Mathew J

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it, just seems like one is trying to hard.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mathew J
I wouldn't do it, just seems like one is trying to hard.

It's weird though. I find a mongramme okay but I find functioning cuffs unbuttoned try hard. Of course functioning buttons are standard issue on my suits but I don't undo them.

up1bin

Reaction score
Why do you folks get monogramming on parts of shirts that cannot be seen?

I think if you're gonna get monogramming, get it where it can be seen somewhat (flashes of cuff) or just don't get it at all. What's the point?

up1bin

Reaction score
I don't care for monogramming, so I don't want it to be seen.

But I'm just curious to know why one would get monogramming at all if it cannot be seen?

Is it so that you can find it if it gets lost?

jessis

Reaction score
Inside the yoke is nice touch I think - why?.....why not?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
meh. the next step would be designing your own huge-ass, faux-ristocrat logo and having it monogrammed on the left chest or upper sleeves.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
meh. the next step would be designing your own huge-ass, faux-ristocrat logo and having it monogrammed on the left chest or upper sleeves.

Ha! That one brought a chuckle...

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy

awesome

wgiceman

Reaction score
Why should anyone really care one way or the other? If a person likes the monogram on the cuff, they should get it. If not, then don't. It seems many are obsessing over things that really don't matter. (My humble, but accurate opinion.)

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tacky. Anyplace visible when you're wearing the shirt is tacky.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by up1bin
I don't care for monogramming, so I don't want it to be seen.

But I'm just curious to know why one would get monogramming at all if it cannot be seen?

Is it so that you can find it if it gets lost?

So they have a justification in their minds to look down on others who don't do it the same way they do obviously. Which is why this pretentiousness is even tackier.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
So they have a justification in their minds to look down on others who don't do it the same way they do obviously. Which is why this pretentiousness is even tackier.
+1. It's like wearing a clapboard that says: "Hey ASSHOLE. Yeah, this shirt is CUSTOM. What, you got yours at JC Penny? Ha! I wipe ****** shirts that cost more than yours. I bet your suit isn't bespoke, either! Ha. Plebeian!" Tacky. Like having a brand name emblazoned all over your outfit.
000172_sm.jpg
"Yeah, the guy wearing the $4,000 suit is holding the elevator for the guy who doesn't make that in four months. Come on!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads