• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the consensus on shirt cuff monograms? Tacky or not?

danielvh

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to be ordering some MTM shirts (probably from nialma) and am thinking about whether or not to get cuff monograms of my initials. I keep jumping between thinking that they're stylish and cool and thinking that they're tacky and a bit "look at me and my expensive shirts".

What're your thoughts?

Thanks,

Daniel

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shirt cuff monograms are just way too obvious. They remind me of 1980's car salesmen that are trying too hard to look like Donald Trump.

Skip the cuff and go for the lower left chest

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIL

- I agree with PSG or anywhere that is not visible
- FWIW I get my initials below the collar band so it is only visible when I take my shirt of.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't mind it at all, and I have some shirts monogrammed on the cuff, same color as the shirt though. This question has popped up regularly for years here in SF and I never thought about it being "cool"... of course if you have a monogram in contrasting colors and you wear it where it would be visible to everyone....
frown.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, I've found a few people who pull this off nicely, and I wouldn't call it tacky. I think it is because they're well accomplished in other aspects of their life, that this is really no big deal. Essentially, they're in a position to do whatever the hell they want, IMO.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
FAIL

- FWIW I get my initials below the collar band so it is only visible when I take my shirt of.

When you first posted pics of your Jantzen order a long time ago, I noticed your monogram on the interior yoke, which was fantastic. Ever since then, all my shirts have monograms on the inside. I used to have it stitched on the shirt tail.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
+1 on having a monogram in a non-visible area of the shirt if you are having it done at all.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
i would avoid them at my age.

... and until I pass the age of 60.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Not sure I understand monograms. Do you fear forgetting who you are?​

SlamMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
FAIL

Got a pic?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mine on the chest area and think it looks fine and don't care if anyone else thinks it looks tacky.

Artigas

Reaction score
S'pose they're helpful if you're afraid someone will steal your shirt.
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads