• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Propercloth MTM shirt fit check/advice

eguk

Reaction score
Hi,

First-time poster here so apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

I'm using the Propercloth MTM shirt service for the first time and was curious what you guys think about the outcome.

Note - I've used all my lives on this shirt (had it remade twice after the initial order, partly because the first fit advice I received from PC really overshot).

I've worn and laundered the shirt a few times at this point and I'm reasonably happy with how it looks, although I can't help thinking it could fit better.

I opted for back darts because I wanted a pretty slim fit (I personally don't like it when fabric billows above the trouser waistband) but I'm not thrilled with the way the fabric falls at the back here - the horizontal lines suggest that maybe the drop/taper from chest to waist is too great and the shirt is riding up at the back? although it's 'only' a 2.7" drop (5.4" around). Do you think I've gone too narrow in the waist?

Or do you think it would be better to remove the darts altogether
and let the shirt drape more freely at the back? I know removing the darts whilst keeping the same waist width will effectively move fabric from the front of the shirt to the back - so I'm not sure if this will make matters worse or not..

The only thing I would note is that this is a relatively stiff/thick chambray fabric - perhaps a thinner/dressier fabric would drape better with this fit..

Appreciate any feedback you folks have, although I'd appreciate if you can keep it constructive.

Cheers

IMG_9166.jpeg

IMG_9168.jpeg

IMG_9169.jpeg

IMG_9170.jpeg

Anon007

Reaction score
Would’ve helped to asses if you had ironed first, nonetheless I think the fit is pretty good. Personally, think if anything you could take it in more at the hips. Shoulders could perhaps be a touch wider but if they aren’t restricting your movement, then NBD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads