• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear at interviews post covid?

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
I have a few takes on this matter, I was wondering what other peoples opinions on this is. I live outside of London so take into consideration, you know. Black oxfords and all that melarchy lol ...
Anyways is it possible to get away from the two-piece suit outfits in interviews? For instance an industry I work in, while it dresses in a conservative manner with the very executives in a long hierarchy structure. Most middle managers and subordinates do not even bother to dress up.
So could you get away with a blazer, smartly pressed chinos and polished brown shoes? Is that a crazy idea? I'd still turn up to interviews in a two piece suit just to stand out. But I feel like you'd stand out even more if you can present yourself in a casual but very professional manner lol.

What's peoples takes on this?

I'm a young adult, so I do feel the urge to splash a bit of youthfulness into my outfits. I don't want to look like a stone-cold prick with a hunger for leadership, making the interviewers think "oh well he's a threat to us", or "he thinks he's better then everyone!".

LVEsq

Reaction score
I have a few takes on this matter, I was wondering what other peoples opinions on this is. I live outside of London so take into consideration, you know. Black oxfords and all that melarchy lol ...
Anyways is it possible to get away from the two-piece suit outfits in interviews? For instance an industry I work in, while it dresses in a conservative manner with the very executives in a long hierarchy structure. Most middle managers and subordinates do not even bother to dress up.
So could you get away with a blazer, smartly pressed chinos and polished brown shoes? Is that a crazy idea? I'd still turn up to interviews in a two piece suit just to stand out. But I feel like you'd stand out even more if you can present yourself in a casual but very professional manner lol.

What's peoples takes on this?

I'm a young adult, so I do feel the urge to splash a bit of youthfulness into my outfits. I don't want to look like a stone-cold prick with a hunger for leadership, making the interviewers think "oh well he's a threat to us", or "he thinks he's better then everyone!".
When I started out in my profession (legal) - I was advised to dress for the eventual job I wanted, not one I was interviewing for. So I was always of the mindset that putting on your absolute best face for the interview (your best suit, your best tie, freshly pressed shirt, etc. and making sure the tie is perfectly tied) shows the person you are interviewing with that you care about yourself, your image and you are meticulous about details, including personal grooming details. I still interview people and in my mind, even if the job is an entry level position, if the person interviewing comes in wearing a nice suit and tie, it always scores high points with me. It means to me that even though it is an entry level position, this person obviously cares about it, wants to get it and wants to stand out - which will likely make him a higher performer in that position.

So my advise is, wear your best, hold yourself proudly, but humbly, take care of every detail and don't be afraid of dressing "over your station"

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Agree - there's no downside to wearing a suit and tie. Going more casual or "splashing youthfulness" has its risks, depending on who's interviewing you.
Fair enough. They always say wear light blue or white shirts to an interview. Everything I had was perfect, but I did turn up in a yellow checked (pastel colored and discreet pattern) double-cuffed shirt. I really liked it, it made me feel really good. So I think in that case it worked out well. I work in finance. None of the people try to dress up. Not even the interviewers, but they got the jobs so there you go. If it was law I'd definitely get a white shirt.

Last edited:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything I had was perfect, but I did turn up in a yellow checked (pastel colored and discreet pattern) double-cuffed shirt. I really liked it, it made me feel really good. So I think in that case it worked out well. I work in finance. None of the people try to dress up. Not even the interviewers, but they got the jobs so there you go.
I work in finance, in the City. I can say that if I were interviewing you and you turned up in a yellow shirt, I wouldn't really take it as a positive, all other things being equal.

The appalling general state of dress in offices is a fact, however.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
I work in finance, in the City. I can say that if I were interviewing you and you turned up in a yellow shirt, I wouldn't really take it as a positive, all other things being equal.

The appalling general state of dress in offices is a fact, however.
I was thinking more on the lines of Patrick Batemans quote:

- There are definite dos and don'ts, good buddy, of wearing a bold-striped shirt. A bold-striped shirt calls for solid-colored or discretely patterned suits and ties.

- Yes, always tip the stylist 15 percent.

- Listen, John, I've got to go. T. Boone Pickens just walked in. Just joking.

- No, don't tip the owner of the salon.

- Okay, John. Right. Got it.

- Sorry about that.

So how do I tip the 15% now? lol

TomTom

Reaction score
When I started out in my profession (legal) - I was advised to dress for the eventual job I wanted, not one I was interviewing for. So I was always of the mindset that putting on your absolute best face for the interview (your best suit, your best tie, freshly pressed shirt, etc. and making sure the tie is perfectly tied) shows the person you are interviewing with that you care about yourself, your image and you are meticulous about details, including personal grooming details. I still interview people and in my mind, even if the job is an entry level position, if the person interviewing comes in wearing a nice suit and tie, it always scores high points with me. It means to me that even though it is an entry level position, this person obviously cares about it, wants to get it and wants to stand out - which will likely make him a higher performer in that position.

So my advise is, wear your best, hold yourself proudly, but humbly, take care of every detail and don't be afraid of dressing "over your station"
Completely agree. I work in Law too and and when I interview people what is important (besides the CV, requirements ,experience ) to me is that the candidate comes to the interview well presented. For men that means a suit, shirt tie.I does not have to be an expensive suit, the best 7 fold tie and and T&A shirt ,but to me it shows that they have a certain respect for the job that they are applying to. Strange enough, female candidates do not have this problem at all and always come looking their absolute best and work appropriate. Funny that.

TomTom

Reaction score
Fair enough. They always say wear light blue or white shirts to an interview. Everything I had was perfect, but I did turn up in a yellow checked (pastel colored and discreet pattern) double-cuffed shirt. I really liked it, it made me feel really good. So I think in that case it worked out well. I work in finance. None of the people try to dress up. Not even the interviewers, but they got the jobs so there you go. If it was law I'd definitely get a white shirt.
A light blue one also works and is basically the standard in Law. I wear very loud stripy shirts with white collars all the time but I that is my style and I have become known for that .Never got anything but very positive compliments, but to better start off safe with white, light blue and even ....gasp...salmon pink.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
when I interview people what is important (besides the CV, requirements ,experience ) to me is that the candidate comes to the interview well presented. For men that means a suit, shirt tie.I does not have to be an expensive suit, the best 7 fold tie and and T&A shirt ,but to me it shows that they have a certain respect for the job that they are applying to.

It is always fun seeing different sub-cultures and social circles. I work in tech in the bay area and I'm happy to interview people wearing tees and shorts. Actually, the only two people I interviewed wearing suits did not work out (technically poor in the interview, but also yet completely irrelevantly, truly terrible suits + absolute lack of knowledge on how to wear one.)

Strange enough, female candidates do not have this problem at all and always come looking their absolute best and work appropriate. Funny that.

Yeah, I always wonder if women aren't just smarter than men. Somehow they never need to be told what to wear, they just always seem to pick out the right thing for the occasion and look good in it. ;)

Atoyotagaspedal

Reaction score
I interviewed for my current job the end of last year. Its not a job that would ever require me to wear a suit and people think I am over dressed when I wear the odd sport coat to work. All my interviews were over zoom and I always wore a suit and tie. I would rather be the overdressed one than the underdressed one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads