• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What restaurant groups or chains represent quality to you?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Alexanders is one of the few mid-price chains I will go to.

I will argue Mortons > Ruth's all day long.... but David Burke's is my spot for steak (can't remember the name of their group).

If we are talking LEYE, can we call the Myriad group a chain? 'Cuz Myriad kicks ASS over LEYE, and I like LEYE.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to foodservice, "chain" and "quality" are mutually exclusive terms. Chain restaurants exist as chain restaurants so that ownership can cut corners.

Not all independent restaurants offer quality or value, but I've never had a meal in a chain restaurant that struck me as high-quality. Medium-quality maybe, high-quality no.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Houstons is my favorite chain restaurant. Have eaten at a Houstons in 4 states and they are incredibly consistent in food and service. They add a local flavor in different locations like adding a sushi bar in Santa Monica. Highly recommend. Do not know if they are part of a group or an independent chain.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
J. Alexanders is one of the few mid-price chains I will go to.

I too think that J. Alexander's is pretty good for a chain. In my experience, they're also very quick to comp food if there is even the slightest problem.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
When it comes to foodservice, "chain" and "quality" are mutually exclusive terms. Chain restaurants exist as chain restaurants so that ownership can cut corners.

Not all independent restaurants offer quality or value, but I've never had a meal in a chain restaurant that struck me as high-quality. Medium-quality maybe, high-quality no.

I will argue that. Tiggy mentioned Flemming's and I mentioned Sullivan's. They are both chains, and while I prefer Sully's over Flemmings, I think they both deliver a quality cut of aged meat, fired properly, for a very reasonable price (minus drinks, easly under $70 per person). They both have a good, if not overly expansive wine list, and most locations usually have a decent lounge.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Wichcraft is my favourite fast food chain. Vong's high quality is consistent across all restaurants.

Yes that's Tom Colicchio's from Top Chef.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
J. Alexanders is one of the few mid-price chains I will go to. I will argue Mortons > Ruth's all day long.... but David Burke's is my spot for steak (can't remember the name of their group). If we are talking LEYE, can we call the Myriad group a chain? 'Cuz Myriad kicks ASS over LEYE, and I like LEYE.
Primehouse has the best steak in Chicago for sure. As you know I'm not a big steak house fan but that place is somewhat interesting. Morton's you have to pay me to go. Don't know about Myriad kicking Leye's ass unless you really like Nobu.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK.. kicking ass is an overstatement... L20 and TRU are pretty luminary.

Centrico and Tribeca Grill are all better than the run-of-the-mill LEYE stuff like Brasserie Jo, Ba-ba-Reeba, Mon Ami, etc.

I did not realize Myriad has shrunk a little lately.. no more Layla, Rubicon

I stand corrected.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Houstons and J. Alexanders are really good and quite similar in style.

I like Five Guys as well.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Believe it or not, I have never been to the Prime Rib in Baltimore, even though it's consistently considered one of the best restaurants in Baltimore, and even though my best buddy lives above it in the same building. I've been immediately above the restaurant easily a few hundred times but have never gone in.

I have only been to the Prime Rib in DC. It was good, but I don't remember it well enough (and I was drinking way too much) to have any real comment.

Originally Posted by Teger
Legal Sea Food is meh

I've been to a Fleming's (recently actually) and it was very good, albeit expensive

Douglas do you like the Prime Rib?

Prime Rib in Baltimore is
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
But rather pricey. I think the meal came out to around 100-120 per person.

I agree with these:
Ruth's Chris
Bahama Breeze
Capital Grille

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I will argue that. Tiggy mentioned Flemming's and I mentioned Sullivan's. They are both chains, and while I prefer Sully's over Flemmings, I think they both deliver a quality cut of aged meat, fired properly, for a very reasonable price (minus drinks, easly under $70 per person). They both have a good, if not overly expansive wine list, and most locations usually have a decent lounge.
I will give them a try some day. Cuts of meat, baked potatoes, and wine should not be hard to screw up. Maybe the chain steakhouse has a chance. It's been some time since I went to a chain steakhouse. I don't eat out much because I rarely enjoy the expense. And I like to enjoy spending my money when I spend it. When I do eat out it's mainly at a small group of independent places. Independent restaurants are often run with much better oversight. I'd rather have the owner managing the kitchen than a kitchen manager who resents his low salary & the cocaine habit that consumes it. Likewise if it's an independent the menu is usually better tailored to the place and its people.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am not sure if I equate consistency with dining quality, as I don't frequent mid-priced chains; I would rather eat 29 days worth of cheap ethnic meals, cook my comfort food at home, and splurge on one or two really nice meals per month, which in turn doesn't really allow me much breadth for judging any kind of consistency... but I am about to start my way into the Pierre Gagnaire chain by eating at the one locally here soon, and needless to say, I am hoping for something pretty decent...

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Austin Grill, Qdoba, and Five Guys.

I've never been unhappy with food, service, etc with any of these restaurants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads