• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Finished up the Bronson movie last night, he's definitely the focal point. Kept thinking towards the end, if you're gonna strip nekkid and wear gloves to kill, probably ought to at least wear socks.

I watched Serial Mom (1994) today. I fucking love this movie, been a few years since I've seen it last.

View attachment 1363609
This would be a fun follow-up:

parents.jpg

I haven't seen it in a long time, but I watched it numerous times in the late '80s, subjecting unsuspecting friends to it to see how they'd react. It's a brutally dark comedy / satire.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will track it down! Thx. Trying to build up a decent library for the next possibly six months away, so suggestions are appreciated!

double00

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
watched Super, rain wilson and the adorable ellen paige. a pretty strange riff on the superhero genre. ended up really liking it.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ms .45 (1981): Loved it. Beginning scenes are a bit difficult to get through. Awesome female vengeance film; I also love seeing movies in early 80s NYC. 9/10

1585789578540.png

Magnolia (1999): I finally made it through this movie last night, after about half-a-dozen times in which I've fallen asleep around the halfway point. I thought it was a pretty stupid movie; albeit with some very memorable scenes. I either love or hate Paul Thomas Anderson's movies. 3/10

Cruising (1980): I mostly enjoyed this. But like, was Pacino's character secretly gay? But then he returned to his GF at the end, so he wasn't? Wasn't sure what the point was for the beginning scene, or why the officer popped up again at the end, or why the perp. committed the crimes. Plot full of holes (no pun). 5/10

Chinatown (1974): 10/10 duh. Masterpiece.

I am le bored.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
watched Super, rain wilson and the adorable ellen paige. a pretty strange riff on the superhero genre. ended up really liking it.
Good film. Pair this with Special with Michael Rapaport, another strange riff on the genre.

Ms .45 (1981): Loved it. Beginning scenes are a bit difficult to get through. Awesome female vengeance film; I also love seeing movies in early 80s NYC. 9/10
I think this is the only Ferrara that I haven’t seen. Grindhouse fanatics obsess over this one.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is the only Ferrara that I haven’t seen. Grindhouse fanatics obsess over this one.
This is the only Ferrara movie I've seen so far. I loved it--looking forward to exploring his filmography.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Watch Bad Lieutenant next, then. It’s amazing.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
And Jesus Fuck he’s made like a dozen movies in the last 20 years that I’ve never heard of.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I found Bad Lieutenant and China Girl. Going to save these for later. 😁

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2BC46714-8B72-4471-B45B-2B5338E65A46.jpeg

#88 TRICKS OF THE TRADE (1988)

When a man is in despair, it means he still believes in something. So says Dmitri Shostakovich, who may as well have been talking about 1988’s Tricks of the Trade. Here, director Jack Bender has seized on the concept, and with fumbling hands, dropped it into a strange funhouse mirror where everything is as it seems.

AB1D587C-1BC6-47EF-8610-25CEA316B44F.jpeg

The film opens on Donald Todson (Jack Tripper), a blank but amiable yuppie whose boredom with wealth and sunshine leads him to seek out the darker corners of a hooker’s bedroom. It is in these dim lights that Jack, the comfortable face of patriarchy, can relax. And so can we, the audience, for we know what awaits us: a simple comedy, full of zany hijinks, uneven laughs, and — one suspects — a surfeit of tits. Then Jack dies in a hail of bullets, and the rug is pulled.

DC141029-7642-4A4A-8024-E093D8A61A81.jpeg

What follows is a true epistemological nightmare, distinctly American.

15965B19-8273-4EA4-9EEB-27498F1B7A1B.jpeg

Echoing Hitchcock’s Psycho, Jack is supplanted by a new protagonist, his virginal wife Cindy (Cindy Williams of Laverne & Shirley fame). When Cindy confronts the whore that cuckqueaned her (Night Court’s Markie Post), two familiar archetypes collide — but it’s not revenge that Madonna wants from the whore. It’s “answers”. And this is where a Sartrean malaise sets in.

30B239BF-CA22-4DB4-B227-8EC2F43D3EEB.jpeg

Answers. The whore would prefer a punch to the mouth, but she will suffer the gentle pugilisms of Cindy’s questions instead. These quickly dilate from the mundane (“What did Jack like in bed?”) to the existential (“What is my place in the world?”), forming a kind of black hole that sucks both women in, obscuring everything — even the fact that they’re now being hunted by drug dealers.

79EDAC0C-4263-4400-911E-5179859E2F8B.jpeg

More fascinating than the action that follows are the bizarre postmodern overlays to a basically feminist script. In casting Markie Post, TV’s sexy mainstay, in her first feature role, the director sets up a burning parallel mystery of his own: Will Markie Post show the goods? He teases the possibility in every possible variation. Breasts are glimpsed — whole breasts — but never at once — only in parts. Multiple outfits offer glimpses in piecemeal: some cleavage here, the top there, the sides, the undersides. As the women pile up clues, so does the audience, all eyes toward that larger piece, collage’s completion. But will the moment arrive? Is that even the right question...

It’s the despair that reels you in, that conceals as it reveals.

8A3BA92F-CE5A-4AFD-88B1-C1E1D77F8D62.jpeg

Early Me: [Not allowed to watch]

Current Me: 5

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Do check this out....

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This looks amazing--and, as I figured, seemingly difficult to track down!
It’s not amazing, unfortunately. More of an 80s relic. It is on Amazon Prime, though.

I’m thinking Skin Deep would be a suitable alternative. Surely this streaming somewhere...

Have you seen it? It was funny as a kid. Hopefully, it holds up OK.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Art of Noise :slayer:

On a scale from 1 to 5, that movie looks like it's no 10.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.