• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best way to acquire some decent suits with not a lot of money?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by illeagle
thrift shop I've found some nice Zileri, Zegna, Armani, Boss, plenty of Polo and Brooks Brothers, etc suits at thrift shops usually in terrific condition... you'll have a hard time coming by anything better than that for cheap on eBay anyway... I'd say your best bet is used Brooks Brothers... you should be able to get 3-5 for under 100 (before any tailoring) if you're fortunate enough edit: oh and a pretty good source for finding what thrift shops are in your area (because you may need to go to more than one to find great suits in your size) is thethriftshopper.com ... people may not say what's sold at a particular store, but you can get a general idea
Just a note on thrift store shopping. I've found that you typically find two types of clothing at the thrift store: 1. The low end stuff that people have worn many many times, and the clothing is just tired and old, and obviously not worth buying unless it can somehow have new life breathed into it (if it's of fine quality and worth it) or you're just looking for something to wear while gardening or painting the house - about 95% of what you see at the thrift store. 2. The high end stuff that people wore a couple times, or not at all, and for whatever reason (closet cleaning, not their style, they're rich and just have too many nice clothes to wear, etc.) they've now given it away to the charity thrift shop for a tax deduction - about 5%. The really nice quality stuff that is lightly worn, if at all, is obviously much harder to find. But, if you come across a barely worn Brioni suit (which I have - for $20), you have to figure that the owner is wealthy enough to have several if not many similar suits. And it's probable that the suit you find has been worn only a handful of times. Someone who can afford to buy one Brioni suit at retail, is likely able to afford to buy many very nice high quality suits. That's the stuff you should be looking for, obviously. Look long and hard enough, and you will find it. Before I joined this forum about 6 months ago, the only time I had entered a thrift store was to look for a hallowe'en costume. Now, most of my dress wardrobe is populated with very high quality and hardly worn clothes, all found in a little over 6 months (e.g., sportjackets from Huntsman, St. Andrews, Kiton, Brioni, Chester Barrie, Cantarelli, suits from Corneliani, Barbera, Isaia, Varvatos, Chester Barrie, pants from Oxxford, J Press, RLPL, BBGF, shirts from Borrelli, Paul Stuart, Lewin, Canali, ties from Brioni, Kiton, Barbera, Dormeuil, Canali, Sulka, Borrelli, Isaia, and shoes from Varvatos, Gravati, Allen edmonds, Church's, Fratelli Rossetti, AS, and even a bunch of nice pocket squares - all sourced from thrift store shopping, and in excellent condition. I must admit that in the beginning I bought stuff that has since been redonated to the thrift store as I didn't realize that I would find much better quality items in better condition down the road. Now, I pass over a lot of stuff that I would have bought earlier on because I know that I will find something even better in time. Back to your original point about some people here who can afford the higher end stuff at retail ... good for them, I can't. So thrifting is the only way at this point that I can afford very good high quality clothing. And most importantly it's so ******* ridiculously cheap. I got that bespoke Huntsman sportjacket for $4. FOUR DOLLARS! It's ******* insane really. Good thing I have the day off today ... think I'm going to head to the Goodwill.

stylemeup

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/CASHMERE-WOOL-SU...1%7C240%3A1318

This fabric looks awesome to me. Is that a good fabric for suits?

Is the 4.40 metres listed in that enough cloth to make a suit, or would I need more than 1 of those to make a suit?

I notice some of the other listings sell it in different amounts, like 3.0 or 3.70 metres. Why does that vary?

What length is required to make a suit?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toronto? Try little Italy. Might be something in your price point with luck.

If you're a Yorkie then try Finch. Memory tells me somebody near Finch and Dufferin. Of course it's been a few years
laugh.gif

There used to be some used clothing shops on Queen street if you're a UofT student. OTOH it's mostly vintage and it takes a certain style sense to look right.

OTOH if you're a uni student get a good coat. Spend some money on nicer pants and sweaters. You'll get more use out of a good coat then one suit. Hell with TOs weather a closet of suits will give you less bang for the buck then one good overcoat.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second hand shops - but you will need to look through many and reject a lot of junk along the way.

modmica

Reaction score
Do whatever you need to do to become the size that forum user aportnoy used to be. You may need to bulk up, or slim down, shorten yourself, or lengthen yourself. But once you have modified your dimensions appropriately, you will have access to some very high quality used suits at killer prices.
teacha.gif

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
http://cgi.ebay.com/CASHMERE-WOOL-SU...1%7C240%3A1318

This fabric looks awesome to me. Is that a good fabric for suits?

Is the 4.40 metres listed in that enough cloth to make a suit, or would I need more than 1 of those to make a suit?

I notice some of the other listings sell it in different amounts, like 3.0 or 3.70 metres. Why does that vary?

What length is required to make a suit?

Form personal experience, I can say that many of his fabrics are quite good. You should ask the tailor about how much fabric is needed - and describe the fabric you are considering as best you can.

Tailors in China can pull a suit out of short lengths like 3 meters for even tall men, but I've heard US tailors are not so intent on conserving. 3.7 should be enough, unless you want a second pair of trousers, which is always a good idea.

I think the H&M or Zara suit might really be better than any of the various traditional brands. People who don't where suits will find it more stylish and, if you don't wear and dry clean it too much, it can still last two or three years.

stylemeup

Reaction score
What is a decent price to pay on eBAY for, Ie:

A used Hickey Freeman suit.
A used Hickey Freeman Blazer.
A used Oxxford Suit.
A used Oxxford Blazer.
A used Brooks Brothers Suit.
A used Brooks Brothers Blazer.

Would also appreciate if someone could give me a hierachy of suit quality by brand.

So far my impression is something like this. Please correct it if it's wrong and fill in the blanks.

Isaia/Canali/Borelli/Corneliani>RL Black>RL Purple>Oxxford>Hickey Freeman>Brooks Brothers>Samuelsohn>Boss/crappy RL labels/ etc. etc.

I'm sure there's many other brands that are missing out of that. A complete hierarchy including all the brands I missed, and in the correct order, would be amazingly helpful to me knowing what to try to buy.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Form personal experience, I can say that many of his fabrics are quite good. You should ask the tailor about how much fabric is needed - and describe the fabric you are considering as best you can. Tailors in China can pull a suit out of short lengths like 3 meters for even tall men, but I've heard US tailors are not so intent on conserving. 3.7 should be enough, unless you want a second pair of trousers, which is always a good idea. I think the H&M or Zara suit might really be better than any of the various traditional brands. People who don't where suits will find it more stylish and, if you don't wear and dry clean it too much, it can still last two or three years.
Assuming he is no giant, 3.5 is a pretty safe rule of thumb. With 4.4 he may just be able to squeeze a vest in...

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modmica
Do whatever you need to do to become the size that forum user aportnoy used to be. You may need to bulk up, or slim down, shorten yourself, or lengthen yourself. But once you have modified your dimensions appropriately, you will have access to some very high quality used suits at killer prices.
teacha.gif

At the same, if needed, modify your feet to ensure you don't wear aportnoy's shoe size.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
1. eBay and the B&S, if you know what you are looking for and what you should pay
2. Thrift stores, if you have a good eye and time
3. TJMaxx/Marshalls/Burlington/etc, if you know the difference between stuff that's worth what they're asking and stuff that isnt.
4. I've been told the suits they sell at TARGET (yes, Target) are actually very nice for the price.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
What is a decent price to pay on eBAY for, Ie:

A used Hickey Freeman suit.
A used Hickey Freeman Blazer.
A used Oxxford Suit.
A used Oxxford Blazer.
A used Brooks Brothers Suit.
A used Brooks Brothers Blazer.

There is no answer to that question, too many variables with the items. As for the hierarchy of brands, you don't need to worry about whether Brooks Brothers is better than Hickey Freeman. Just know that both are good. Be on the lookout for something that looks good and will fit you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads