• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best way to acquire some decent suits with not a lot of money?

stylemeup

Reaction score
I want to start wearing suits all the time. The problem is, I have very little money with which to buy suits.

So I am asking: what is the best method I can use to acquire some suits of relatively good quality for not a lot of money?

My first idea is to just go scour thrift shops and get my suits exclusively from there. But I've had bad experiences in years past of thrift items carrying weird odors/stains/defects etc. that aren't necessarily immediately apparent, so I'd kinda prefer a better option.

The next best idea I had was to save up money for a really long time then buy a few suits like this from STP:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...e-For-Men.html

Are suits like that any good though? Is that suit worth the retail price? Is it worth the STP price?

I suppose some members would recommened H&M but I've read a lot about them since joining this site and the consensus seems to be they sell crappy quality stuff, which I'd prefer to avoid. I know very little about clothes though so I don't know what's crappy or not unless I have learned it's a good brand name/line. How would that Lauren suit I just link to stack up to a H&M suit, quality-wise?

Is there anything I should look out for to make not buy a suit, no matter how cheap it is?

I'd much prefer to have the Isaia suits on STP but they all seem go for upwards of a grand, which is way out of my price range. Are there any tricks to getting Isaia suits for ~$300 - 400 from any place, or is that something that never, ever happens?

Is there a better option for acquiring some decent suits that I hadn't considered?

cksnipe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy Lauren by Ralph Lauren suits. They are horrible compared to the other RL lines such as Polo (blue label), black label and purple label. Some people like H&M because of the slim, modern cut or shape of the suit, even if the construction is not great. I don't believe Lauren (green label RL) has either quality construction or a good cut.

If you look around on the Buying and Selling forum here, depending on your size, you may find some really good deals on suits. Additionally, some thrift shops/consignment stores can have really nice stuff (you just have to get it dry cleaned first).

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL is much better than H&M in quality though the styling would be less modern. Where are you located?

There's always ebay, too.

stylemeup

Reaction score
I am located in Toronto, Canada.

What is the best brand/line of suits I could buy for a maximum $300 or less per suit? And where would I buy that from?

I'm wary of eBAY because of counterfeiting and things like that. I wouldn't even know if I bought something that is counterfeit.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think that buying secondhand stuff on ebay and actual consignment shops (as opposed to thrift stores with the potential dirt factor) is the best wayto get quality in your price range. Sales orcoming to Asia for a tailor?

Narciso

Reaction score
I've only been around for a couple of months, shorter than you have, and I've seen some very good brands sell for great prices, used and new, on the Buy and Sell Forum here. If you just check up on the board every couple of days for suits in your size you'll find some good quality. There's eBay too of course. Just make sure you've got your measurements down and know what can and can't be changed on the suits you're buying. I'd also check out stores like TJMaxx or Marshalls. I've seen plenty of Hickey Freeman, Hart, Schaffer & Marx, and Polo RL suits there for good prices. Sometimes they're a button short or there's some stitching problem, but those things can always be fixed. Of course, you'll probably never find exactly what you want this way. That will cost you.

lizmasc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
I am located in Toronto, Canada.

What is the best brand/line of suits I could buy for a maximum $300 or less per suit? And where would I buy that from?

I'm wary of eBAY because of counterfeiting and things like that. I wouldn't even know if I bought something that is counterfeit.
smiley2.gif

Just check for some common sense like feedback, user reviews etc
bigstar[1].gif

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy some good, cheap Oxxfrod, Freeman etc on eBay and have it fitted by a local tailor.

ThaHero

Reaction score
I haven't been here or even just read here long, but one thing that sorta irks me is how many posters says something is "crap" or "horrible" i.e. H&M suits when they can afford suits that are upwards of a few grand. It's like someone that drives a Maybach saying a Kia is crap. Of course it is, and especially when compared to a luxury vehicle that costs 10x the price.

Right now, I pretty much buy what I can afford. If I can find a $1k suit for $100 in a size I can alter and adjust to fit me, that's great. If all I'm stuck with is "crappy" H&M suits, then that's what I get. Often if it's tailored right you'll look better than most people that spent a small fortune on an ill-fitting suit, and the average joe won't notice how (in)exquisitely made it is.

When my salary allows me to buy higher quality and I am able to purchase an Audi R8, I'll grab one. Until then, I'm perfectly happy rolling around in my bucket that gets me from A to B, because it's what I can afford.

I don't see how anyone can look down on me for wanting to look good in my price range. Screw what SF thinks, get what fits your budget. With the economy the way it is, soon we'll all be living in caves anyway.

To answer your question, yeah, I do think the offerings from H&M are decent. You may also want to try www.indochino.com though I've heard mixed reviews(albiet good things about their customer service).

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThaHero
I haven't been here or even just read here long, but one thing that sorta irks me is how many posters says something is "crap" or "horrible" i.e. H&M suits when they can afford suits that are upwards of a few grand. It's like someone that drives a Maybach saying a Kia is crap. Of course it is, and especially when compared to a luxury vehicle that costs 10x the price.

Right now, I pretty much buy what I can afford. If I can find a $1k suit for $100 in a size I can alter and adjust to fit me, that's great. If all I'm stuck with is "crappy" H&M suits, then that's what I get. Often if it's tailored right you'll look better than most people that spent a small fortune on an ill-fitting suit, and the average joe won't notice how (in)exquisitely made it is.

When my salary allows me to buy higher quality and I am able to purchase an Audi R8, I'll grab one. Until then, I'm perfectly happy rolling around in my bucket that gets me from A to B, because it's what I can afford.

I don't see how anyone can look down on me for wanting to look good in my price range. Screw what SF thinks, get what fits your budget. With the economy the way it is, soon we'll all be living in caves anyway.

To answer your question, yeah, I do think the offerings from H&M are decent. You may also want to try www.indochino.com though I've heard mixed reviews(albiet good things about their customer service).

Very PC post, don't you think?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why do you want to start wearing suits all the time?

For what kind of situations/events/etc.?

How old are you and where do you live, and what is your social group/audience like?

These answers are important because you might be a young guy just wanting to look sharp sometimes and in a social group where a well fitting thrift suit would win the day, or you could be bucking for promotions, or just bored with dressing like everyone else. It's impossible to say where you should look without knowing what you should be looking for.

stylemeup

Reaction score
At the moment I'm 29 year old university student.

Don't really have a social group/audience. I don't really talk to people much, and they don't talk to me much either because I'm shy. My suits wouldn't be to impress employers or anything like that. I want to wear suits all the time so I look as pimping as possible. It will make me feel good to know that at least I'm better dressed than most of the other people who are around me.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThaHero
If I can find a $1k suit for $100 in a size I can alter and adjust to fit me, that's great. If all I'm stuck with is "crappy" H&M suits, then that's what I get. Often if it's tailored right you'll look better than most people that spent a small fortune on an ill-fitting suit, and the average joe won't notice how (in)exquisitely made it is.
I don't think any of the regulars here would argue with you on this point. An inexpensive suit that fits well is markedly better than an expensive one that doesn't. However, many men here will also comment on the quality of a suit's construction because it speaks to the suit's longevity, and a suit's longevity correlates to its overall value. Inexpensive suits sometimes look terrible after just a few dry cleanings. Therefore, paying a higher price for quality construction usually makes more economic sense in the long term.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
At the moment I'm 29 year old university student.

Don't really have a social group/audience. I don't really talk to people much, and they don't talk to me much either because I'm shy. My suits wouldn't be to impress employers or anything like that. I want to wear suits all the time so I look as pimping as possible. It will make me feel good to know that at least I'm better dressed than most of the other people who are around me.

ehhh.. uhhmmm....
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads