• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best value shoe maker you know?

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first nice shoes were a pair of J. Crew Ludlow LWB's that are holding up nicely, five years on. On sale they were a lot of shoe for the money. IMG_0432.jpg

WilYa

Reaction score
I know a few but to be honest Mexican manufacturers have to deal with the lack of good uppers.

The one I have seen that has nice uppers is John Doe, he has from Horween, D’Annonay among others but construction wise, I feel they can do better. Their shoes are usually around $160 and are Goodyear welted.

There is another brand that I like for daily or casual use, it’s Miles & Louie. I have a pair of boots and shoes from them and they are quite comfortable but the uppers are not the best you have seen. The last pair I bought from them, were a suede Chelsea boot, Goodyear welt for $100.

Franco Cuadra, I would definitely not recommend.

There’s a guy in León, Guanajuato that makes bespoke, you can get bespoke shoes for $10,000 pesos, that around $500 USD but you have to go to his workshop to get measured and fitted. I have seen some of his shoes, they look nice, he can do the Norvegese style but don’t expect some Yohei Fukuda level. Again, I think the availability of better uppers hold his of having a better product. You can take a look at his Instagram, I think it’s atelier amareto.

For boots, there’s another brand, Unmarked that has some interesting products, they look nice but the prices is near Red Wing. And to be honest, I would take a pair of Red Wings before a full retail Unmarked’s.

Those are the brands I know of.
Additionally, saw pics of a Chinese maker with great potential. MTO handwelted using Annonay calf, 250USD. I will sample them next time in China.
2096915456.jpg -465173569.jpg 305901761.jpg 442109998.jpg -877683022.jpg -1433483153.jpg

asturiano

Reaction score
Quite like Vass.

Estelles are made by Berwick. Estelles is just a shoe shop. They work with tight margins, so the shoe is very difficult to find at discounted prices. Berwick (like al Almansa makers in Spain) offers good value for money but it is difficult to find a Berwick labelled shoe (they do too much private label) it is easier to find Berwick in Korea an Yanko in Poland than in Spain.

Danitch

Reaction score
Additionally, saw pics of a Chinese maker with great potential. MTO handwelted using Annonay calf, 250USD. I will sample them next time in China.
I agree with you.
My friend from the russian forum bought 4 MTO pairs from the chinese artisan.
It looks impressive for the price ($450), handwelted+handlasted.
I would certainly consider it with a similar budget for the shoes.

http://forum.watch.ru/showpost.php?p=4890520&postcount=1259

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are quite a few Chinese ones on instagram, some looks pretty nice but given my collection size hard to imagine trying out another brand now

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ant922599

Reaction score
Obviously depending on your own point of view, this is either a subjective or objective point.

Personally, I rate AS exclusive and J Fitz at 'mid range' (don't particularly like the majority of the C&J lasts aesthetically speaking, but appreciate the handgrade).

Beyond that, there is a considerable difference in feel on the foot and in hand, and shape when you move up to Meccariello, then G&G.

I have no shame in occasionally buying second hand, or samples/seconds, so picking up a £800-£1,500 pair at, say, just above mid tier prices, even if lightly used, tends to be my typical strategy.

I have Carmina and would buy again, but there is such a difference in feel on the foot I wouldn't but them new - only used to fill a particular hole in the rotation.

Maybe that is a issue - one man's mid tier is another's aspirational.

I have no axe to grind and I'm really not a dickish elitist, so whatever one loves and works for is fantastic in my book, and I'll happily share the love of a good shoe with someone at whatever level they are at.

ant922599

Reaction score
Oh ps - from what little i saw at the London Supertrunk, TLB are worth a look too.

And some of the new Japanese makers (through the JSEP programme) will also give significant bang for buck at the mid range; if you can ever et them.

Godot

Reaction score
If someone else has mentioned this then please ignore. Didn't want to wade trough 8 pages of messages. I think Allen Edmond factory 2nds are a great buy. I have several pair & don't notice any difference between them & the ones in the store except the price.

Porkpie

Reaction score
Good day gents! I normally don’t respond a lot on the forum, but more of an observer. Felt the need to chime in on this one. I have a decent shoe collection with shoes from some nice makers, but I think Gravati makes a very good shoe that doesn’t get mentioned much.

Very comfortable shoes and they use good leathers. Sometimes the same as higher end makers. Retailing for $600+ they are a very well made Blake Constructed shoe.

Maybe they are over looked because most retailers private label them in their stores, but when on sale at 30%-50% off it’s a steal in my humble opinion.

Just my two cents!

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously depending on your own point of view, this is either a subjective or objective point.

Personally, I rate AS exclusive and J Fitz at 'mid range' (don't particularly like the majority of the C&J lasts aesthetically speaking, but appreciate the handgrade).

Beyond that, there is a considerable difference in feel on the foot and in hand, and shape when you move up to Meccariello, then G&G.

I have no shame in occasionally buying second hand, or samples/seconds, so picking up a £800-£1,500 pair at, say, just above mid tier prices, even if lightly used, tends to be my typical strategy.

I have Carmina and would buy again, but there is such a difference in feel on the foot I wouldn't but them new - only used to fill a particular hole in the rotation.

Maybe that is a issue - one man's mid tier is another's aspirational.

I have no axe to grind and I'm really not a dickish elitist, so whatever one loves and works for is fantastic in my book, and I'll happily share the love of a good shoe with someone at whatever level they are at.
Ant, I appreciate your open-mindedness. It's hard to come by on StyleForum. Respect.

Also, am I an elitist if I'm proud not to recognize any of the initials or abbreviations in your list of recommendations?

APHK

Reaction score
I have a collection of pairs 12 shoes ranging from Loake at the bottom range to EG and StC at the top.

4 pairs are Loake 1880 : 2 were purchased early in my shoe buying journey and the most recent 2 were much later as I came to realise they are so good value-for-money. They don’t have the looks or comfort of their costly neighbours but they have a place in the rotation for when I need beaters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads