1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

What is the best value shoe maker you know?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hi123, Jul 29, 2018.

1. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

My first nice shoes were a pair of J. Crew Ludlow LWB's that are holding up nicely, five years on. On sale they were a lot of shoe for the money. IMG_0432.jpg

2. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

Additionally, saw pics of a Chinese maker with great potential. MTO handwelted using Annonay calf, 250USD. I will sample them next time in China.
    2096915456.jpg -465173569.jpg 305901761.jpg 442109998.jpg -877683022.jpg -1433483153.jpg

3. asturiano

asturiano Senior Member

Quite like Vass.

Estelles are made by Berwick. Estelles is just a shoe shop. They work with tight margins, so the shoe is very difficult to find at discounted prices. Berwick (like al Almansa makers in Spain) offers good value for money but it is difficult to find a Berwick labelled shoe (they do too much private label) it is easier to find Berwick in Korea an Yanko in Poland than in Spain.

4. Danitch

Danitch Well-Known Member

I agree with you.
    My friend from the russian forum bought 4 MTO pairs from the chinese artisan.
    It looks impressive for the price ($450), handwelted+handlasted.
    I would certainly consider it with a similar budget for the shoes.

http://forum.watch.ru/showpost.php?p=4890520&postcount=1259

5. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

There are quite a few Chinese ones on instagram, some looks pretty nice but given my collection size hard to imagine trying out another brand now

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

7. clhkg

clhkg Member

8. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

9. ant922599

ant922599 Well-Known Member

Obviously depending on your own point of view, this is either a subjective or objective point.

Personally, I rate AS exclusive and J Fitz at 'mid range' (don't particularly like the majority of the C&J lasts aesthetically speaking, but appreciate the handgrade).

Beyond that, there is a considerable difference in feel on the foot and in hand, and shape when you move up to Meccariello, then G&G.

I have no shame in occasionally buying second hand, or samples/seconds, so picking up a £800-£1,500 pair at, say, just above mid tier prices, even if lightly used, tends to be my typical strategy.

I have Carmina and would buy again, but there is such a difference in feel on the foot I wouldn't but them new - only used to fill a particular hole in the rotation.

Maybe that is a issue - one man's mid tier is another's aspirational.

I have no axe to grind and I'm really not a dickish elitist, so whatever one loves and works for is fantastic in my book, and I'll happily share the love of a good shoe with someone at whatever level they are at.

10. ant922599

ant922599 Well-Known Member

Oh ps - from what little i saw at the London Supertrunk, TLB are worth a look too.

And some of the new Japanese makers (through the JSEP programme) will also give significant bang for buck at the mid range; if you can ever et them.

11. Godot

Godot Senior Member

If someone else has mentioned this then please ignore. Didn't want to wade trough 8 pages of messages. I think Allen Edmond factory 2nds are a great buy. I have several pair & don't notice any difference between them & the ones in the store except the price.

12. Solverson

Solverson Well-Known Member

13. Porkpie

Porkpie Well-Known Member

Good day gents! I normally don’t respond a lot on the forum, but more of an observer. Felt the need to chime in on this one. I have a decent shoe collection with shoes from some nice makers, but I think Gravati makes a very good shoe that doesn’t get mentioned much.

Very comfortable shoes and they use good leathers. Sometimes the same as higher end makers. Retailing for $600+ they are a very well made Blake Constructed shoe.

Maybe they are over looked because most retailers private label them in their stores, but when on sale at 30%-50% off it’s a steal in my humble opinion.

Just my two cents!

14. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

Ant, I appreciate your open-mindedness. It's hard to come by on StyleForum. Respect.

Also, am I an elitist if I'm proud not to recognize any of the initials or abbreviations in your list of recommendations?

15. APHK

APHK Member

I have a collection of pairs 12 shoes ranging from Loake at the bottom range to EG and StC at the top.

4 pairs are Loake 1880 : 2 were purchased early in my shoe buying journey and the most recent 2 were much later as I came to realise they are so good value-for-money. They don’t have the looks or comfort of their costly neighbours but they have a place in the rotation for when I need beaters.