• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best value shoe maker you know?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ve heard only good things about RM Williams’ Chelsea boots. Any recommendations on where to get them? I have two pair of AE Liverpool, black and the tiresome walnut. Looking for a brown pair.

Nunger or Boots Online used to sell them for like $300, but I don't know if they still do. RMW is planning on enforcing their global luxury price of $500 or so, as they're trying to move up market.

https://bootsonline.com.au/

http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/

rhymenoserous

Reaction score
Stumbled upon this thread...Interesting read. Sort of looking for other options myself too; not particularly for value, just something alternative. Have a couple pairs of AE already (as you can see by my sig).

I guess Alden had been my go-to as a follow-up just because of the availability (at all). The other brands are non-existent around my way without a 4 hour ride, and I'm not about to blind buy stuff. While I like Alden for their boot makeups, I'm not super into the rest - too redundant with what I already own. I get that the quality is higher, but not looking to replace stuff, just add.

Would love to try Carmina but it's just not available. I'd want to do some serious trial and error there. I guess I'd consider Meermin but I'm not looking for lower quality than what I'm used to. The break-in doesn't phase me at all; anyone who's never broken in a Red Wing Beckman has no idea what break in means.

Going to a Loake store in Ireland was an eye-opener for me. I needed UK 6, but EVERY shoe was too wide. Even the E / Narrow, which was the smallest they went. The cones are HIGH. So I couldn't blind buy English online without trying first.

Like you I was drawn to AE because of the multiple widths and availability, with B&M locations.
+1 for the Beckman shout out. Wood clogs to start but buttery smooth 2 weeks later.

MaxFrid

Reaction score
In your opinion, how is Bexley? they have that 'stanford' model-goodyear wholecut for 130 euros

nachig

Reaction score
The unlined loafers are the exception, very soft out of the box, so much so I just bought another pair. I hope to see more in that direction from Meermin.

Would you be so kind to upload a few pics of your unlined loafers?
It would be great to see real pics of these Meermin shoes...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you be so kind to upload a few pics of your unlined loafers?
It would be great to see real pics of these Meermin shoes...
Many photos already in the Meermin thread. I haven't worn the second pair yet.

The tan ones:

upload_2018-8-6_16-21-56.png

Literally folding under their own weight:

upload_2018-8-6_16-22-23.png

I haven't tried it but I suspect an elastic band would be enough to collapse the mid-section.

In contrast, these GMTO also from Meermin still feel quite hard despite my having literally run in them (on top of 30+ wears):

d_vyx1_zO7NLGO9t9LqVYFDwTGMYijEIqQ3UlnW-IoyUozDLcxhRNKWY8odwX98c0XicMqwh7Apa6yVbwJBqTCf8tczkfVO05cgSq1r-Uo5ht5ZT8Fq2zfB5mlrXR16_LkuFshwFDbGGkpMAlVNZecNpQtTXKLqjT8TygZvhaV3s_fHEmszxhKY8hgfFLYjM5JQSi0XGbuAAXCGocSNcCeQetwHGtX2Gu8gx20xrOPzxZYczqlP8wW_c-aP-1RmC7nmKzjwfDa61gF01jFAvRKyOJwv8sOvwjrKHPKoctazcUqQMhxOVEbAif0BMBzYTYQDhOunosdo-m_X0G-PZqWjUUbzkAW3mgfSkAPdNHQzNE8zdghYOIsJtBWlbvDYY5EVofZ6s4dtciJCCA8doIftWiN5fefZJYXK0SvADvoYdQBiMitTJjH5jrNvZDxQXYr7ahVNTNMZJGKq4I06XOuhB6WKvWwTEw_z74sJrkkX0sWoTyG8JWYhMvxo-n9a1tSpnELWgXNDnb7vfuwkN_aZodF17rt7as49quP7Wmj91v_l6fbyFduiLhiVm0G7nqd4kVKNtdDtxOOueWeXIhrADt0u956GkNt7_42Sy=w896-h644-no
upload_2018-8-6_16-25-10.png

(apologies for no better photos)

I still wear them for the more sculpted shape and because I rarely wear my shoes more than a few hours. It'd be a tougher sell to have these as beaters in a temperate or cold climate.

The value on Meermin is mostly price-related. These are the cheapest loafers that I'm willing to wear, period. One pair of EG Picadilly is about 5-6 pairs of these, so...

My Orban loafers are well made but I find the rubber sole too hard and haven't been wearing them as much as I thought; I generally grab my leather (re)soled RMWs when I need something dark brown and smart casual.

TheForeigner

Reaction score
Interesting thread.

About the break-in process. Can some shoes "forget" that they are broken in? Just put on a pair of double monks this morning that I haven't worn in several months. They never caused me any pain before, not even when brand new, but now they're killing me, both my heels and the knuckle of the toes. Seriously need to take a taxi home from work, no way I can walk back in these shoes today.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some real good value check out Jack Erwin today. They are having a 50% off sale in which you can get full grain leather shoes in Goodyear or Blake construction for under $100. No returns though. Seems they are clearing out inventory.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

About the break-in process. Can some shoes "forget" that they are broken in? Just put on a pair of double monks this morning that I haven't worn in several months. They never caused me any pain before, not even when brand new, but now they're killing me, both my heels and the knuckle of the toes. Seriously need to take a taxi home from work, no way I can walk back in these shoes today.
Have you creamed them recently? Cheaper brands in particular use drier leathers that will need some help. My Meermin monks softened considerably after multiple passages of cleaner/conditioner (coconut oil based) and continue to drink up whatever I serve them. When the leather is dry it is terribly hard.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a company in a developing country such as Mexico or India could provide the same quality for less money.

I know a few but to be honest Mexican manufacturers have to deal with the lack of good uppers.

The one I have seen that has nice uppers is John Doe, he has from Horween, D’Annonay among others but construction wise, I feel they can do better. Their shoes are usually around $160 and are Goodyear welted.

There is another brand that I like for daily or casual use, it’s Miles & Louie. I have a pair of boots and shoes from them and they are quite comfortable but the uppers are not the best you have seen. The last pair I bought from them, were a suede Chelsea boot, Goodyear welt for $100.

Franco Cuadra, I would definitely not recommend.

There’s a guy in León, Guanajuato that makes bespoke, you can get bespoke shoes for $10,000 pesos, that around $500 USD but you have to go to his workshop to get measured and fitted. I have seen some of his shoes, they look nice, he can do the Norvegese style but don’t expect some Yohei Fukuda level. Again, I think the availability of better uppers hold his of having a better product. You can take a look at his Instagram, I think it’s atelier amareto.

For boots, there’s another brand, Unmarked that has some interesting products, they look nice but the prices is near Red Wing. And to be honest, I would take a pair of Red Wings before a full retail Unmarked’s.

Those are the brands I know of.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best value shoes are the one you are truly happy with. I know I can't be happy with the Meermin/Alden or whatever. It's not everything about the value. From the perspective of pure price/value, the Edward Green will certainly not outlive the Meermin eleven times- the amount of times they are more expensive. However, the feeling of joy I experience each time I take on a pair of Greens makes them the best value for me. If this thread is solely based on the value for the buck, than I apologize. In that case probably the Meermin would win. I bought a pair of their Snuff suede double monks just to feel the quality, which I remember was the exceptional value for the money, however I returned them after couple of days, as I was after something more refined.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Nikola, I respect your “feeling of joy,” but how irresponsible would I feel spending $2000+ Canadian on Edward Green shoes, on my teacher salary? It’s much more stylish for me to wear some well-made vintage or some nicely designed Portuguese- or Vietnamese-made shoes AND contribute to my kids’ university tuition.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well if money no object I would bespoke everything and it would be best value, if I can afford to...

starro

Reaction score
@Nikola, I respect your “feeling of joy,” but how irresponsible would I feel spending $2000+ Canadian on Edward Green shoes, on my teacher salary? It’s much more stylish for me to wear some well-made vintage or some nicely designed Portuguese- or Vietnamese-made shoes AND contribute to my kids’ university tuition.

Why don't you peruse discounts and lightly worn second-hand? Seems to me you can scratch your EG itch and stay within budget, if you add in patience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads