• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you have the most trouble finding RTW? Why?

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
Originally Posted by Modernist
If the OP's intention was to imply "and you have to go bespoke", then it's got to be shirts. I'm a fairly standard 40 in all measurements except sleeve length. All the slim-fit RTW that I find are about 1 1/2" short. And there are some details that I'm a bit OCD about. Especially a stitched down full back box pleat. Despite the added visual interest, it also acts as a dart, making for a neater and more fitted back.

Besides that, it's got to be OTC socks in anything else besides black, navy and grey.

you prefer the box pleat be stitched down?

Yes, for instance the way Band of Outsiders' shirts are like.

Hm, perhaps the correct term isn't "stitched down" but "stitched"? Non-native speaker alert
blush.gif

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, for instance the way Band of Outsiders' shirts are like.

Hm, perhaps the correct term isn't "stitched down" but "stitched"? Non-native speaker alert
blush.gif

Your english is fine. I didn't know this was an option. I hate when my box pleat gets pulled out and just shows a crease. Stitching the pleat flat would still give you the look without having to worry about it getting pulled out. That's actually a really neat idea..

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts and jackets. Probably jackets, since a few places carry slim-cut 15.5x36. No one carries jackets that fit me OTR - the closest would probably be a 39L with two extra inches of sleeve.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Basic, plain suits. As in a grey or navy worsted.

I don't know if kaxixi meant hard to find or hard to find at 80% off. Finding basic suits should be pretty easy.

Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
36S suits and sportcoats

The higher-end boutiques and even department stores only order a few pieces each season. They rarely make it past the first markdown. I would kill to find some decent Hickey Freeman odd jackets for $250-300ish.

Haven't you been using MTM? Last time I saw you--quite a while ago I think--you had a nice jacket on. I know it would be great to get a source for cheaper RTW, but once you have a good wardrobe, aren't you better served by adding exactly what you want?

Besides that, it's got to be OTC socks in anything else besides black, navy and grey.

Yeah, no idea where you might be able to find those...
devil.gif

For me, it's shirts. I'm sure it's no coincidence that the cheapest bespoke/mtm category, with the most options, is the one most guys struggle with.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I've only found two RTW shirts that pass the mark, Orian for Tomorrowland and Spencer Hart. In the case of Spencer Hart, they're a little too full and long so perfect for doing a few minor alterations to. I must try Barba sometime. I've tried Fray and was a bit disappointed, someone once gave me a Tom Ford and it was way tight (and not in a good way).

becareful buying Barba, some are cut fuller, but they all have a nice fit around the chest, so it's easy to taper the rest. Also you can buy black label Barbas which are pretty tight for me around the shoulder and upper arms, but might work for you. Fray is pretty full as you said. I looked at Orian in Japan before, I think the sleeves are cut too short for me
frown.gif
I really like their button down collars.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the OP's intention was to imply "and you have to go bespoke", then it's got to be shirts. I'm a fairly standard 40 in all measurements except sleeve length. All the slim-fit RTW that I find are about 1 1/2" short. And there are some details that I'm a bit OCD about. Especially a stitched down full back box pleat. Despite the added visual interest, it also acts as a dart, making for a neater and more fitted back.

I had no intention other than curiosity. Conne's reason--not willing to pay retail--is as good as any.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits that fit. Normal drops don't work for me. Other then that I'm easy enough.

For the person looking for 36. Vacation in Italy. Italian 46 is pretty common. Come over twice a year for the sales if you want . It's not like the 46 are flying off the racks. Even now the shops have stuff on the small end of the range getting cheaper by the week.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
About the same here... 15.5 neck 37 on one asrm, 36 the other.

Sweaters are the worst for me... sleeve all too short.

Mee too. I either push the sleeves up, or when worn over a shirt I show a little shirt cuff which isn't too bad.

Other than that I wash them, then stretch the sleeves while they are wet & dry them flat.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
What are you guys paying for Orian? I can get them.

I've never bought one so couldn't remember correctly, but they seem to be around US$150 from Tomorrowland in Japan.

Reaction score
Dress Shirts have been the hardest, but mtm has solved that. Getting a shirt to fit a 18 inch neck with a 39.5 inch sleeve just wasn't happening. I had to have the shoulder seam half way down my triceps to get a sleeve that was long enough. Suits are the difficult item at the moment. It will have to be mtm or bespoke because finding a 48l or xl jacket with 35 or 36 pants just isn't going to happen. Any otr jackets need so much waist suppression that it is ridiculous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads