• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i think this is actually a good topic for discussion. i would put myself in that category, but i do find myself questioning why i'll spend $300 to $400 for a nice dinner, but buy my suits and jackets on ebay or B&S. i mean, the first lasts a couple of hours, while clothes will last a couple of years. doesn't make sense, but that's how i am.

Just different priorities, and you value the pleasure of food and company, and the memories that come with them more than the clothes you wear. It's perfectly understandable.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just different priorities, and you value the pleasure of food and company, and the memories that come with them more than the clothes you wear. It's perfectly understandable.

thanks sfield! you make my bad wardrobe seem almost heartwarming.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW in the last couple of weeks I've watched three of the "Inventing Cuisine" videos that feature some top chefs. The films have all been interesting, some more than others, and I've learned a few things. Of the three subjects, Passard, Bras, and Gagnaire, Gagnaire was a distant third. Passard and Bras were both very thoughtful, completely immersed in coming up with and executing their dishes, and they seemed like intelligent, and reasonable, if also quirky geniuses. Gagnaire on the other hand was a bit over the top; very much playing the French tyrant, messy, bossy, flamboyantly touching and tasting and running his fingers through his long hair...Gagnaire Paris was high on my list of places to try, but it slipped a bit lower because of the video. Will be going back to Arpege and then Bras before I go to Gagnaire...

link?

The guy from l'Astrance and Passard were the best.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks sfield! you make my bad wardrobe seem almost heartwarming.

Most of my mentors and the people whose wisdom and advice I most seek dress abominably by this forum's standards. Most of the rest of them have enough money to have someone dress them impeccably, with little input on their own part.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And a lot of people that spend a lot on dinner dress like total ****. Some of the best customers were university profs who had the taste and love for great food but not the kind of cash that would permit a wardrobe that matches many other clients.

Funny you should mention this. I was at a wine tasting for the "Summer of Riesling" at Daniel on Tuesday. I sat next to an older gentleman, in his late fifties, who was an adjunct professor at a University in New Jersey. His suit was ill fitting, and he certainly wasn't the most put together man in the room, but none of that really mattered. His knowledge of wines, and of restaurants in Manhattan--and even Paris--was unsurpassed. Of the ten different Rieslings we tasted, he told me something interesting about nine of them.

He also told me to go to Picholine; he said it's his favorite place to eat in the city. He mentioned I go this Fall for the Scottish game bird tasting menu. Gave me his card and told me to tell them he sent me, and that I'd get an extra course...nice guy.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Funny you should mention this. I was at a wine tasting for the "Summer of Riesling" at Daniel on Tuesday. I sat next to an older gentleman, in his late fifties, who was an adjunct professor at a University in New Jersey. His suit was ill fitting, and he certainly wasn't the most put together man in the room, but none of that really mattered. His knowledge of wines, and of restaurants in Manhattan--and even Paris--was unsurpassed. Of the ten different Rieslings we tasted, he told me something interesting about nine of them.

He also told me to go to Picholine; he said it's his favorite place to eat in the city. He mentioned I go this Fall for the Scottish game bird tasting menu. Gave me his card and told me to tell them he sent me, and that I'd get an extra course...nice guy.

I wonder how a part time prof from New Jersey can afford all that?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

i dunno man. if i can go to momofuku ko and kwilk can go to alinea i think a part time prof could do a lot of things

Yes, but neither one of you have unsurpassed knowledge of restaurants in Manhattan and Paris.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
or maybe he wrote a book. One of my professors in college wrote a text book and close to half a million copies had been sold to date. Even if she received like a meager $3 per book (from the $80 retail), that's still some pretty serious income for a prof.

if the college in NJ is Princeton, it's certainly possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads