• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sole stuffed with crab on asparagus-portobello salad.

20110824-1.jpg

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

gotta say impolyt, for a SW&D dude you clean up well. also i find it awesome and amusing this is a regular enough dining experience for you.

SW&D dude? I considered myself a SL, F&D, T dude. :eek: The clothes are just a vestige of the styleforvm glory days.

It is funny though, at the Gagnaire place in Seoul, the outfits you see are always horrendous. Just really horrific.

At Christmas dinner there was a guy in a polo shirt with the collar popped, really loud jeans, and fake white Nike AF1 lowtops, and little ankle sports socks. He bought the most expensive menu for him and his girl and then surprised her at the table with a huge bouquet delivery. All told he probably spent about $1500-2000 on dinner.

Same dinner, another guy was wearing jeans and a hoody, with the hood up.

Another guy with a fitted cap, wearing it backwards.

A couple in front of us was drinking Cokes with dinner, with bendy straws in them.

All of these people were just shoveling the food in their mouths like it was Pizza Hut, and I think some asked for pickles or some sort of kimchi-esque thing on the side (I'll let another Korean person explain this phenomenon). I think the wait staff has a secret room off to the side of the dining room so they can go off and crack up at all these people.

Yesterday, all the guys were wearing jackets, so not so bad, but a high school age looking kid came with his parents and he was wearing jeans and a pair of ratty deck shoe sneakers.

One slightly chubby Korean guy with a haircut that screamed "#4 all around, 6 months later" was over in the corner enjoying his food alone. I told my gf that he was Kim Jong Il's second son and she believed me. He seemed more like a culinary student or something though, no huge camera like a food blogger would have or something, just eating tons of plates with a huge grin on his face.

Another chubby, sweaty Korean guy with 3 old business guys - it was like that scene in Tampopo. The young guy talked the entire time though, and he was all Men's Ex-ed out, navy SC over grey trews, knit tie, not a bad outift, but way calculated and the fit was exaggerated all Asian style. He had a tipped white PS that was all rouched to the size of my fist sticking out of his pocket.

Business lunch looking group, all ordered a pretty long menu because they got plate after plate of food, shared a single bottle of wine. One guy with his shirt sleeves all rolled up and a big sports watch on, like he was ready to go back to his cubicle afterwards, and another chubby guy doing the Men's Ex-y thing, with a 'fun' sporting jacket that was just full of horrendous details, white elbow patches, a million buttons - it looked like Paul Smith diffusion or something.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am a man from the Orient

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is funny though, at the Gagnaire place in Seoul, the outfits you see are always horrendous. Just really horrific.

And you were surprised to see this in Seoul? And be "Seoul" I mean just about all of Asia?

Where is the restaurant?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

And you were surprised to see this in Seoul? And be "Seoul" I mean just about all of Asia?

Where is the restaurant?

I am not... but then again I am, a little. It's consistently the most expensive place I've ever been to, for so little value... so the people who can afford to even go there and get anything above the $60 lunch 2-plate are the kind of people who have been overseas, possibly even having some modicum of social etiquette. The higher class of Korea love to harp on about how they are so enlightened and refined, how they have some inner circle of eliteness, but yeah. Absolutely horrific. Not a speck of class in that dining room, ever. The food is alright but nothing amazing, and I don't blame them because you can't get anything here to work with in the first place.

That place is in the Lotte Hotel, downtown, connected to the huge department store. It's the only thing like it here, and probably will be, for quite some time. I'd probably venture to say it's a failed experiment for this country and for Lotte, and there are a lot of market reasons for that, but beyond that, it's just really. *******. expensive... and then they do the ten and ten percent service and tax add-on because it's at a hotel, so the menu prices are hardly in line with what you end up seeing on the check. Japanese lunches are cheap, dinners are expensive, but they have nothing on this place.

Pierre Gagnaire comes to Asia about twice a year, runs a week of lunch and dinner services in Hong Kong, Seoul, and Tokyo, and then goes back to whichever island he vacations on I guess. My girlfriend loves Gagnaire the most amongst all the chefs I think, she even took a pic with him in the kitchen in Paris.
They run some ludicrously expensive Friday night special event dinner that he cooks each time he comes here, this week was gonna be some Cristal thing where you get like 5 or 6 pours of different Cristals, set price of 500,000W per head. But after the ten and ten, that's 1,210,000W for two. :fu: I took her to lunch yesterday as a compromise and we still got to chat with him and take a photo for her blog, etc.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Lotte Hotel is really nice. I remember the sign for the restaurant now, like five stories tall or some ****.

ETA: I love how easy it is to goad you into a rant about Korea.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Only have a month left, so get as much of it as you can. :eek: It might take me 10 years to start ranting about Japan, but I don't know if I'll live there long enough to get to that point either.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Only have a month left, so get as much of it as you can. :eek: It might take me 10 years to start ranting about Japan, but I don't know if I'll live there long enough to get to that point either.

So you know what is awesome about Korean food and shows why so much of it is tasty and wonderful?

The winter air dried pollack ftw... am i rite?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads