What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

What, the smell of rotting wet leather isn't appetizing to you? To each his own, I suppose

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Yesterday, I ate the food of Pierre Gagnaire as the man himself looked on; right now I am eating one of those Tesco 2 for 5 quid frozen pizzas and drinking a Cass (local swill beer) - who was it that said my food is either absolutely ballin' or complete peasant status? Was it matt or SField? Because they were right.

4. SField

SField Senior member

Yea I don't remember who said it but I have observed that...

5. impolyt_one

It's like the food equivalent of MC vs SW&D

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Which is which?

7. impolyt_one

Good point. It's more like me doing the food version of a Phat Guido'esque Lardini and Uniqlo mix n match outfit.

8. SField

SField Senior member

No... because SW&D would be stuff like great street food and in some cases funky shit like L'Astrance or Graham Elliot, given the cost of a lot of the shit there. Based on what I paid for some of my shit from Y-3, common projects etc... recently, it isn't exactly truck stop level.

9. impolyt_one

you're right... that bespoke suit I am wearing in the other pic actually cost me $500, by the by - that's like one pair of Common Projects. :eek: I could probably get my bespoke suits for $200 since I basically run my own factory now, but I'll still end up spending $500 on dinner :fu:

10. SField

SField Senior member

MTM isn't that expensive... I think Thick as Thieves and that Ned guy do fabulous work for under $1000, but I'm not an expert like Manton.

And a lot of people that spend a lot on dinner dress like total shit. Some of the best customers were university profs who had the taste and love for great food but not the kind of cash that would permit a wardrobe that matches many other clients.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i think this is actually a good topic for discussion. i would put myself in that category, but i do find myself questioning why i'll spend $300 to $400 for a nice dinner, but buy my suits and jackets on ebay or B&S. i mean, the first lasts a couple of hours, while clothes will last a couple of years. doesn't make sense, but that's how i am.

12. impolyt_one

It might be surprising, but I actually don't really spend much money on clothes at all, especially since I know pretty well of how much other people spend on clothes. I splurge on the occasional weird item I know I can't substitute or wait on, but I rarely drop more than $500 on a piece of clothing and that is a rare occurrence in itself, like a few times a year maybe. I usually spend less than $200 on shoes. I don't know how that works out, because I have a pretty awesome wardrobe that pretty much caters to all any occasion or style, great labels and iconic pieces.

13. moddey

moddey Well-Known Member

FWIW in the last couple of weeks I've watched three of the "Inventing Cuisine" videos that feature some top chefs. The films have all been interesting, some more than others, and I've learned a few things. Of the three subjects, Passard, Bras, and Gagnaire, Gagnaire was a distant third. Passard and Bras were both very thoughtful, completely immersed in coming up with and executing their dishes, and they seemed like intelligent, and reasonable, if also quirky geniuses. Gagnaire on the other hand was a bit over the top; very much playing the French tyrant, messy, bossy, flamboyantly touching and tasting and running his fingers through his long hair...Gagnaire Paris was high on my list of places to try, but it slipped a bit lower because of the video. Will be going back to Arpege and then Bras before I go to Gagnaire...

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had some char siu and baked broc last night.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

link?