• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your cheap must-do's when you go to New York?

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scourage
nonsense. almost all the pizza in new york is good. yes there are special places that use better ingredients and are really exceptional but the basic slice of cheese sets the standard.
it's not fine dining, but local, cheap, dirty pizzerias are a new york classic for good reason.

Sure - the slice joints in NYC are better than most cities. Most cities don't even have anything that comes close to Two Boots.

But to say they are a similar experience is to do places like DiFara a disservice - Dom DeMarco makes a pie far and above anything Famous Ray's or Two Boots ever put out.

Originally Posted by ter1413
grimaldi's is an ok tourist spot where you have to wait for a 1/2 hr for a slick. BS!

Agreed. But it can be nice if combined with a stroll across the bridge. Also, stay away from Lombardi's - a real tourist trap. Even for authenticity's sake it is no longer worth the visit - they changed their pie a few years back so now it is a rather standard Neapolitan pie.

scourage

Reaction score
kungapa;4286089 said:
Sure - the slice joints in NYC are better than most cities. Most cities don't even have anything that comes close to Two Boots.

But to say they are a similar experience is to do places like DiFara a disservice - Dom DeMarco makes a pie far and above anything Famous Ray's or Two Boots ever put out.

-completely agree with this. some places really do stand out. but doesn't mean that the other places are bad in any way.
I grew up in park slope and every single pizza place i could walk to was either good or great.
i guess my point is you don't need a map or a guide book to find good things in new york, especially pizza.

manhattan doesn't seem quite as good though. a little too over ridden by chains. papa gino's IN NEW YORK
wtf
ffffuuuu.gif

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
Dom DeMarco is the soup nazi of pizzas

He is a decently nice guy, just so painfully slow. But it is tasty.

Anthony Mangieri might be the real soup nazi. So hard core and into the game that NYC just wasn't good enough for him anymore - the bastard.

kungapa

Reaction score
scourage;4286169 said:
Originally Posted by kungapa

-completely agree with this. some places really do stand out. but doesn't mean that the other places are bad in any way.
I grew up in park slope and every single pizza place i could walk to was either good or great.
i guess my point is you don't need a map or a guide book to find good things in new york, especially pizza.

manhattan doesn't seem quite as good though. a little too over ridden by chains. papa gino's IN NEW YORK
wtf
ffffuuuu.gif

The risk is, when you tell an NYC novice that any Pizza place is good they won't end up at a pie-restaurant in park slope, they will instead end up at famous ray's or some other crappy slice joint in midtown.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
Agreed. But it can be nice if combined with a stroll across the bridge. Also, stay away from Lombardi's - a real tourist trap. Even for authenticity's sake it is no longer worth the visit - they changed their pie a few years back so now it is a rather standard Neapolitan pie.

lombardis is no good? I thought it was supposed to be one of the best. SHould I take that off my to-do list? Anything else around there I can hit up after a visit to the statue of liberty

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
awesome stuff, very helpful with scheduling out specifics on days

tips for getting into the guggenheim or natural history museum for cheap?

i get in at 7am on a red eye on Sunday, staying on the upper westside, what's the first thing i do once i've arrived in manhattan at 8 or 9 considering i wont be able to check in until after noon or so

Go to Bouchon bakery.

Garbage Mouth

Reaction score
If you head over to Brooklyn, there's a boardwalk right under the Verrazano bridge in Bay Ridge. It leads from Bay Ridge to Bensonhurst and on. It makes for a good bike ride or a walk. Afterwards, eat at Tanoreen for good Arabic food in the area.

Garbage Mouth

Reaction score
Also, don't know if it was mentioned but if you're in Chinatown, definitely get some bubble tea. I don't know the best place, but I like Vivi Bubble Tea on Bayard St. Also, right next to Vivi is the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory.

Both are good places to check out.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Halal food cart is one of the best <$10 meals I've had. Red sauce and white sauce are both fantastic.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Toto Ramen. Seriously. It's the best ramen I've had in the US. Get the chicken... absolutely delicious. The pork over rice side dish with the yuzu mayo (and you know I don't usually eat mayo) is beyond good.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
Is it better than ippudo? If so I must try it. Either way I will though. And again, I repeat, get a levain cookie
CCW-Broken.jpg

Levain are nice but they make you sick if you eat the whole thing. Much prefer Bouchon for baked goods. I prefer Toto Ramen to ippudo. Having spent so much time making stocks, and working for someone who basically made his name on the thoroughness of his stocks, I can say that Toto Ramen makes a very, very satisfying chicken soup. Noodles could be a bit better, but for like $10 who the **** cares. And get the pork over rice. It was so simple, and maybe I was just hungry, but I found it so delicious. Going again this weekend.

Deluks917

Reaction score
I also think Toto has very good ramen. I'd recommend all ther flavors including the spicy (the extra spicy is extremely hot). The place often has a line and is very cramped inside. The wait for Ippuduo is crazy long sometimes but the food is good. Don't go to Men Ku Tei. Its a five minute walk from Ippudo and one day I decided to go their instead of waiting on line. Spacious interior but so so Ramen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads