• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was that the one with the lesbians? I dunno, I remember some pretty awful Hemingway. (But only one book, and I think it was posthumous, and had lesbians).

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is that? I love his dialogue (and his influence as a playwright), and his non-fic is OK, but I always worried as a novelist, he’d be a ****** prose writer.

Also, it seems it’s no longer acceptable to love Mamet. Ie, he’s a man, he writes about “tough men”, speaking in clipped sentences, he has beefy forearms and a simian hairline, etc. (Not to mention Oleanna, oh noes...)
I gave up. I was about 80 pages in and realized i just didnt care. There is not a subordinate clause, mamet found, that he, in this instance of his career, could not employ, often, with various success.

Real talk if you or anyone else wants it just PayPal me for a usps flat rate small box and ill throw in a blank bookplate to use .

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried to listen to this podcast, and it’s a subject I was extremely motivated to learn about, but that guy is such a ****** narrator. So disappointing!

I am reading
View attachment 1154344

What an absolutely fantastic book this is.
So im now reading "Say Nothing" and afterward i think my plan is to finally nut up and make good on reading war and peace or one of Caro's works.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that the one with the lesbians? I dunno, I remember some pretty awful Hemingway. (But only one book, and I think it was posthumous, and had lesbians).

It was about running contraband and bank robbers in Cuba and The Keys. This was one of his early novels.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently reading Christian Wolmar's history of the Trans-Siberian railroad, because we'll be travelling it in the autumn...
9781610394529_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Currently reading Christian Wolmar's history of the Trans-Siberian railroad, because we'll be travelling it in the autumn...
9781610394529_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I inherited 100 shares in the Trans-Siberian railroad. It's been worthless paper since about 1918 or so, but it's a cool keepsake.

Great movie, and I've heard good things about the book.

I'm in the middle of the 2nd book of the Broken Earth Trilogy. I've stayed away from the world of epic fantasy for a while, it all seemed so similar, but this one breaks the mold in a really enjoyable way:

6c2b9c5cb8dd1303b266e35bbcf55b03

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm reading this:
The_Making_of_the_Atomic_Bomb.png

Written in 1987, it is such a richly-contextualized book, starting in the late 1800s and detailing the nuclear discoveries of all the great physicists.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of the 2nd book of the Broken Earth Trilogy. I've stayed away from the world of epic fantasy for a while, it all seemed so similar, but this one breaks the mold in a really enjoyable way:

Oh, they are quite excellent.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Redneck Manifesto by Jim Goad. It's pretty good if you love irreverent, visceral humor. I have DeLillo's Underworld, going to start that tonight.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where You’ll Find Me - story of a thrill seeking female banker who died in the white mountains. Hard to put down - it’s great if you’re into hiking. I opened the amazon package and didn’t put it down until I finished it that night.

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics - even a super skinny book looks impressive on the shelf if it has the word physics in the title.

Heather Mac Donald’s newest is good. I bought my niece a copy because she’s headed to college soon and most of it focuses on campus politics. I guess I’m that uncle now. Just started Black Rednecks and White Liberals.

07EC2C36-F3FB-403B-9C21-E26AA5BDA0E2.jpeg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been knee deep in "The History of Rome/Byzantium" podcasts but just started:

711EQ1s0iIL.jpg

I rarely go to the movies these days but still love reading about the film industry.

I wrapped this a few weeks or a month ago. Fascinating story as I always love to read how the sausage was made business books. I thought his writing was pretty ****** though - kind of like a diary entries. Anyway I appreciate his candidness.

Just started this:
Reviews_Bonanza_960x640.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m now onto A River Runs Through It. I don’t know how how I missed this one, but it’s pretty much perfection.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m now onto A River Runs Through It. I don’t know how how I missed this one, but it’s pretty much perfection.
I enjoyed that story s ton but it failed to resonate with me as much as it fid with others. Truly I'm a failure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads