• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well that is a disappointment. Only one chapter of what seems to heban interesting story. The rest of the book is the same chapter in a bunch of languages.

Interesting fact: they put a label over the translator name but it was translucent. Theres no google information about the translator. He has a western name semi unique and it listed his title so there should be something about him. But alas.... (translation was a bit stilted fwiw).

The last page mentioned "the tinkling of bells" but i reviewed the korean and it should he "ringing of bells". Maybe our experts on the finer subtleties of Korean translation can opine. @erictheobscure @Ataturk

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
upload_2019-4-2_20-48-1.jpeg

Whelp, it happened. Next to White Noise and Libra, this is supposed to be DeLillo’s best, and I’ve been saving it for years as I’ve watched his novels dwindle down to little more than lovely poems, missing the humor, drama or scope of previous efforts. The long intro, set in an old-timey baseball game attended by Frank Sinatra and Jackie Gleason, is every bit as good as they say. I lick my thumb. I turn the page. Breathing intensifies.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
9780312924294-us.jpg

I read this several times....including recently. It's a brutal look into the Irish "mob" which ruled Hell's Kitchen in NYC from the 60's until the 80's.

The gang was used by the Italian mafia for many "off the record hits" and deserved their notorious rep. Led by Jimmy Coonan and Mickey Featherstone(in later years), the Westies tore up parts of NYC during those years.

This was the basis of the movie State of Grace with Sean Penn, Robin Wright and the brilliant Gary Oldman.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
9780312924294-us.jpg

I read this several times....including recently. It's a brutal look into the Irish "mob" which ruled Hell's Kitchen in NYC from the 60's until the 80's.

The gang was used by the Italian mafia for many "off the record hits" and deserved their notorious rep. Led by Jimmy Coonan and Mickey Featherstone(in later years), the Westies tore up parts of NYC during those years.

This was the basis of the movie State of Grace with Sean Penn, Robin Wright and the brilliant Gary Oldman.
Have you heard about the book that just came out "Say Nothing "?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you heard about the book that just came out "Say Nothing "?

I haven't. Just added it to my Amazon and Apple wish list. I have so many books to get to/read so I probably won't get it for a while. Tks for the rec. Heard good things about it?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't. Just added it to my Amazon and Apple wish list. I have so many books to get to/read so I probably won't get it for a while. Tks for the rec. Heard good things about it?
Lots of good things. I started reading it at BN yesterday its just bigger than I want now so itll be next up.

I had a year to carch up on my lifes to read list. Only added to it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lots of good things. I started reading it at BN yesterday its just bigger than I want now so itll be next up.

I had a year to carch up on my lifes to read list. Only added to it.

I have a BN a few blocks away. I will stop in this wknd and check it out.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tonight, I'll be all caught up with the History of Byzantium podcast and can then dedicate myself back to books. Whew!

I tried to listen to this podcast, and it’s a subject I was extremely motivated to learn about, but that guy is such a ****** narrator. So disappointing!

I am reading
upload_2019-4-3_15-9-48.jpeg

What an absolutely fantastic book this is.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried to listen to this podcast, and it’s a subject I was extremely motivated to learn about, but that guy is such a ****** narrator. So disappointing!

I am reading
View attachment 1154344

What an absolutely fantastic book this is.
I know I'm depriving myself of great literature but man, I'm not even that old and I'm getting to the point of: do I have enough of my life left to read an 1100-page book? (I often say no).

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like David Mamet. I like David Mamet because he's pretentious. I especially like David Mamet's brand of pretentiousness. But right off the bat this one is pretty thick with it.

512yKCrGkPL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is that? I love his dialogue (and his influence as a playwright), and his non-fic is OK, but I always worried as a novelist, he’d be a ****** prose writer.

Also, it seems it’s no longer acceptable to love Mamet. Ie, he’s a man, he writes about “tough men”, speaking in clipped sentences, he has beefy forearms and a simian hairline, etc. (Not to mention Oleanna, oh noes...)

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mamet, from HEIST; “he is so cool sheep count him to get to sleep.”

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know I'm depriving myself of great literature but man, I'm not even that old and I'm getting to the point of: do I have enough of my life left to read an 1100-page book? (I often say no).

You really should attemp this book, edina - I predict that you wouldn’t want to put it down.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m working my way through books by some of my favorite authors which I haven’t read yet.

View attachment 1151081

How was it? Supposedly Hemingway thought that was the worst book he ever wrote. Something about a bet with the director of the movie version along the lines of "I bet you can't make a decent movie out of my worst book".

I am not sure I ever made it to the end.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was it? Supposedly Hemingway thought that was the worst book he ever wrote. Something about a bet with the director of the movie version along the lines of "I bet you can't make a decent movie out of my worst book".

I am not sure I ever made it to the end.

Hemingway’s worst is still better than most authors’ best. I enjoyed it, but it’s certainly not as good as his other work. My favorite is The Sun Also Rises.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads