• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird Wrinkles on the Front of My Jacket (Its not fused)

macintosh85

Reaction score
I have a solid light gray Hickey Freeman "madison" suit. I just noticed the other day that in strong light I can see these wrinkles in the front of the jacket. The wrinkles are under the front pocket by the buttons. The suit is not fused but it almost looks like bubbling from glue. Does any one know what this is and how to fix it? Its hard to see in the picture. Thanks.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert on Hickey Freeman, but are you sure it's not fused in part? Just because it has canvas doesn't mean it can't have fusing as well, if it's half-canvassed it will have both.

macintosh85

Reaction score
It's definitely fully canvassed with no fusing. I took it to the mens store here in town that sells Hickey freeman. One of the guys opened up the bottom seam of the jacket to make sure there was no fusing. He didn't know what was wrong with it either.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Press the jacket, it will be fine. Check the front button, looks like some tension around the button. Better to have it pressed by a tailor weather than a dry cleaner.

macintosh85

Reaction score
Press the jacket, it will be fine. Check the front button, looks like some tension around the button. Better to have it pressed by a tailor weather than a dry cleaner.

Thats what I thought too. Got it pressed two days ago, yet still the wrinkles persist.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

macintosh85

Reaction score
Do some push-ups.
Re-press...
teacha.gif
Lol. I guess I could take it back to the cleaners and have them re-press it.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your comment that you see this in strong light suggests it may or may not be a legitimate issue. Lighting makes things appear that may not be there. Feel the area to see if anything physical is causing these bumps. Take it to a tailor for pressing. The method for pressing used by your cleaners may be causing this. They may be using too much uncontrolled steam.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The position of the wrinkling looks to follow the bottom of the inside pockets but I think it is caused more by tension on the fronts from buttoning, light color of cloth that will show anything that isn't perfectly smooth underneath and highlighted by direct lighting on the cloth. A picture without flash with the jacket unbuttoned may make it go away.

macintosh85

Reaction score
I took it back to the cleaners today. They seem to think they can press the wrinkles out. Will see...

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I took it back to the cleaners today. They seem to think they can press the wrinkles out. Will see...

it's almost like you didn't read Despos' posts. Their press probably caused it. A tailor will press it differently. He's a master tailor- he knows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads