• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mitten's fit might be more formal, but he misses the small things

Points against Mitt:

-Lack of PS
-Lack of shirt cuff
-No tie dimple

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is that pic from his blog?

chinesealpha

Reaction score

Points against Mitt:

-Lack of PS
-Lack of shirt cuff
-No tie dimple
PS... fey, affected, would alienate everyone from Florida to Ohio
Tie dimple - sloppy, soft. With Iran and Syria in the news, a dimple projects weakness.
Cuff - can't help you there. Maybe he needs a good shoulder rub.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chocolosa,
Deets on that unstructured casual jacket?
I want something exactly like that.
Hey Reevolving..its from a brand called Kroon Tech...grabbed at Nordstroms on sale for just over a $100..I bought and threw it on with no tailoring whatsoever..which for me never happens.. its a cotton unstructured unlined jacket.. I've used it with a shirt, tie and slacks and dressed it up.. or in that pic with jeans and loafers and dressed it down.. one of my few go too warm weather jackets that I utilize frequently..hope the info helps..

arredondoae

Reaction score

Points against Mitt:

-Lack of PS
-Lack of shirt cuff
-No tie dimple

This. Given the choice of being poorly-dressed to the proper formality or being well-dressed but under-dressed, I'd choose well-dressed 99% of the time.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
best dressed pauper still isnt a prince .
Are we still talking about wearing bespoke Harris tweed to meet somebody whose two sartorial speeds are "city suit" and "dad jeans?"

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are we still talking about wearing bespoke Harris tweed to meet somebody whose two sartorial speeds are "city suit" and "dad jeans?"

Nope. But it's sad to see SF degenerate to believing that one could be under dressed but yet well dressed.

But then SF does worship a bunch of guys wearing bespoke tweed jackets at 30C 80% humidity weather.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just to be clear here. If I am dressed appropriately for an occasion in an odd jacket, but some guy shows up in a suit, then I am underdressed?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I have the same barber as one of my state senators. I always get super pissed when I have to change into a suit mid-haircut each time he's at the barber at the same time as me.

Nope. But it's sad to see SF degenerate to believing that one could be under dressed but yet well dressed.

Not to shatter the iGent illusion, but 99% of the time, in the real world, an odd jacket is completely acceptable to wear in a room full of suits. "Under-dressed" and "over-dressed," unless specifically stated by an invitation (and, even then, we all know the nightmares of today's "dress codes"), are all completely subjective measures created by one's understanding of decorum and tradition. Our society has shifted from "ignorance is no excuse of the law" to "ignorance is the law."

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear here. If I am dressed appropriately for an occasion in an odd jacket, but some guy shows up in a suit, then I am underdressed?
Obviously. Remember, we're dealing with Vox, whose Coherent Combinations thread stressed two vital ideas:

1. Ensure that the formality of your fit is internally consistent.
2. Ensure that the formality of your fit is externally consistent with whatever Mitt Romney is wearing that day.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not to shatter the iGent illusion, but 99% of the time, in the real world, an odd jacket is completely acceptable to wear in a room full of suits. "Under-dressed" and "over-dressed," unless specifically stated by an invitation (and, even then, we all know the nightmares of today's "dress codes"), are all completely subjective measures created by one's understanding of decorum and tradition. Our society has shifted from "ignorance is no excuse of the law" to "ignorance is the law."

#truth

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads