• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch - no limit

Mac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Truer words were never spoken.
+1.
bigstar[1].gif
People who aren't watch aficionados recognise Rolex and Omega as the top of the line—not that they aren't top quality watches though. You could count on one hand the number of people who will look down at you for wearing one. My dad's owned two Rolex watches in the last thirty years with both working as well as they did on the day he got them.

Bartolo

Reaction score
I think we're being trolled here. No one has 'no price limit' when it comes to wristwatches, knowing full well that they can go well into the 6 digits.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I've liked every Breitling I've seen.

My personal #1 rule is that if I can't read the dial readily, I don't buy it. I'm really not a fan of Breitling's overly-complicated dials with numerals and wording that's tiny.

If I want an artistic dial, I'd go towards the kind of guilloche work seen on some Breguets.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you like the royal oak, and daddy is willing to drop like 15-20,000 clams on a watch for you, get the Royal Oak Offshore on the rubber strap.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
I think the OP's "no limit" is subject to reasonability.

Which is vague in and of itself.

Submariner reasonability? Panerai with an in-house movement reasonability? "Lower-end" Patek reasonability? Just right there we're in a 3x price range.

sellahi22

Reaction score
I would stick with patek for a meaningful graduation present. 5146 and 5960 would be versatile choices that can be dressed up or down.

AP royal oak is the best of the sporty watch category. I like the original and the chronograph but the offshores are a too "hip hop superstar" for my taste.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Well, that should be pretty easy to obtain, Skinny. Last time I checked, there was no shortage on Air-Kings.

Mike

lol8[1].gif
I'm just losing my love for large watches, they're annoying and hamper the ability to wear french cuffs.

legeartis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
An IWC portuguese - classic.

iwc-portuguese-3714.17_j_LRG.jpg

But put it on a brown strap instead.

+1 on the portuguese (and the brown strap). Here's my favourite:
iwc_portuguese_main.jpg

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
lol8[1].gif
I'm just losing my love for large watches, they're annoying and hamper the ability to wear french cuffs.

It's not so much the french cuff part, because I can work with that, but they get in the way of my wrist, which makes things difficult. Back to the topic though. If OP wants no limit, perhaps he should think about things other than money in that limit, such as how long it might take to find one. the JLC Mk XI I mentioned earlier isn't terribly pricy from the prices I've been able to see, but it would probably take a solid year, maybe more, of looking to find one in excellent to near mint for a reasonable price because there are less than three thousand in existence. Given that they were made ~50s, that number has probably gone down significantly for just the total number of available specimens. Tack on finding one with all original hardware in good condition, be really snobbish and look for an RAAF (of which there were only 700 made), and you've got a watch that will genuinely require no limit above and beyond whatever monetary costs it acquires. Personally, I'd probably consider it my grail watch.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the OP said he didn't want one, but can you ever go wrong with this:
jomashop_2148_13995736
Classic styling, rugged as hell, retains value, easily serviced, and keeps accurate time.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ New case design makes me sad
frown.gif

OP, could you clarify the 'no limit'? $10k, $20k, $100k or do you truly mean no limit?

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex Submariner or Cartier Tank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads