• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washington, DC SF Holiday Party: THURSDAY, JANUARY 30th

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I am mostly a lurker here, but I hope to attend. I have no black tie rig, but I will figure something out.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking forward to meeting you!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will try to attend but I have class across town that night. I may consider skipping if it's not too intense a course. I have a black tie so if I can make it I'll definitely rock it

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Since there are so many DC people posting here, figure I could ask for a recommendation.

Does anyone know of a decently quiet spot in the vicinity of northern Dupont for a late happy hour on a Wednesday or Thursday?

I'm looking for:

- Good beer
- Decently quiet
- Able to seat five or so people
- Not douchey

I'd rule out:

- Upscale hotel bars
- The Front Page or anything of its ilk
- Buffalo Billiards and similar
- Chains

I like places like

- Churchkey (too crowded)
- The Red Derby (too far away)
- Asylum (RIP)
- Meridian Pint (too far)
- Wonderland Ballroom (too far)

There's Bier Baron, but it's kind of a business meeting and I wouldn't mind someplace a little less...grungy, I guess.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bier Baron was my first pick when I read your requirements until I got to the last sentence. In Dupont, The Big Hunt has a great beer selection but is a bit of a dive. Pizzeria Paradiso has a great beer selection as well, but is loud and crowded. If you were willing to go to Asylum in Adams Morgan, let me suggest The Black Squirrel, which is a few doors down on 18th. It has the most beers on tap in DC. Unlike Churchkey, the taps are split over two floors.

http://www.blacksquirreldc.com/

Longmorn

Reaction score
Best place I can think of would be downstairs at Jack Rose, but it's really at the bottom of Adams Morgan rather than 'North Dupont'.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best place I can think of would be downstairs at Jack Rose, but it's really at the bottom of Adams Morgan rather than 'North Dupont'. 

That's the thing with DC. You can trip over a loose brick and find yourself in a different neighborhood. I def need to check out Jack Rose, though.

Black Squirrel is great. They also serve entrees at the bar if that matters at all.

Last edited:

ylkim30

Reaction score
There's also:

The Saloon on U Street - you may have to wait, though

Local 16 on a Wednesday and Thursday (especially downstairs) is actually not horrific (unlike the weekends).

James Hoburn, across the street from Front Pages, isn't too bad

Darlington House is ok, also near the Dupont Metro

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

That's the thing with DC. You can trip over a loose brick and find yourself in a different neighborhood. I def need to check out Jack Rose, though.

Black Squirrel is great. They also serve entrees at the bar if that matters at all.

@Ambulance Chaser, thank you, that's perfect! I used to live in Adams Morgan, and the Black Squirrel is one of those places I always meant to go to more often but only ever stopped by a couple of times.

I've only been to Jack Rose once, but I thought it was kind of overwhelming relative to all the good things I'd heard about it. It's probably more appealing if you're into whiskey, but Bourbon is just up the street. Also, I may be biased because I used to go to the gym that was in that building, and I miss it.

There's also:

The Saloon on U Street - you may have to wait, though

Local 16 on a Wednesday and Thursday (especially downstairs) is actually not horrific (unlike the weekends).

James Hoburn, across the street from Front Pages, isn't too bad

Darlington House is ok, also near the Dupont Metro

I think I've been to Local 16 exactly once, and I made the mistake of going on a weekend. Surprisingly eurotrashy.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad I could be of help. The Black Squirrel is a hidden gem in Adams Morgan. In addition to the wide selection of beers, the burgers and mussels are surprisingly good.

A long time ago, I took a boxing boot camp at The Gym That Turned Into Jack Rose. Each session was first thing in the morning, and I felt like I was going to die afterward. In a good way, of course. I miss that gym too, but this is the way of gentrification in DC.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Gentrification, indeed.

The Gym That Turned Into Jack Rose was pretty awesome. 24-hour access, no frills, battered but functional and ample equipment, and boxing classes included with membership.

There was this one angry old guy who always seemed to be there. I assumed he worked there, even though I never saw him doing any actual work. After that gym closed, I joined another one that had recently opened located a few blocks away. After a couple of weeks, the same old guy started showing up at the new gym. I'm almost totally sure he didn't work there.

We talked sometimes. He didn't like my form when I bench pressed. When I told him I was from upstate New York, he said he was familiar with the area because that's where he "was incarcerated for a time". When I told him I was moving to Philly, he told me probably eight times that "Philly ain't no joke". I miss him.

:embar:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I plan to be there! Glad to see we are back on track.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it better not!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder that the DC SF "holiday" party is this Thursday. We're a friendly, laid-back bunch, so don't be shy if it's your first time out!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads