• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walt Mossberg Raves About the iPad

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I'd rather see Foo vs. Moo in a cage match to the death.

Foo's Asian so he's gotta know some kind of martial art by default which would make up for Moo's height and weight advantage.

Nah, that would be unsporting, like 50 midgets v. a lion but minus 49 of the midgets.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
well, at least I got a sig outta this thread.

I'm pretty sure I can take him.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
lol@AF who loves Apple and also the WSJ

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/02/w...is-murdoch-in/

iPad subscription costs more than the print or online one.

Wonder what this indicates about their perception of the Apple fanbois.

facepalm.gif
That is definitely an insane amount of money. $17 a month???

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Welcome to the thread Jon. Nice to see you. I was discussing how Walt Mossberg is a fanboy, and he has an opinion, but his opinion is wrong. Would you like to start over? I didn't read the Walt Mossberg article, because he doesn't usually have much of a clue what he's talking about past the standard bullet points. (which pretty much everyone already knows by now) - and largely because I don't care. I just came in here wondering who gives a ****? Fran decided to wanted to argue with me, and I obliged. Edit: just went back and read it. Do non Apple people really wait with baited breath for the Mossberg review? He tells you in the first few paragraphs that you need to go out and hold it, use it, and decide for yourself whether or not it will "work" for you.
facepalm.gif
That should have been the end of the review. Next he will tell you to remember to breathe, and to make sure you put pants on before you go stand in line to spend nine hundred bucks on a top of the line iPad.

I love how Slim calls Mossberg a "fan boy" because he likes Apple. Is it not possible Walt's job is to evaluate the functionality and user-friendliness of all electronic devices and report the best? If Apple has the best products in this area and Walt says so with a reasoned argument is that now grounds for "fanboy" status? The new Windows 7 is great but OS X is still the best operating system. I use a HP EliteBook for work and love it but it is not as user-friendly as my iMac. The differences in user experience have narrowed over the years but Apple still hold the lead there and in design as well.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I love how Slim calls Mossberg a "fan boy" because he likes Apple. Is it not possible Walt's job is to evaluate the functionality and user-friendliness of all electronic devices and report the best? If Apple has the best products in this area and Walt says so with a reasoned argument is that now grounds for "fanboy" status?
No, he's a fanboy because he is biased. As I pointed out earlier, he is SO BIASED that even in a review for a competitive product, he has to MANUFACTURE a scenario where Apple wins, instead of pointing out that Apple simply won't do the equivalent of the MS product. And reasoned arguments are based in fact. When you start using speculation and false information to build your arguments, then I don't think it's very reasonable.
The new Windows 7 is great but OS X is still the best operating system. I use a HP EliteBook for work and love it but it is not as user-friendly as my iMac. The differences in user experience have narrowed over the years but Apple still hold the lead there and in design as well.
You say this like it's a fact. But in fact, it's just another ****** opinion.
smile.gif
Maybe you can convince a couple hundred thousand idiots to subscribe to your newspaper...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
No, he's a fanboy because he is biased. As I pointed out earlier, he is SO BIASED that even in a review for a competitive product, he has to MANUFACTURE a scenario where Apple wins, instead of pointing out that Apple simply won't do the equivalent of the MS product.

And reasoned arguments are based in fact. When you start using speculation and false information to build your arguments, then I don't think it's very reasonable.

Where did Walt manufacture a scenario that Apple wins?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Where did Walt manufacture a scenario that Apple wins?

If you really want, I will go back through his reviews later and paste some.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif
That is definitely an insane amount of money. $17 a month???

Not sure what is in the content, but they have shifted to offer new products lately (or at least someone came to our office to ask if we wanted it) where there is exclusive content, access to particular data, or archives. I think the product they told us about was WSJ Pro. Not sure what is on the ipad or the pricing for it, but it's possible it's higher content than you'd receive usually. And Mossberg wasn't the only reviewer to talk about how the ipad was great. Of course you'll have certain crazies on these parts who feel the need to attack anyone owning an Apple product or Apple for whatever reason, regardless of the fact that they haven't had the chance to even see the product, but I recommend ignoring them. These pad computers will fill a niche for people that want that kind of a product.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't want to hear my opinion on Walt Mossberg re: Apple, or Macs, or anything Apple related - don't invite me to post my opinion.

I feel like I've been pretty good at not "insulting everyone with an Apple product" as Haganah states. In fact, it seems to me that I'm frequently intentionally baited in threads like this, and if you don't like my response - don't start an argument with me about it.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well i like to believe that the "it just works" apple mantra is what will make the ipad successful.

**** i'm still using an old C2D plastic macbook thats over 3 years old. all i did was upgrade ram and a HD and its still working great.

i'm still using my first gen iphone with att and its still going strong. even on edge googlemaps loads up pretty quick and i've used it for all sorts of **** (finding my way around here in NYC, or any other city, games, camera, music, medical apps, and music and videos).

they are both old and beaten up, but i guess the new englander in me likes it that way using **** thats functional and i don't have to even think about operating. the **** just works.

coming back from a trip i just realized where the ipad would work great for me: something light and easy to use to bring around to store pics with and surf the net and even watch a movie.

hearing people hate on apple just kinda goes in one ear and out the other for me... because i'm sure if i buy the ipad it'll just work and keep on working.

i almost understand the hate for apple products/users when someone clearly just buys an iphone/mac for looks and doesn't know even how to use it, but that **** is prevalent even for blackberry users or dudes who drop $3,000.00 on a DSLR only to shoot with intelligent auto 99% of the time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't want to hear my opinion on Walt Mossberg re: Apple, or Macs, or anything Apple related - don't invite me to post my opinion.

I feel like I've been pretty good at not "insulting everyone with an Apple product" as Haganah states. In fact, it seems to me that I'm frequently intentionally baited in threads like this, and if you don't like my response - don't start an argument with me about it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
well i like to believe that the "it just works" apple mantra is what will make the ipad successful.

While a certain era of Apple products was pretty well built, I think the push for smaller/thinner + aluminum recently has taken a big toll on how fragile they are. I mean, There are MB Air board components glued to the inside surface of the shell... You dent the laptop in the wrong spot, and you are buying a new laptop. There is something to be said for plastic body panels. They can take much more abuse.

i almost understand the hate for apple products/users when someone clearly just buys an iphone/mac for looks and doesn't know even how to use it, but that **** is prevalent even for blackberry users or dudes who drop $3,000.00 on a DSLR only to shoot with intelligent auto 99% of the time.
^ I mock them too.
And people who operate motor vehicles without knowing how to drive.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good review - http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/apple-ipad-review/

I usually don't like Joshua cause I find him to be pretty biased but I think his review was fair and balanced and he does a good job of pointing out some of the device's shortcomings e.g. saying that most of the other reviews on the web don't mention how the lack of flash on the device (and yes I know many sites are working on HTML 5 but that's not going to solve everything) is going to "hurt" the average user who won't understand why their web isn't working properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads