1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Walt Mossberg Raves About the iPad

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Mar 31, 2010.

1. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

Walt Mossberg is an old fart. WTF does he know about anything.....

2. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

He changed his name to iMossberg this morning.

3. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

there are few things in life as sweet as voiding your bladder after holding it for some ungodly time. I can hold off the bowel stuff, but the bladder, when you really, really have to go, you have to go.

Absolutely. One of the few things that comes close to literally, and not just proverbially, being "better than sex" is a good piss after having to hold it for ages.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

He is a fanboy. I don't begrudge him an opinion, but it's wrong.

No.

We are all entitled to our opinions, not our own facts. So, unless he stated an incorrect fact...

5. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I think the ipad concept (a tablet that can do tons of stuff) is great, just not sure that Apple will be the ones to win the war.

I've wanted something like an iPad for over 10 years.

And I still really dislike touch screens.

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

No. We are all entitled to our opinions, not our own facts. So, unless he stated an incorrect fact...
    Yes, this is what I said. Mossberg's "facts" and assumptions, and therefore, the opinions based off them are frequently wrong. For example, when he compares upgrading XP/Win7 to upgrading Leopard/Snow Leopard. (a biased and apples to oranges comparison) Or his mathematically incorrect assertion of the hard drive space that he "saved" by doing so. When someone bases an opinion on incomplete, inaccurate, or biased information - one could (and I did) say that their opinion is wrong. He is frequently "wrong". This seems like pretty basic stuff. Note that I didn't begrudge him the right to believe whatever he wants.

7. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I would really enjoy seeing foo vs. slim in an e-debate. nobody willing to give up an inch, each patiently and dutifully writing out long replies to each other. it would be like watching paint peel.

8. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

I would really enjoy seeing foo vs. slim in an e-debate.

I'd rather see Foo vs. Moo in a cage match to the death.

Foo's Asian so he's gotta know some kind of martial art by default which would make up for Moo's height and weight advantage.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Yes, this is what I said.
    Mossberg's "facts" and assumptions, and therefore, the opinions based off them are frequently wrong.

For example, when he compares upgrading XP/Win7 to upgrading Leopard/Snow Leopard. (a biased and apples to oranges comparison) Or his mathematically incorrect assertion of the hard drive space that he "saved" by doing so.

When someone bases an opinion on incomplete, inaccurate, or biased information - one could (and I did) say that their opinion is wrong.
    He is frequently "wrong".

This seems like pretty basic stuff.
    Note that I didn't begrudge him the right to believe whatever he wants.

I thought this thread was about his review of the iPad, and he did not misstate any facts in his review. If we are speaking of Mossberg's overall reviews of Mac vs. PC, that is an entirely different matter.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I thought this thread was about his review of the iPad, and he did not misstate any facts in his review. If we are speaking of Mossberg's overall reviews of Mac vs. PC, that is an entirely different matter.
    Welcome to the thread Jon. Nice to see you. I was discussing how Walt Mossberg is a fanboy, and he has an opinion, but his opinion is wrong. Would you like to start over? I didn't read the Walt Mossberg article, because he doesn't usually have much of a clue what he's talking about past the standard bullet points. (which pretty much everyone already knows by now) - and largely because I don't care. I just came in here wondering who gives a shit? Fran decided to wanted to argue with me, and I obliged. Edit: just went back and read it. Do non Apple people really wait with baited breath for the Mossberg review? He tells you in the first few paragraphs that you need to go out and hold it, use it, and decide for yourself whether or not it will "work" for you. [​IMG] That should have been the end of the review. Next he will tell you to remember to breathe, and to make sure you put pants on before you go stand in line to spend nine hundred bucks on a top of the line iPad.

11. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I'd rather see Foo vs. Moo in a cage match to the death.

Foo's Asian so he's gotta know some kind of martial art by default which would make up for Moo's height and weight advantage.

Nah, that would be unsporting, like 50 midgets v. a lion but minus 49 of the midgets.

12. Matt

Matt Senior member

well, at least I got a sig outta this thread.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

well, at least I got a sig outta this thread.

I'm pretty sure I can take him.

14. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

lol@AF who loves Apple and also the WSJ

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/02/w...is-murdoch-in/

iPad subscription costs more than the print or online one.

Wonder what this indicates about their perception of the Apple fanbois.

[​IMG] That is definitely an insane amount of money. $17 a month???

16. Artisan Fan

Welcome to the thread Jon. Nice to see you. I was discussing how Walt Mossberg is a fanboy, and he has an opinion, but his opinion is wrong. Would you like to start over? I didn't read the Walt Mossberg article, because he doesn't usually have much of a clue what he's talking about past the standard bullet points. (which pretty much everyone already knows by now) - and largely because I don't care. I just came in here wondering who gives a shit? Fran decided to wanted to argue with me, and I obliged. Edit: just went back and read it. Do non Apple people really wait with baited breath for the Mossberg review? He tells you in the first few paragraphs that you need to go out and hold it, use it, and decide for yourself whether or not it will "work" for you. [​IMG] That should have been the end of the review. Next he will tell you to remember to breathe, and to make sure you put pants on before you go stand in line to spend nine hundred bucks on a top of the line iPad.
    I love how Slim calls Mossberg a "fan boy" because he likes Apple. Is it not possible Walt's job is to evaluate the functionality and user-friendliness of all electronic devices and report the best? If Apple has the best products in this area and Walt says so with a reasoned argument is that now grounds for "fanboy" status? The new Windows 7 is great but OS X is still the best operating system. I use a HP EliteBook for work and love it but it is not as user-friendly as my iMac. The differences in user experience have narrowed over the years but Apple still hold the lead there and in design as well.

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I love how Slim calls Mossberg a "fan boy" because he likes Apple. Is it not possible Walt's job is to evaluate the functionality and user-friendliness of all electronic devices and report the best? If Apple has the best products in this area and Walt says so with a reasoned argument is that now grounds for "fanboy" status?
    No, he's a fanboy because he is biased. As I pointed out earlier, he is SO BIASED that even in a review for a competitive product, he has to MANUFACTURE a scenario where Apple wins, instead of pointing out that Apple simply won't do the equivalent of the MS product. And reasoned arguments are based in fact. When you start using speculation and false information to build your arguments, then I don't think it's very reasonable.
    You say this like it's a fact. But in fact, it's just another shitty opinion. [​IMG] Maybe you can convince a couple hundred thousand idiots to subscribe to your newspaper...

18. Artisan Fan

No, he's a fanboy because he is biased. As I pointed out earlier, he is SO BIASED that even in a review for a competitive product, he has to MANUFACTURE a scenario where Apple wins, instead of pointing out that Apple simply won't do the equivalent of the MS product.

And reasoned arguments are based in fact. When you start using speculation and false information to build your arguments, then I don't think it's very reasonable.

Where did Walt manufacture a scenario that Apple wins?

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Where did Walt manufacture a scenario that Apple wins?

If you really want, I will go back through his reviews later and paste some.

20. haganah

haganah Senior member

[​IMG] That is definitely an insane amount of money. $17 a month???
    Not sure what is in the content, but they have shifted to offer new products lately (or at least someone came to our office to ask if we wanted it) where there is exclusive content, access to particular data, or archives. I think the product they told us about was WSJ Pro. Not sure what is on the ipad or the pricing for it, but it's possible it's higher content than you'd receive usually. And Mossberg wasn't the only reviewer to talk about how the ipad was great. Of course you'll have certain crazies on these parts who feel the need to attack anyone owning an Apple product or Apple for whatever reason, regardless of the fact that they haven't had the chance to even see the product, but I recommend ignoring them. These pad computers will fill a niche for people that want that kind of a product.