Walt Mossberg Raves About the iPad

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Calling the original iPhone a "piece of crap" based on lack of these features and "poor reception / call quality""”which, again, has more to do with the network than the phone"”seems like a bit of a stretch.

Uh, amongst the most well known problems with the original iPhone, were a notoriously shitty internal antenna. Also a really crappy speaker and volume control software, which people had to software hack so that they could hear calls over light to moderate background noise.

Matt, wasn't it you who asked me how to fix the volume thing? Or was that someone else?

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

devices that seemed to ignore the fact that when inviting people to lunch, we don't text them one at a time
    I only have one friend. Problem solved!

3. Matt

Matt [email protected]

no it wasn't me. I had to install some volume booster for that. Incidentally my Nokia has a great external speaker [​IMG]

4. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

It was, without a doubt, the worst phone I have ever owned. And I am a phone junkie. I change them every six months or so.
    To each his own, I guess. The original iPhone was the first phone I ever owned that I actually liked, and that I actually used for anything other than making calls. The candy bar phones, flip phones, and flip-out-QWERTY-keyboard phones I used up to that point all seem so primitive in comparison. Am using a 3GS now, and couldn't be happier.

Uh, amongst the most well known problems with the original iPhone, were a notoriously shitty internal antenna. Also a really crappy speaker and volume control software, which people had to software hack so that they could hear calls over light to moderate background noise.
    News to me.

Anyway, yeah, this is off-topic. Whatever.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

no it wasn't me. I had to install some volume booster for that. Incidentally my Nokia has a great external speaker [​IMG]
    A lot of people couldn't hear the person they were calling unless it was dead silent, and I'm not talking about the speakerphone, I'm talking about with the thing pressed against their earhole. A hack came out that increased the gain on the speaker something like 300%. Which made the phone have a more normal volume range. But it also made it echo. It was a pretty common problem. Nobody takes an Apple thread off topic like me.

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

anyhow, I'll intervene with my mod hat here - and conscious of the fact that I am involved in the argument, I hope no one accuses me of abusing the powers - but as per my edit in my own post - we've drifted off topic. Send it back to iPad/Mossberg land if we can please guys....if we want a 'reasons i hate my iPhone' thread, we can start one.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Has anyone ever seen Walt Mossberg and Steve Jobs in the same room together? [​IMG]

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

It was, without a doubt, the worst phone I have ever owned. And I am a phone junkie. I change them every six months or so.

The international numbers thing - which is a big deal to anyone outside the US and basically any business person....let's say I have you saved with the number 555 123 4567 under the name Aqhong...then you call me, and the network affixes a country code +1 555 123 4567 - the iPhone's address book would not recognise you, Aqhong will not come up on the display, it would simply have '+1 555 123 4567' - and I would have no idea who you were.

edit - anyhow - we have drifted way way way off-topic here - my point is and was that in writing glowing reviews of basically anything with an Apple logo on it - even devices that seemed to ignore the fact that when inviting people to lunch, we don't text them one at a time - Mossberg has put himself in a position where his writings on Apple products basically should not be trusted, let alone cited as authority. AND this is coming from someone who is definitely not a Mac-hater, and indeed has been using Apple products longer than most people on this board have been able to type.

Lets not pick on just Mossberg... Most of these technology writers in mainstream media are pretty much clueless when it comes down to it.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

clueless reporters are basically my bread and butter - I work in PR remember!

my point basically is if I took a tissue box, send it to him with a press release and an Apple sticker, he'd proclaim it revolutionary. If I took the same tissue box, sent it to him with an HP sticker, he'd call it derivative, bloated, and likely Apple inspired.

10. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Disagree. I think Mossberg is an excellent objective reporter.

lol

See [email protected]'s post right above.

Or is my sarcasm meter broken again??

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

[​IMG] i like my ipod and mac mini. i dont understand the point of a larger ipod touch, or a mac air with the keyboard and all ports removed

12. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

[​IMG]

13. Matt

Matt [email protected]

14. Roy

Roy Senior member

An interesting counterpoint from one of the Apple faithful:

"I bought my iPad as a work investment but, even as a keen Apple user, I'm not convinced I'd want to buy one otherwise"

I'd buy one as soon as they come out, for several reasons:
    1. There are excellent IP Camera viewing apps for the Iphone and Ipad.
      • So I can view the security cameras from my home and my stores. On the Iphone I can view them where ever I am at that moment. And with the Ipad I have a bigger screen for when I'm at home. With full Pan/Tilt/Zoom and recording control.
    2. There are excellent XBMC Remote/Home Control Remote apps for the Iphone and Ipad.
    3. Just for a bit of surfing the web while i'm on the couch or in bed. Instead of my laptop.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I'd buy one as soon as they come out, for several reasons:
    1. There are excellent IP Camera viewing apps for the Iphone and Ipad.
      • So I can view the security cameras from my home and my stores. On the Iphone I can view them where ever I am at that moment. And with the Ipad I have a bigger screen for when I'm at home. With full Pan/Tilt/Zoom and recording control.
    2. There are excellent XBMC Remote/Home Control Remote apps for the Iphone and Ipad.

The fact that this kind of shit works is incredible. Not just on the iPad/iPhone, but in general. Remotely operating your security cameras through a cellphone. Fucking nuts.