• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ostrich boots from the Olathe Boot Co from Olathe, Kansas. In 1978, OBC was purchased by a Texas boot manufacturer and moved to Texas, so these go back as far as 1978, likely earlier. OBC is one of two boot companies that claim they were the first to make what we know as cowboy boots.

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ostrich boots from the Olathe Boot Co from Olathe, Kansas. In 1978, OBC was purchased by a Texas boot manufacturer and moved to Texas, so these go back as far as 1978, likely earlier. OBC is one of two boot companies that claim they were the first to make what we know as cowboy boots.

View attachment 2188105

View attachment 2188109

View attachment 2188107
So what makes a cowboy boot a cowboy boot? As someone with only limited experience with boots, are cowboy boots comfortable?

actionjbone

Reaction score
So what makes a cowboy boot a cowboy boot? As someone with only limited experience with boots, are cowboy boots comfortable?
Originally, they were boots designed for horse riding.

A raised heel helps nestle the foot in the stirrup. No laces = if you fall off the horse, your boot comes off... so that you don't get dragged and die. The long leg sheath helps them stay on without laces.

These days, many folks wear them even if they don't ride, so it's as much a style as it is a working boot. Cowboy boots are also the only modern footwear that still commonly uses exotic leathers like shark, ostrich, eel, etc.

There's also a newer style of cowboy boot, called a "roper boot." They're for folks on the ground using ropes - think lassos at rodeos. Roper Boots have a flatter heel more like a city boot heel, to provide more traction for on-the-ground work.

I've got a pair of roper boots I use as my winter boots. All rubber heels and soles. Great traction for shoveling snow, and the high legs keep water and snow away from my feet. I got a slightly large size and I added warm insoles.

I've got a couple of other tall boots that are really comfy - one eel, one shark. It's not hard adapting to the raised heel, and good cowboy boots are fully welted - with all the related benefits.

Last edited:

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This page is now completely unusable on an iPhone thanks to their new advertisers. Something is broken in the ad-serving technology, and it keeps resetting the page. Impossible to use.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We know you're a lawyer, so we cut you some slack.

Lawyers may not be people, but you try so hard. 😞
This is one of the nicer things said about me, or any lawyer

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh damn, that’s cold.🥶

Honestly, I'm used to it. Even at my childrens' school, the other kids make fun of my work.

One smart aleck asked me how it feels to hose people who are vulnerable. I had to laugh and simply responded that I get to wear nice shoes.

actionjbone

Reaction score
This page is now completely unusable on an iPhone thanks to their new advertisers. Something is broken in the ad-serving technology, and it keeps resetting the page. Impossible to use.
Have you installed Adblock Plus from the app store? Or have you tried the DuckDuckGo browser? One those usually fixes sites when I'm on an i-device.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally, they were boots designed for horse riding.

A raised heel helps nestle the foot in the stirrup. No laces = if you fall off the horse, your boot comes off... so that you don't get dragged and die. The long leg sheath helps them stay on without laces.

These days, many folks wear them even if they don't ride, so it's as much a style as it is a working boot. Cowboy boots are also the only modern footwear that still commonly uses exotic leathers like shark, ostrich, eel, etc.

There's also a newer style of cowboy boot, called a "roper boot." They're for folks on the ground using ropes - think lassos at rodeos. Roper Boots have a flatter heel more like a city boot heel, to provide more traction for on-the-ground work.

I've got a pair of roper boots I use as my winter boots. All rubber heels and soles. Great traction for shoveling snow, and the high legs keep water and snow away from my feet. I got a slightly large size and I added warm insoles.

I've got a couple of other tall boots that are really comfy - one eel, one shark. It's not hard adapting to the raised heel, and good cowboy boots are fully welted - with all the related benefits.
That was very interesting. I was an equestrian in my youth (English saddle, primarily dressage and show jumping) so I’m vaguely familiar with functional origins of the boot from western saddle standpoint. However I wasn’t aware of everything else (especially the evolution into to two different sub-species of boots).

You raise an interesting question: why do you suppose that exotic leathers persist in the cowboy boot world, but not significantly beyond that arena? I’ve seen some amazing vintage AE Polo’s with some exotic mixture of hides, and @smfdoc I believe has an insane vintage pair of AE Chesters in Alligator (which I seem to recall he picked up as NoS). I’d buy a pair of Alligator Strands if they made ‘em.

Finally, what’s the maintenance regimen for those boots?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You raise an interesting question: why do you suppose that exotic leathers persist in the cowboy boot world, but not significantly beyond that arena? I’ve seen some amazing vintage AE Polo’s with some exotic mixture of hides, and @smfdoc I believe has an insane vintage pair of AE Chesters in Alligator (which I seem to recall he picked up as NoS).

Yes, they were NOS alligators. My theory for your question is that the shirt and jeans worn by cowboys were pretty standard. The fancy boots (exotic leathers and stitching) are the main way they can make a fashion statement. The absence of exotic leathers in many shoe lines seems to correspond with the other cost saving measures in the late 90s.

Speaking of exotics, I was in Budapest yesterday and snapped these pictures in a handmade shoe shop window.

IMG_0485.jpeg

IMG_0486.jpeg

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

There was too much reflection on the pair made of stingray.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they were NOS alligators. My theory for your question is that the shirt and jeans worn by cowboys were pretty standard. The fancy boots (exotic leathers and stitching) are the main way they can make a fashion statement. The absence of exotic leathers in many shoe lines seems to correspond with the other cost saving measures in the late 90s.

Speaking of exotics, I was in Budapest yesterday and snapped these pictures in a handmade shoe shop window.

View attachment 2188251
View attachment 2188253
View attachment 2188255
View attachment 2188257
There was too much reflection on the pair made of stingray.
While the materials are interesting, and I’m sure the workmanship is excellent, I really don’t like the last shaping and the overly euro-vamp styling.

Of course, I’m getting older and may have acquired a case of incurable uncoolness.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is he implying that we’re degenerates?
Probably… and maybe we are.

But he was rude and mean, and therefore I will make fun of (what appears to be) his favorite brand of shoes: Church’s.

Church’s, it would appear, has cornered the market for fine fake vintage shoes. What I’d imagined would only be a passing fad, remains an exceedingly expensive part of their lineup:

IMG_3815.jpeg

Yes, that’s right, you can pay Church’s 1,750 bucks for a pair of fake worn vintage shoes, complete with dingy 150th anniversary label:

IMG_3817.jpeg

You can even marvel at their pre-curled shape:

IMG_3816.jpeg

Now, where I’m from, this is some pretty degenerate stuff (in quite a literal sense). Perhaps it’s not that we’re too degenerate… maybe we aren’t degenerate enough.

1716383853174.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm used to it. Even at my childrens' school, the other kids make fun of my work.

One smart aleck asked me how it feels to hose people who are vulnerable. I had to laugh and simply responded that I get to wear nice shoes.
Dude, that’s a badass retort.

Hell, that might be the most awesomely lawyerly thing I’ve ever heard: “yeah, F those losers, check out muh shoes”.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, that’s a badass retort.

Hell, that might be the most awesomely lawyerly thing I’ve ever heard: “yeah, F those losers, check out muh shoes”.

I've learned not to respond to stupid people and their stupid questions. It's a waste of time to even consider it.

actionjbone

Reaction score
That was very interesting. I was an equestrian in my youth (English saddle, primarily dressage and show jumping) so I’m vaguely familiar with functional origins of the boot from western saddle standpoint. However I wasn’t aware of everything else (especially the evolution into to two different sub-species of boots).

You raise an interesting question: why do you suppose that exotic leathers persist in the cowboy boot world, but not significantly beyond that arena? I’ve seen some amazing vintage AE Polo’s with some exotic mixture of hides, and @smfdoc I believe has an insane vintage pair of AE Chesters in Alligator (which I seem to recall he picked up as NoS). I’d buy a pair of Alligator Strands if they made ‘em.

Finally, what’s the maintenance regimen for those boots?
In addition what smfdoc said, I'm guessing it's just what people were buying. "Professional" shoes are stereotypically smooth and slick, and "working" shoes have texture. And when companies start cutting costs, they cut the products that people buy less of - expensive exotic leathers.

As for care, basically the same as shoes. For my shark and eel boots, Bick 4 and a good brushing works well. And the upper legs aren't exotic leather.

Ordinary shoe trees in the feet. I keep these things in the leg holes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C3719DE

My roper boots are roughout, and I've literally done no maintenance to them, other than waterproofing.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janetmorris23