• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man; so it’s like the Florsheim grandkids not giving a crap about what Weyco puts their name on. That’s sad.
LBS shell spectators in their final state

When I bought them
View attachment 1051649

Halfway through
View attachment 1051650

As good as I can get them
View attachment 1051651

Now I'm going to wear the hell outta 'em.

Have a great Friday!
Those turned out great!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is a Conspiracy. They have a whole line of shoes/Boots called Work America. They are clearly prejudiced against Canadians!

At least when you tried to open it, the website didn't say "TAKE OFF HOSER" Or call you a keener.

I sold a couple pair of Mason Executive Imperials a few years ago. I thought (and still think) they were trying to remake a version of Florsheim Kenmoor. They were very sturdy. They would probably be comparable to lesser Florsheims of the 90's. I found a pair at an estate sale that were 12B. They were too long for me. The one thing I noticed was that they were VERY STIFF. The heel counter felt like it was metal it was so hard. I thought if I ever found a pair they would probably last forever, but they were so stiff that my feet would be blistered and sore after wearing them. I do like the idea of making an old school heavy sturdy gunboat. But, the leather seemed a little too cheap. But, the construction seemed very good. I haven't tried another pair since. But, I would be willing to try them again -- at least the LWB. I don't like the look of the other styles they have on the website.
They used to make a nice shoe, but the most recent miChina Mason Executive is pretty depressing stuff. To borrow from DavidVC “it’s a Goodyear welted shoe that you’ll never want to resole”.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Mason, here's a first look at the shell LWBs that arrived today.
IMG_6994.JPG

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In anticipation of the Chapter 11 filing of Sears, which is rumored to be happening today, a silent tribute.
View attachment 1051827
A very fine quality pair of thrifted Hanover pebble grain PTBs, for Sears, from days of yore.
View attachment 1051828
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paular...-stands-to-win-whatever-happens/#576a9efd5237
IMHO, they’ll ultimately end up in Chapter 7, I’d be shocked if they can raise DIP financing or negotiate with their suppliers, given the state of their assets, prospects or current management team. I’d say they’re going the way of Toys’R’Us in short order. Sad, because for Sears, it’s been one of the most obvious cases of gross (some say intentional) mismanagement ever seen.

Over and over, I’ve walked into their stores and wondered, “how in the world could management allow this store to be so mismanaged”. Haphazard merchandising, no associates to be seen, mislabeled pricing and descriptions, dirty floors and bathrooms - disgraceful store management, and I’ve seen it for years at virtually every location I’ve been to.

These are things that can be corrected quickly with relatively little capital investment, but they require setting standards, defining policies and then enforcing them with discipline. Seriously, where is district and regional management enforcing store hygiene; why isn’t corporate spot-checking stores - I’ve been in management in a retail giant, and this stuff is the bare basics of what it takes to keep stores viable. Sears Holdings was doing this at either Sears or KMart. Hell, there’s even a video, on youtube, of a customer at KMart, walking through an open store, and there are no employees - they just left the store, lights on, music playing, during business hours, with no employee coverage at all!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posing a question like that here is akin to hanging out in a crack house and asking whether you should take another hit.

I ultimately pulled the trigger, more so because they included the vintage Florsheim shoe trees. $42 all in.
30127858.jpg

actionjbone

Reaction score
Crazy Friday at the office, but at least I'm wearing comfy shoes.

IMG_20181012_171326766-01.jpeg

Sears LWBs made by Hanover. (They have the distinctive Hanover arch support, that's how I know.)

RIP Sears.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Sears is an interesting story.

Many years ago, they were very successful. They had big catalogs and you could buy just about anything (even house kits) and have it shipped to you.

Now there is another company that sells just about everything and ships it to you. And they (Amazon) seem to be very successful.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Weekend! The 25.00 mystery box arrived and its time for the "what the heck are these?" show. I am going to break it up into three posts because my phone is being a punk.
The first offering is the only pair in my size and the only ones I can identify. Some very well worn Allen Edmonds "Heather". Very heavy and very blocky cousin to the Leeds? Not graceful.
20181012_180021.jpg
I think I like them. Especially if I need to kick someone.
20181012_175649.jpg

Stay tuned for episodes of whipped horse butt
20181012_180657.jpg

and giant horse butt
20181012_182207.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many years ago, they were very successful. They had big catalogs and you could buy just about anything (even house kits) and have it shipped to you.

Now there is another company that sells just about everything and ships it to you. And they (Amazon) seem to be very successful.

What's crazy is when they bought Land's End, they got a company that was a real leader in ecommerce. I figured they'd maximize the brick-and-mortar footprint with Land's End, and optimize how Sears did business online through the LE model. But they never really did either in anything more than token ways. LE sorta plodded along and took up some space in Sears stores, and the Sears website is a multipersonality mess. Sad.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No dilemma. You are duty bound to buy the pair.
I tried asking this crowd about which pair of shell LWBs I should keep. It’s hopeless. They said both... and I did.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That’s a good point. They lost sight of what made them successful on multiple levels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics