• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting AE model. I can’t find any info on these. I’ve looked at old cataloged from ‘84, ‘85, and ‘86. I think these are polished cobbler. If they are I’d be even more intrigued by them. I’ve been looking for some pant loafers, ideally a pair of shell. I’m fairly certain these are not shell, but they could do. Anyone know anything about these? Paging @wasmisterfu, our resident AE expert. Thanks.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting AE model. I can’t find any info on these. I’ve looked at old cataloged from ‘84, ‘85, and ‘86. I think these are polished cobbler. If they are I’d be even more intrigued by them. I’ve been looking for some pant loafers, ideally a pair of shell. I’m fairly certain these are not shell, but they could do. Anyone know anything about these? Paging @wasmisterfu, our resident AE expert. Thanks.
Fall 1986 catalog. They’re Burgundy Polished Cobbler.

58jVEqB.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dacks was a stalwart in the shoe world. Well made shoes manufactured in Canada. Then Church's of England bought them and shifted manufacturing to Cheaney. When Prada bought Church's, it spelled the end of Dacks.

When Matthew Dacks emerged from the ruins, they maintained this Seneca model, but not in walnut calf. So these are true vintage.

These were one of their last pairs at the Toronto store. Not a preferred style but lots of sentimental value. A cobbler rebuilt with JR soles and cat paw heels.

Going into the office today.

20210615_081029.jpg
20210615_081024.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, 86-89 was peak Polished Cobbler, when AE was using some (what I’ll now call) Uber-Binder Next-Level English stuff. This version of Polished Cobbler has incredibly fine creasing; so much so that from a few feet away it can almost pass for shell:

(87 Berwick)
gKD43GH.jpg

I’m pretty confident that these listed Lexington’s in question are made of that Uber-Binder PC:
zzZKJ9e.jpg

Earlier and later Polished Cobbler wasn’t the same, as the bend wasn’t the same quality, so break and creasing was a lot more obvious (as heavy CG finishes are prone to exaggerating). The stuff wasn’t bad (as CG-like finishes go), and that earlier stuff is what I stripped for my de-corrected grain restoration shoes (revealing very good, lightly buffed-down top-grain - nothing was actually “corrected”).

However, IMHO, whatever English tannery it was that produced this stuff, to make this Uber-Binder, I wouldn’t put it past them to have been doing some fairly ghoulish raw material sourcing (they had prime, restricted diet, caged calf veal cutlets for dinner).

The stuff from just a few years earlier...
vvFHyiZ.jpg

... and later...
zGY1VFV.jpg

... just wasn’t the same.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dacks was a stalwart in the shoe world. Well made shoes manufactured in Canada. Then Church's of England bought them and shifted manufacturing to Cheaney. When Prada bought Church's, it spelled the end of Dacks.

When Matthew Dacks emerged from the ruins, they maintained this Seneca model, but not in walnut calf. So these are true vintage.

These were one of their last pairs at the Toronto store. Not a preferred style but lots of sentimental value. A cobbler rebuilt with JR soles and cat paw heels.

Going into the office today.

View attachment 1624782 View attachment 1624783
What Prada did to Church’s is a freakin crime (no spoiler, because everyone should bear witness to Prada’s grievous misdeeds):

0lTdpJz.jpg

ZsXo7Pi.jpg

qg95nqw.jpg

NXhpNA3.jpg

Be glad that Canada need not shoulder any part of this ignominy, as the Dacks label doesn’t appear on these absurdly vulgar horrors.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Prada did to Church’s is a freakin crime (no spoiler, because everyone should bear witness to Prada’s grievous misdeeds):

0lTdpJz.jpg

ZsXo7Pi.jpg

qg95nqw.jpg

NXhpNA3.jpg

Be glad that Canada need not shoulder any part of this ignominy, as the Dacks label doesn’t appear on these absurdly vulgar horrors.
It is what the Devil wears after all.

Leiker

Reaction score
I bought these Lloyd & Haig apron toe shoes NOS, wore them a few times, and the heels started to disintegrate. I took them to Garden District Shoe Repair in New Orleans for new JR heels, and can definitely recommend the work. Haibo (didn't catch his last name) is the owner/cobbler.

Also, posting these because I'd like to identify the maker and vintage of these. My understanding is that Lloyd & Haig used American (Alden, Hanover, others?) and English (Cheaney) makers. Any thoughts? The lining says "Pacifate Protected"
LH 1.jpg
LH 2.jpg
LH 3.jpg
LH 4.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought these Lloyd & Haig apron toe shoes NOS, wore them a few times, and the heels started to disintegrate. I took them to Garden District Shoe Repair in New Orleans for new JR heels, and can definitely recommend the work. Haibo (didn't catch his last name) is the owner/cobbler.

Also, posting these because I'd like to identify the maker and vintage of these. My understanding is that Lloyd & Haig used American (Alden, Hanover, others?) and English (Cheaney) makers. Any thoughts? The lining says "Pacifate Protected" View attachment 1624815 View attachment 1624816 View attachment 1624817 View attachment 1624818
They’re interesting. They look high-end “Hanover-y” in their construction. Pretty sure those are North-American.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’re interesting. They look high-end “Hanover-y” in their construction. Pretty sure those are North-American.

The Queen disagrees. MI6 agents are on their way to speak to you.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fall 1986 catalog. They’re Burgundy Polished Cobbler.

58jVEqB.jpg
I must’ve been looking up the spring catalog. I do research for a living. How in the world did I not find these through a basic Internet search?! Well, at least I have tenure so they can’t fire me now.
By the way, 86-89 was peak Polished Cobbler, when AE was using some (what I’ll now call) Uber-Binder Next-Level English stuff. This version of Polished Cobbler has incredibly fine creasing; so much so that from a few feet away it can almost pass for shell:

(87 Berwick)
gKD43GH.jpg

I’m pretty confident that these listed Lexington’s in question are made of that Uber-Binder PC:
zzZKJ9e.jpg

Earlier and later Polished Cobbler wasn’t the same, as the bend wasn’t the same quality, so break and creasing was a lot more obvious (as heavy CG finishes are prone to exaggerating). The stuff wasn’t bad (as CG-like finishes go), and that earlier stuff is what I stripped for my de-corrected grain restoration shoes (revealing very good, lightly buffed-down top-grain - nothing was actually “corrected”).

However, IMHO, whatever English tannery it was that produced this stuff, to make this Uber-Binder, I wouldn’t put it past them to have been doing some fairly ghoulish raw material sourcing (they had prime, restricted diet, caged calf veal cutlets for dinner).

The stuff from just a few years earlier...
vvFHyiZ.jpg

... and later...
zGY1VFV.jpg

... just wasn’t the same.

The first couple look really outstanding. I’ll consider grabbing them. I may also just hold out for a pair of shell. I have lots of shoes to wear as I wait...

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you would want a model made in polished cobbler? Corrected grain is not...good.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must’ve been looking up the spring catalog. I do research for a living. How in the world did I not find these through a basic Internet search?! Well, at least I have tenure so they can’t fire me now.

The first couple look really outstanding. I’ll consider grabbing them. I may also just hold out for a pair of shell. I have lots of shoes to wear as I wait...
Yeah, just to be clear... pass for shell, and actually being shell, are way different. If shell is what you want, definitely put on some nice shoes and wait. For one thing, PC has a limited life-span, no matter how good it is, eventually the finish has to be stripped to save what’s underneath (at which point, they stop being PC, and starting being something “other”). Well maintained shell, on the other hand, will last nearly for ever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads